• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers choice, Akai amp

Given restrictions, what would be your choice?

• Focal 906

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JBL hdi-1600

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Ravel m106

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Ravel m16

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Elac dbr 62

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Bohdan

Hello everyone,

Asking for suggestion, tip, advise about speakers for my amp. I am currently digging into other threads about impedance and other sources, but here is my situation:

I have lovely (in my opinion) vintage Akai AM-2350 ingerated amp. and I am looking for bookshelf speakers to to make a 2.0 or 2.1 system. My previous speakers were Fluance Signature HFS (amir had similar set for review) and it was just fine but always felt something is missing and some songs were too bright at high frequency at times. I am not a fan of "s" or "c" piercing my ears :)
My current choices are obviously from Amirs approved (aka recommended list)
-Focal 906
-JBL hdi-1600
-Ravel m106
-Ravel m16
-Elac dbr 62

I dont want to change amp. it asks for typical 4-8 ohm speaker impedance. I listen at different SPL, variouse distances, and room set up can change in the future.

Will am-2350 feel ok when speaker dips just below 4 ohm or lets say stays close to 4-5 ohm like M106? And your general recommendation. (focals look nice)

Link: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/akai/am-2350.shtml

Much appreciated

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not a fan of "s" or "c" piercing my ears
Some people refer to that as sibilance.

I recommend you get a new amplifier.
akai.png

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I like the idea of keeping a vintage amplifier but sometimes to get a good result you have to be pragmatic.
This amplifier comes from a time when power was still very expensive and today we know that amplifiers for main speakers must be powerful enough to guarantee the absence of distortion and I am not sure that this one guarantees anything.
If I want to stay in a vintage amplification I will look at the Yamaha AX-396, it's only an example ;)

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...age-yamaha-ax-396-integrated-amplifier.10410/

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the idea of keeping a vintage amplifier but sometimes to get a good result you have to be pragmatic.
This amplifier comes from a time when power was still very expensive and today we know that amplifiers for main speakers must be powerful enough to guarantee the absence of distortion and I am not sure that this one guarantees anything.
The Sanyo STK-082 amplifier IC is not a good sounding thing. They blow really easy too. Not good. They cost USD $6.22 new today. Junk electronics stuFF.
Sanyo-STK082.jpg

If I want to stay in a vintage amplification I will look at the Yamaha AX-396, it's only an example
That's a nice amp although they are getting old and may require service. This guy is better off with a new amp/receiver. Depending on the speakers impedance of course. So @Bohdan select your speakers so you know what amp to purchase.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Akai AM-2350
That is quite weird... I have exactly the same amp in one system, has been in action since 1976 and still going strong. No upgrades, cap replacements etc., all original. It's in a rack with the matching tuner unit, tape deck and turntable on top. Only 2 weeks ago one light went on one VU/Power meter... was gutted, although I think it's just a corroded connection. Old fella always needs a good warm up too, probably has high distortion but is a nice warm and full sound. Have been considering getting it restored for a number of years as it is just so sexy, like literal audio pron. :cool:

7e545982-f3ad-4bd6-9d54-7e04bdbb8db4.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

JSmith

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The Sanyo STK-082 amplifier IC is not a good sounding thing. They blow really easy too. Not good. They cost USD $6.22 new today.

That picture is a cheap Chinese copy made with SMD parts on a PCB. Fake. The original Sanyos haven't been made for 35 years.

The OP said "I dont want to change amp"- that's fair enough. Sure, he could do better, but there's nothing wrong with the old Akai. It has plenty of inputs, a phono stage, two tape loops, tone controls and can run two pairs of speakers. The selector is showing it runs A+B in parallel- not something I'd be doing however.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That picture is a cheap Chinese copy made with SMD parts on a PCB. Fake. The original Sanyos haven't been made for 35 years.

The OP said "I dont want to change amp"- that's fair enough. Sure, he could do better, but there's nothing wrong with the old Akai. It has plenty of inputs, a phono stage, two tape loops, tone controls and can run two pairs of speakers. The selector is showing it runs A+B in parallel- not something I'd be doing however.
What is your opinion of running the STK-082 into 4Ω?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hm, how does that amplifier handle "aggressive" speakers? That is, speakers where the impedance flutters very much up and down? Which requires the amplifier to handle those loads. Shouldn't it be a priority, that is, to choose "amplifier-friendly" speakers together with it? Or am I wrong now?

By the way, how the hell do you know which of the suggested speakers is "amplifier friendly"?!?
In any case, I'm curious if anyone knows. Is it possible to hm based on construction, that is, can one suspect from it how "amplifier-friendly" a speaker is or does the speaker have to be measured and examined? To be clear about that, so to speak.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okies onto speakers. :D

-Focal 906 Nominal impedance 8Ώ, minimum impedance 4.6Ώ
-JBL hdi-1600 Nominal Impedance 4 Ohm, Min Impedance 3.8 Ohm
-Revel m106 Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms, Min 4.6 Ohm
-Revel m16 Nominal Impedance 6 Ohms, Min ~4 Ohm
-Elac dbr62 Nominal Impedance 6 Ohms, Min 5 Ohms (With phase issue at min impedance.)

I suggest you stay away from the Elac with the Akai as the amp. All the others are a matter of your taste.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Suggestions. If Akai is to be retained. To make it easier for it. To use the relatively few watts in the Akai amp.

Split the signal before amplifiers. Run active subwoofers, with their own separate amplifiers to sub that is. HP -LP filter. The top speakers are powered by Akai.:)

Of course it depends on whether you feel for it. It's a bit of a chore to get it done so it sounds good. That is, the integration of sub-full-range speakers (80 / 100-20,000 Hz).

Edit:
35 W i 8 Ohm. By relieving Akai in the lowest frequencies, the risk of it being driven into clipping should be reduced, or what do you think?

Given the effect on Akai, high-sensitivity speakers should be the number one priority. Or?

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
The late STK's MK5 or V (five) ware rather great with THD of 0.08, the X (ten) series even 0.02 (but this is not one of those). Wouldn't recommend speakers that deep under 4 Ohm's ideal (for STK) would be 8 to 4.7.
From enlisted ones definitely Ravel m106.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
STK-082
THD is a bit high, being picky. It appears they may have undervolted it. - Stereo 23.7V DC @ 35W/ch, 3A/ch @ clipping.
stk - 1.png

stk - 2.png

DanielT

Major Contributor
Speakers that fit a tube amp would fit that Akai? High sensitivity, even in impedance?

For example, a couple like this:

Speakers designed by Ingvar Öhman (ino audio) for Hesselvall Audio (Erik Andersson Ola Hesselvall) to fit in with their tube amplifierThe Dream.

Very easy-to-drive speakers with even impedance.99dB / w in 4 ohms.

The speakers are designed to be driven by a tube anplifier.

Attachments

• DSCF6432-768x512.jpg
    DSCF6432-768x512.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 61

DanielT

Major Contributor
My guess regarding the speakers I mentioned in my previous post.
Those Hesselvall speakers themselves have higher distortion than many of the others suggested in the thread. A compromise to achieve high sensitivity, the Hesselvall speakers. Although it should be added that this particular designer is manic about reducing distortion (and creating an even frequency curve).

A pair of speakers with low sensitivity and low distortion. Driven by a low-power amplifier can sound bad. Note can, not the fact that it does. Depends on the type of music you play and at what volume. In any case, an amplifier that clip sounds too damn bad.

You can test it yourself by turning the volume up on your mobile or tablet. Drive the amplifier into clipping. It sounds too damn bad. Terribly awful sound then.o_O
Yes I know it's like night and day comparing an amplifier in mobile or tablet with that Akai. Just look for this with pushing amplifiers into clipping.

Edit:
Level distortion Akai, but as long as it is not driven into clipping .Compare that level of Akai amp distortion with the level of distorsion that speakers, unfortunately, can have. Speakers vs the Akai easily ten times as much. Even a hundred times as much distortion (then it's the question when distortion becomes audible, but that's another question).

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
new amp suggestion
… or start on the road to separates. ;)

JSmith

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
… or start on the road to separates. ;)

JSmith
Those are the Denons that we analyzed months ago? Those where cool.

Top Bottom