• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I had a private conversation with someone on ASR regarding the different Apple dongles and we tried to clarify the situation a bit.
I went through every country on Apple's website to see who gets which version to make the map I sent above and they looked at eBay photos and found out about the A1749 thing.
Thanks. It's annoying that Apple doesn't make this clear on the various websites, especially as the same A1749 model number is used.

Veri

Master Contributor
I had a private conversation with someone on ASR regarding the different Apple dongles and we tried to clarify the situation a bit.
I went through every country on Apple's website to see who gets which version to make the map I sent above and they looked at eBay photos and found out about the A1749 thing.
FYI I ordered an apple dongle from amazon.com and didn't get a "high voltage" one than the EU one I can buy here. Maybe amazon is smart like that, or it was just a fluke.. this was a while back though, couple of years ago.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I'd suggest the higher output is useful if it's to be used as a dac with line out. My current EU USB C version is too quiet used that way. Hoping to try the US version soon...
I've found that too. Apple won't let me buy from its US website. Have you found another source? I'd buy both the full output USB-C and Lightning adapters if I could.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Veri @AudioSceptic I bought my A2049 off eBay. At any time there are about 10-20 listings from the US with reasonable shipping to the EU.
All in all I paid $24/23€ to get one in Germany (bad deal when the Meizu HiFi was still available, not that bad nowadays)

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
@Veri @AudioSceptic I bought my A2049 off eBay. At any time there are about 10-20 listings from the US with reasonable shipping to the EU.
All in all I paid $24/23€ to get one in Germany (bad deal when the Meizu HiFi was still available, not that bad nowadays)
Thanks. I've found the biggest issue at eBay is avoiding fakes of well known brands. Some look very convincing.

milus

I've got my US version simply asking a friend there to put one into an envelope (within a folded letter) and send that to me. No custom fees to Spain.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I've got my US version simply asking a friend there to put one into an envelope (within a folded letter) and send that to me. No custom fees to Spain.
I think I've found a source for the Lightning US version at UK eBay. I'm waiting for them to confirm the model number on the box.

xience

Hi all,

I just got MU7E2FE/A A2049 variant of the Apple USB-C adapter for my Nokia 3.4 Android phone. When I use Apple Music/Spotify/Plexamp, the audio is muddled and remains low in volume. It sounds very ordinary, sometimes even worse than the internal DAC of the phone.

However, if I use Hiby/Neutron/UAPP to play local files, there is pristine clarity, which is just a tad bit worse than my experience with LG V20 quad DAC. The volume is so loud with just 3-4 steps on Neutron Volume control of total 100. It makes sense since my earphones have only 16 Ohm resistance.

Now, can someone please tell if my experience is normal? Or is this how its supposed to be, or could it be because of the variant which isn't MU7E2AM/A A2049? Could this be fake? Because I can swear it feels very original and just from different region (see attached picture). Apparently, its from Singapore.

I just feel disappointed about how poorly it works with the streaming services. I really wanted it to work with Apple Music at least. I will appreciate if someone can offer an insight.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-16 152426.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-07-16 152426.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

stalepie2

Major Contributor
I find the Apple USB-C dongle too loud in Windows. I often want it at about 2/100 to 20/100 with IEMs, depending on how loud the media is, but if it's people talking, the audio is often too loud. Is there any better way of adjusting this so that it's more usable with IEMs besides just keeping the volume really low?

I mean, I know I can adjust the player software's own internal volume (like in YouTube, Spotify and Foobar), keeping it set lower or halfway, while using Windows' volume control to make adjustments, but I thought that wasn't considered ideal in terms of dynamic range (not to mention having to manage two volume controls - if I switch headphones to one that's harder to drive I then need to adjust each program's internal volume).

I have tried a few volume programs. One I use is 3RVX by Matthew Malensek, which I use to get volume steps 1 at a time, instead of 2 at a time, as Windows 10 defaults to.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
@stalepie2 you can use attenuation adapters to attenuate the signal after the dongle's output.
Or get a new dongle with a more suitable volume control, either due to a more usable UAC2 volume curve, a customizable UAC2 volume curve (Shanling UA2, E1DA 9038S/9038D), or due to having two separate hardware volume controls (UAC2+hardware buttons, like the Sonata HD Pro)

Art of sound

I find the Apple USB-C dongle too loud in Windows. I often want it at about 2/100 to 20/100 with IEMs, depending on how loud the media is, but if it's people talking, the audio is often too loud. Is there any better way of adjusting this so that it's more usable with IEMs besides just keeping the volume really low?

I mean, I know I can adjust the player software's own internal volume (like in YouTube, Spotify and Foobar), keeping it set lower or halfway, while using Windows' volume control to make adjustments, but I thought that wasn't considered ideal in terms of dynamic range (not to mention having to manage two volume controls - if I switch headphones to one that's harder to drive I then need to adjust each program's internal volume).

I have tried a few volume programs. One I use is 3RVX by Matthew Malensek, which I use to get volume steps 1 at a time, instead of 2 at a time, as Windows 10 defaults to.
In Windows 10 and 11, i believe you can set separate volumes for individual apps. 16 ohm and 32ohm iem's that can be easily driven are always a pain on any device, its easier on desktops where the volume is 100 different units. desktop OS's usually remember volume settings for different devices just as they remember settings for different displays

stalepie2

Major Contributor
@stalepie2 you can use attenuation adapters to attenuate the signal after the dongle's output.
Or get a new dongle with a more suitable volume control, either due to a more usable UAC2 volume curve, a customizable UAC2 volume curve (Shanling UA2, E1DA 9038S/9038D), or due to having two separate hardware volume controls (UAC2+hardware buttons, like the Sonata HD Pro)

Thank you. I've seen these solutions before, but it seems like a problem that shouldn't exist to begin with in a properly designed product. I wondered if the Apple Lightning adapter played better with Macintoshes, if there was some kind of auto-detect circuitry that wasn't working properly when plugged into my Windows PC, or if my PC puts out too much power from that port.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Thank you. I've seen these solutions before, but it seems like a problem that shouldn't exist to begin with in a properly designed product. I wondered if the Apple Lightning adapter played better with Macintoshes, if there was some kind of auto-detect circuitry that wasn't working properly when plugged into my Windows PC, or if my PC puts out too much power from that port.
Macs don't have Lightning ports; iOS devices do. The built-in 3.5 mm headphone socket works well enough. I don't know if the Apple USB-C adapter would be any better.

nsfgp

US version?? I am sure if you have the US version Apple Dongle (1V max) .... so many people from EU/etc. will be glad to exchange his EU Apple Dongle (0.5V max) with yours.

stalepie2

Major Contributor
US version?? I am sure if you have the US version Apple Dongle (1V max) .... so many people from EU/etc. will be glad to exchange his EU Apple Dongle (0.5V max) with yours.
Yes, U.S. version. Maybe I should get the "volume controlled" Euro version instead :)

Jimster480

Major Contributor

stalepie2

Major Contributor
There is the moondrop Dawn dongle. Hasn't been tested here but it has been tested elsewhere;

Seems to be really good overall. Very affordable too.

That looks superb. I guess volume adjustments are controlled by host software (Android, Windows, etc?)

Top Bottom