Recent content by mugbot

1. mugbot

Adapter for iPhone 14Pro to use with IEM?

For most IEMs the Apple lightning to 3.5mm dongle works really well.
  2. mugbot

Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire Review

Oh you absolute legend - I'll give this a go tonight. Appreciated!!!
  3. mugbot

Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire Review

This is really cool - might be asking a bit much but would there be a way to implement this on an RME ADI-2 DAC FS? We're limited to 5 bands of EQ, plus bass/treble shelves for a total of 7, but as only 5 of these can be PK it's not possible to use the above.
  4. mugbot

What entry-level dongle does $20-50 IEM fit?

The apple lightning or usb-c dongle should be plenty for most IEMs. You could go for something like a qudelix 5k if you're looking for more functionality like eq.
  5. mugbot

New Schiit SYN - Analog Surround Sound Processor

What an interesting device, I can't think of another that is like it.
  6. mugbot

Will Focal Shape Twin plug directly into my DAC and that's all I need?

Yes, either via RCA or XLR. I've got the RCA on mine feeding into a speaker amp and it works well. You click and hold the volume wheel to switch between headphones and line out (for your speakers).
  7. mugbot

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

DSP is in the digital domain, so your chain here is: bluetooth (digital) -> Yamaha (digital to analog) -> Flex (analog to digital) -> DSP -> Flex (digital to analog) -> Speakers There's no benefit in the Yamaha DAC if you want DSP, as the signal goes through an ADC then another DAC before your...
  8. mugbot

E1DA 9038D Review (portable DAC & Amp)

Neither of those headphones are particularly demanding, many smartphones would be able to provide sufficient power for either. The 9038D will have HEAPS of power for these. Rather than investing in an amp which will have negligible impact on sound quality provided it's powerful enough - have you...
  9. mugbot

Topping DX7 Pro+ Review (DAC & HP Amp)

2W will get a pair of Aeon Noire's to 125dB. That's the entry level into a range that contains jet engines and fireworks. Listening at that level will get someone permanent hearing damage very quickly. An extra watt gets us to about 127dB. 125dB is often considered the threshold for pain.
  10. mugbot

Need Portable DAC/AMP for my KZ EDC

Improvement when compared to what source? KZ EDC is not demanding to drive, I'd be surprised if you saw much difference using anything above one of the little apple lightning/usb-c dongles. Those dongles are actually quite good for IEMs, and beat many built in DAC/AMP units within phones. You...
  11. mugbot

So I ended up purchasing a Cambridge Audio Azur 550A integrated amp off of the classifieds.

In what way? Plenty of Class-D amps out there that provide 60W.
  12. mugbot

DCA Noire + Qudelix 5k = Worthwhile to go balanced ?

Not too many but on rare occasions. I use it with an android phone, so had always blamed that as USB dongles are not 100% reliable. There are apps for example that don't seem to work with an external DAC. I've had more luck with one of the small 180' usb c connectors than I had with a cable, I...
  13. mugbot

DCA Noire + Qudelix 5k = Worthwhile to go balanced ?

I can echo the endorsement for Hart cables, I use them for all my headphones and have found them very convenient. Typically I'll run balanced for portable amps (E1DA 9038s or Qudelix 5k) but single ended for my JDS element or RME ADI-2 DAC FS. I just leave the 'tail' plugged in, and connect the...
  14. mugbot

E1DA 9038D Review (portable DAC & Amp)

Most portable amps can deliver much more power in balanced. For the record I have the A2 Noire's and E1DA 9038S and it's plenty of power.
Top Bottom