Recent content by differenceclouds

1. differenceclouds

Can anyone identify these speakers

Yeah after the other guy clocked them as corals I went down that rabbit hole for a bit. Very beautifully made drivers.
  2. differenceclouds

OMG he's doing it wrong?? Someone should tell him!
  3. differenceclouds

Woah. those are quite interesting. nailed it! The guy in the video is the subject of a documentary, Moriyama-San (I don't think the video is from the doc). I haven't seen it yet but it's on my radar right now as a rare intersection of japanese architecture and experimental music...
  4. differenceclouds

nice. JBL L56 or maybe L46. I assume that's what he mostly uses. the bottom pair look interesting though, a bit older.
  5. differenceclouds

from this video: Two pairs of speakers. top seem to be JBLs. Very cool minimal setup.
  6. differenceclouds

MT-ViKI MT-431AV 4 Way Switch Review

Yeah I have this model and I found that as long as the inputs are connected to something there was no (audible) crosstalk issue. Why would you switch to an input you aren't using? It could be a poor mute switch I guess.
  7. differenceclouds

Henry Engineering Matchbox HD RCA/XLR Converter

For that amount of money I would just get a new device that outputs a balanced signal if I felt I really needed that. Something that does this job should be like $50 max imo. I could see a venue using it as a DI box for artists who just have line out to the PA, but having to plug it in to the...
  8. differenceclouds

What gear you wouldn't buy because of its name or cult status.

It's really an industrial design thing for me. The car amp has a nice look to me but only due to the standardized form-factor of the enclosure. My favorite era for design is definitely 1980s mid-budget stuff. I love the professional, usable and understated look of stuff from NAD, early Yamaha...
  9. differenceclouds

What gear you wouldn't buy because of its name or cult status.

Honestly the vibe of bigger "luxury" audio brands like McIntosh, Klipsch, Focal, etc is off-putting to me and doesn't communicate anything appealing to me as a consumer other than "Buy this if you're a boomer with cash"
  10. differenceclouds

Koss "Utility Series" lightning / usb-c cables vs Apple lightning dongle

I have a pair of the Koss KPH40 Utility headphones. The utility series comes with a detachable cable that is essentially a long dongle (...) that ends in either a normal 1/8th inch jack or a digital connection. It's kind of an odd system, and ultimately I wish they sold a non-Utility version of...
  11. differenceclouds

Focusrite has to be the most overrated interface ever

I think for many users of such products, reliability, stability, lack of glitches, and ease of use are more important than small measurement differences. It seems Motu has improved in this regard. I used a Focusrite Saffire LE for years and it was great. That was firewire, I miss firewire...
  12. differenceclouds

MOTU UltraLite-mk5 Review (Audio Interface)

it turns on automatically if you plug it in, so you could just use a power strip or something. I wouldn't worry about the knob wearing out or even turning it off at all for that matter.
  13. differenceclouds

Source vs Dac vs Amp Volume

It really depends on the setup. Especially if you're working with older gear, you often need to balance everything to reduce noise or distortion. Newer gear, especially the stuff recommended here doesn't have these issues. If your (pre)amp has channel imbalance at low levels for example, or you...
  14. differenceclouds

The kit we bought, our current setups

Cheapo RCA switcher, Aiyima A07, 1980s Sequerra Met-7s. Cleannnnnn! MOTU ultralite mk5 into input one as DAC, 90s Rotel receiver into input two as preamp, with turntable, cd and tape players plugged into that. This setup prioritizes the clean signal from the dac, and the older hifi equipment is...
Top Bottom