• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

suggestion for an RPi music server+player

mrjayviper

so I want to connect the DAC/amp to a RPi via USB and use some sort of browser-based dashboard to control the music.

What's available out there?

some info:

- my RPi is 3B+ version
- my music are in ALAc format (can convert to flac if required)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
so I want to connect the DAC/amp to a RPi via USB and use some sort of browser-based dashboard to control the music.

What's available out there?

some info:

- my RPi is 3B+ version
- my music are in ALAc format (can convert to flac if required)

Thanks in advance!
Assuming your music files are stored on a sharable device such as a NAS, Windows PC or even a USB drive just buy some cheap 8 ~ 16GB MicroSD cards:
  • Download MoOde, Volumio, PiCorePlayer etc.
  • Write the S/W for one of the apps to an SD card and try it out.
  • If you don't like a particular app try another.
As long as the music files are on a separate server or disk its easy to change apps and experiment. In most cases an 8GB SD cards is okay but the are becoming harder to find.

mugbot

Forum Donor
Plex?

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
OSMC is a good option for Music too. It also has the added advantage of being able to do movies as well if you connect it to a tv ...

spacessound

I don't have any experience with the other options but I installed Volumio and it has been a simple process and is reliable with the one caveat; when my phone goes to sleep, I have to reconnect to the app each time I want to address the interface... It's not a huge problem, just mildly agitating. TBH I haven't dug for a solution besides asking on the Volumio forum where no usable advice was forthcoming.

JSmith

Master Contributor
my RPi is 3B+ version
You may want to look at a newer RPi4 as fwir the 3 models had some issues with USB... although it may not be noticeable, something to consider;

JSmith

OP
M

mrjayviper

You may want to look at a newer RPi4 as fwir the 3 models had some issues with USB... although it may not be noticeable, something to consider;

JSmith
if only RPi4s are selling at pre-covid prices!!! :(

Tom C

Major Contributor
P.S.
In my hands, piCorePlayer is by far the most useable, after having tried it and Volumio, Moode, VLC, jRiver. Kodi was a close second to piCorePlayer. JRiver is excellent software, but to use its full capability, I feel it’s better to run it on a full blown desktop system. And Jriver isn’t specifically designed to run headless, which can introduce some rather annoying latency in the graphic interface. There are workarounds for JRiver and Kodi, but neither are specifically designed to run headless, whereas piCorePlayer is, which makes it smooth like butter out of the box, no clumsy workaround needed.

MCH

Major Contributor
In Europe, getting the pi4 has rarely been a problem, at least this year. Right now berrybase club has it in stock: 2 Gb bundled with PS and heatsink set for 64 euros, not that bad i think.

OP
M

mrjayviper

In Europe, getting the pi4 has rarely been a problem, at least this year. Right now berrybase club has it in stock: 2 Gb bundled with PS and heatsink set for 64 euros, not that bad i think.
The local/country distributor is only selling complete (board + charger + keyboard + micro SD sand etc) kits! smh

I don't really need the other bits

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
I have successfully used, and still use pi zero 2w -the new zero- to run:
LMS
picoreplayer
Moode w camilladsp
Camilladsp alone
With no issues at all. Of course a pi 4b is faster when working with the gui and more stable, probably better as well when using a large hdd, but other than that it is 20 euros (or less) worth every cent.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
No I thought (incorrectly it seems/maybe), it can't run Linux
You're probably thinking of the Pico which doesn't run linux. The original Zero was broadly comparable to the original Pi in terms of memory and processing power. The newer Zero 2 ups the processing power but still has 512MB RAM. That's enough for piCorePlayer but some of the others might need more. I'm not sure whether is has the same potential issue with USB as the Pi 3 and earlier, but I've never run into that with piCorePlayer anyway, despite having tried to provoke it.

Wino

I use 3 RPI 4's all running picoreplayer connecting to Logitech Media Server. Free and easy to setup. 2 use USB to dac and 1 uses a pi2aes to coax to Denon Reciever. There are cheaper hats like hifiberry. They synch to every room or can run separately. I control them on my phone with Squeeze Ctrl. If you have an iPhone, try ipeng. I also have the RPI 7" screens connected to each using jivelite. Again easy to setup. I play dsf, flac files exclusively. I also connect to Tidal. I tried Volumio and Moode and preferred picoreplayer.

Top Bottom