• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wireless subwoofers... do you have/use one?

hnash53

I have a Rodgers Sound Labs Speedwoofer 10S along with its wireless transmitter.
If I didn't have the wireless, I'd be running nearly 20 feet of cable and my setup wouldn't look nearly as clean.
Very happy with it.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We use the JL Audio J-Link for two of the subs in one system. We picked this system because (a) it’s actually 2-channel (each sub needs its own processing channel) and (b) extra receivers are readily available. Many vendors only sell a transmitter/receiver package even though their devices are 2-channel capable.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Amir reviewed 2 models, if I remember correctly:

SVS:
REL:
He recommended the REL, but not the SVS transmitter.

Yes, I'd like to see more transmitters measured.
Here's the first 2 models mentioned:

RSL Speakers:
JL Audio:
EDIT:
I forgot about this shootout by a member:

Last edited:

Zoomer

I use the Dynasty WSA-5TR-V2 for 2 subs. It is dual band 5.2/5.8, stereo and supports multiple receivers per transmitter.
It uses the same module as KEF KW1 internally, but at a much lower price point.

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Could these transmitter - receiver sets be suitable for use with active surround channels too?

A key aspect of their performance (which might not be captured in the current set of tests) would be whether there is any variability in the audio delay. I.e. it wouldn't be any good if when you do the room eq calibration the delays are all 5ms, but the next day each channel has a random delay ranging between 2 and 20ms.

OP
hnash53

hnash53

For those of you who have two subs, is bass produced in stereo? If so, then the bass from each sub is slightly different from one another?
Isn't bass sort of non-directional... less pin-pointed than the higher frequencies?

-Matt-

For those of you who have two subs, is bass produced in stereo? If so, then the bass from each sub is slightly different from one another?
Isn't bass sort of non-directional... less pin-pointed than the higher frequencies?

There are different ways of doing it, to mention just two...

In a stereo setup with two subs people sometimes use the L and R channel signals to feed the subs. The low pass for the subs may be applied by the subs themselves and the high pass for the mains may even be omitted. In this case you could call them stereo subs.

In a system with an AVR, the AVR applies crossovers to all channels and combines anything below the crossover with the .1 LFE channel. (Any sort of stereo/positional information is lost due to this combining step). When adding multiple subwoofers a device such as a MiniDSP 2x4HD is typically used. (Although some AVRs are now offering multiple sub outputs). The MiniDSP (or multi-sub AVR) takes the combined bass signal and applies individual timings and EQ for each sub (so the signals are all different), with the aim of optimising bass response. I currently use this method with three subs, but really I'd still call it mono bass.

I don't particularly think that stereo subwoofers are better because if you cross at 80Hz or lower it is pretty difficult to localise. (Maybe if you had to cross much higher).

ErVikingo

aint there one also by Emotiva?

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x is capable w/ an optional transmitter. I was concerned about latency?

-Matt-

My Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x is capable w/ an optional transmitter. I was concerned about latency?

It isn't so much the latency per se (that can be factored out with delay calibration), but rather any potential variation or inconsistency in latency that would concern me. (But maybe that is what you meant).

JRS

Major Contributor
Pardon the stupid question but are we talking bluetooth for communication? And if so is there any latency? Seems perfect for MCh and sw

markk

I've been evaluating these wireless units over the last week. I have this dynasty one on the way today.
I use the Dynasty WSA-5TR-V2 for 2 subs. It is dual band 5.2/5.8, stereo and supports multiple receivers per transmitter.
It uses the same module as KEF KW1 internally, but at a much lower price point.
I've been testing these pairs in a search for a wireless surround option for my family room. I have a pair of these same Dynasty units (v2) on the way and will post my results.

I purchased a YMOO transceiver pair... this one...

Well, I can't recommend it. OK latency. FR not suitable for subwoofer duty. FR curve could be tolerable for surrounds. But poor noise floor, dynamic range and lots of distortion with simple HD and two tone IMD...

similar results with both 2i2 using rightmarkaudio and clio...

In the case of the rightmark data, the better comparison curve is the loopback of the 2i2.
In the case of the clio, the better curve is, again, the internal loopback of the clio setup.

over 10 dB down at 20Hz... Ouch...
Lots of higher order products even with a single 1k tone. Inputs not overdriven. 0.4v/0.775/2 tried as drive level. All with similarly poor distortion numbers.

Let's hope the Dynasty does better.

I have a teardown pix of this box. But, well, all the chip info is removed. Not surprising...

Attachments

• YMOO FR graph.png
    YMOO FR graph.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 37
  • comparision results.png
    comparision results.png
    159.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Clio IM distortion two tone 60h 7khz.png
    Clio IM distortion two tone 60h 7khz.png
    469.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Clio 1k HD single with loopback.png
    Clio 1k HD single with loopback.png
    488.4 KB · Views: 37
  • YMOO THD graph.png
    YMOO THD graph.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 35
  • YMOO IM graph.png
    YMOO IM graph.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Clio FR and time domain delay.png
    Clio FR and time domain delay.png
    474.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

just1n

Forum Donor
I've been evaluating these wireless units over the last week. I have this dynasty one on the way today.

I've been testing these pairs in a search for a wireless surround option for my family room. I have a pair of these same Dynasty units (v2) on the way and will post my results.

I purchased a YMOO transceiver pair... this one...

Well, I can't recommend it. OK latency. FR not suitable for subwoofer duty. FR curve could be tolerable for surrounds. But poor noise floor, dynamic range and lots of distortion with simple HD and two tone IMD...

similar results with both 2i2 using rightmarkaudio and clio...

In the case of the rightmark data, the better comparison curve is the loopback of the 2i2.
In the case of the clio, the better curve is, again, the internal loopback of the clio setup.

over 10 dB down at 20Hz... Ouch...
Lots of higher order products even with a single 1k tone. Inputs not overdriven. 0.4v/0.775/2 tried as drive level. All with similarly poor distortion numbers.

Let's hope the Dynasty does better.

I have a teardown pix of this box. But, well, all the chip info is removed. Not surprising...
Eager to see the results of the Dynasty units. I’ll be using wireless transmitters for rear surrounds, rear heights, and a pair of subs. Love to see full bandwidth results.

Zoomer

JktHifi

wireless sub-woofer is needed because it has to be placed far-away (or, in different room) so it won’t destroy clarity of left/right speaker

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got a pair of Infinity (Classia PSW310s) subs with built in wireless receivers plus a coupla transmitters. While I usually use them wired, once in a while I like to take one out on my deck to supplement my outdoor speakers. Can be quite handy.

just1n

Forum Donor
Anecdotal PSA:

Tried a 1Mii wireless transmitter with an AIYIMA two-channel amp for a recently purchased pair of surround speakers. No signal and the volume knob up a hair from zero - terrible hiss. At first I thought I had a lemon of a speaker so I tried swapping them. Same channel, different speaker - hiss. Only thing that solved it was turning the power off the transmitter.

Returning both units and just bought a Dynasty WSA-5RP. The speakers are a tough load on 50w @ 4ohm, but the rears are less than 3ft away from the MLP. The sub in/out will be nice down the road. Here’s to hoping because wireless rears are the only option for me.

markk

Anecdotal PSA:

Tried a 1Mii wireless transmitter with an AIYIMA two-channel amp for a recently purchased pair of surround speakers. No signal and the volume knob up a hair from zero - terrible hiss. At first I thought I had a lemon of a speaker so I tried swapping them. Same channel, different speaker - hiss. Only thing that solved it was turning the power off the transmitter.

Returning both units and just bought a Dynasty WSA-5RP. The speakers are a tough load on 50w @ 4ohm, but the rears are less than 3ft away from the MLP. The sub in/out will be nice down the road. Here’s to hoping because wireless rears are the only option for me.

Curious to see what you get from a listening standpoint. My testing of the Dynasty show a mediocre noise floor and high IMD... See my next post. It's better than the YMOO in some aspects, but overall, somewhat disappointing...

markk

So, I got around to testing the Dynasty.

A couple of caveats. I am slowly setting up a new testing setup and methodology for testing. So, some of the tests are a bit different/nonstandard. I would recommend you take them with a grain of salt.

First, let's look at the FR of the Dynasty using clio and multitone. I did both left and right channels with clio and a random channel with multitone. So, this looks pretty good. Definitely flatter than the YMOO and usable as a sub transceiver (from an FR standpoint).

Note that, it's my opinion that clio is a bit more accurate than the multitone generated curve at the very low end. (just because there are not enough low frequencies in the stimulus to get high resolution in the lowest octave.)

Also, the impulse response is posted (not so much that it's the time domain dual of FR and the really sharp ones can do the frequency domain conversion in your head...o_O), but because it show the latency, which is very respectable at 17 or so milliseconds...

Attachments

• Dynasty FR and impulse curve left.png
    Dynasty FR and impulse curve left.png
    461.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Dynasty FR and impulse curve.png
    Dynasty FR and impulse curve.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 37
  • dynasty FR via multitone 32AP.jpg
    dynasty FR via multitone 32AP.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Top Bottom