• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Krunok

Major Contributor
I already have Volumio running on a Rasberry Pi. It's in my AV room.

So you're suggesting that I give up at having music at my computer. Just come downstairs to use my web browser to select tracks to play and then run up two flights of stairs to the second floor of my house to listen to the music? If my phone rings, run down the stairs to push pause through the web browser and then run to a phone? And I get the benefit of a dog-slow interface compared to directly browsing music on the local hard drive on my computer!

Yes, that's exactly what I suggest. Considering the capacity of your NAS you should be able to find enough space on it to accomodate your music collection, right? This is how it works for me: all my music (and videos) is on the NAS, which is accessible from my home WiFi network. I have 3 TVs and 3 sound systems in my apartment, but as one TV and one sound system is in my kids room let's disregard that and count only 2. Each TV can play videos from the NAS via WiFi network, and the same goes for playing music - in the living room I have RPI running Volumio and in the bedroom I have HEOS Home cinema. As both are UPnP/DLNA capable I can control them either via my Android phone running Bubble UPnP app or via my notebook running Linn Kinsky app. BTW, not only it works fine but Bubble UPnP app is clever enough to pause the music when I take up the phone call. :p

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know what to make of this discussion. Are the USB problems with the D10 limited to a few unlucky owners of computers with wonky USB ports, or is this widespread? It was doubts about the the D10's stability which got me to buy a D30 instead.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I don't know what to make of this discussion. Are the USB problems with the D10 limited to a few unlucky owners of computers with wonky USB ports, or is this widespread? It was doubts about the the D10's stability which got me to buy a D30 instead.

IMHO, as it works fine with RPI "wonky USB ports" theory may as well be correct.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So you're suggesting that I give up at having music at my computer. Just come downstairs to use my web browser to select tracks to play and then run up two flights of stairs to the second floor of my house to listen to the music? If my phone rings, run down the stairs to push pause through the web browser and then run to a phone? And I get the benefit of a dog-slow interface compared to directly browsing music on the local hard drive on my computer!
Might be a good addition to your cardio routine, listen to music and get exercise at the same time. :cool:

έχω δίκιο

Yes, that's exactly what I suggest. Considering the capacity of your NAS you should be able to find enough space on it to accomodate your music collection, right?
It's already on there. That's where the Volumio server gets its music.
This is how it works for me
That's an insane level of complexity in order to access my music through a slower, less convenient interface.

I've got a MIDI keyboard that I use with GarageBand on the Mac. I have Audacity for editing audio. I have games that I play on the Mac. I have an SDR dongle that I use on the Mac for shortwave radio listening. I use my Mac as a speakerphone when I receive a call on my iPhone (often not even in the same room as I am). I use the Mac for Facetime video calls. Volumio running on a Raspberry Pi isn't a suitable sound option for any of those applications.

I just want this: iMac Pro -- > D10 --> Parasound Amp --> Near field monitors + Subwoofer.
If the D10 won't work, I'll put my ODAC back in place and return the D10.
IMHO, as it works fine with RPI "wonky USB ports" theory may as well be correct.
Sure, my $5000 iMac Pro has "wonky USB ports" that work fine with everything other than one $90 Chinese DAC. And the USB ports on my Gigabyte-based Ryzen system are wonky too. Timbo2's Nvidia Shield TV has wonky USB port. Snarfie's USB hub has wonky USB port and so does mine. The only measure of true USB perfection is the Raspberry Pi, a board designed by people who thought it would be clever to have a 10/100 Ethernet port and four USB 2.0 ports share one USB 2.0 hub.

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
Sure, my $5000 iMac Pro has "wonky USB ports" that work fine with everything other than one $90 Chinese DAC. And the USB ports on my Gigabyte-based Ryzen system are wonky too. Timbo2's Nvidia Shield TV has wonky USB port. Snarfie's USB hub has wonky USB port and so does mine. The only measure of true USB perfection is the Raspberry Pi, a board designed by people who thought it would be clever to have a 10/100 Ethernet port and four USB 2.0 ports share one USB 2.0 hub.

Well, D10 also worked well on my $1000 Lenovo notebook running Windows 10. :p

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's already on there. That's where the Volumio server gets its music.

Snarfie's USB hub has wonky USB port and so does mine. The only measure of true USB perfection is the Raspberry Pi, a board designed by people who thought it would be clever to have a 10/100 Ethernet port and four USB 2.0 ports share one USB 2.0 hub.

I love this site έχω δίκιο did put me on the right (USB Wonky) track. Guess what it could be that my Wonky USB HUB is connected to my 3.0 USB laptop input an my powerd Wonky USB HUB is 2.0. Yes i put it in the laptop USB 2.0 input and did the test again problem solved also in Sleep mode my D10 is waking up now. So at the end i have 0 problems with the D10. It looks like the D10 is looking for the same connectivity between HUB's en laptops. Keep it on beeing illiterate regading USB connectivity. ;)

Last edited:

bakker_be

Steps to reproduce:
  • Plug D10 into to USB port.
  • Verify that D10 displays a valid sample rate (e.g. 44.1, 192, etc.).
  • Verify that D10 is working by playing audio through it.
  • Put computer into sleep mode.
  • D10 will first display “- - -“
    • If the display goes blank, the computer you are using does not supply power to USB port during sleep.
  • After 10 seconds, display will dim, still showing “- - -“
  • After about 50 more seconds, display will change to a single decimal point (.), still dim.
  • Wake computer from sleep
  • Topping D10 will continue to display the single, dim decimal point.
  • Attempt to play music again.
  • Display will not change and no sound will be heard.
Note: If the computer does not supply power to the USB ports during sleep, the D10 will power back up when the computer comes out of sleep and everything will work fine. If the D10 is connected to a powered USB hub, I expect that it will fail to wake after sleep.
I tried the steps outlined above and much to my relief everything works as it should. Details:
  • Plug in D10 through the power supply of my HP Envy X2 which is actually a USB hub as well --> Win10 native driver installation starts
  • "44.1 PCM" displayed, quickly plugged in KZ IEM into the A30 just to verify correct functioning
  • Computer put to sleep
  • Display dims and shows "---", progresses to show the single decimal point
  • Wake computer
  • I hear the relay click in the D10 and "44.1 PCM" is displayed again
  • Music plays
I've tried the same procedure plugging the D10 into the single USB-A port my HP ENVY X2 has and get exactly the same results.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I tried the steps outlined above and much to my relief everything works as it should. Details:
  • Plug in D10 through the power supply of my HP Envy X2 which is actually a USB hub as well --> Win10 native driver installation starts
  • "44.1 PCM" displayed, quickly plugged in KZ IEM into the A30 just to verify correct functioning
  • Computer put to sleep
  • Display dims and shows "---", progresses to show the single decimal point
  • Wake computer
  • I hear the relay click in the D10 and "44.1 PCM" is displayed again
  • Music plays
I've tried the same procedure plugging the D10 into the single USB-A port my HP ENVY X2 has and get exactly the same results.

It only doesn't work with $5000 iMac Pro. ;)

Timbo2

I thought you said it works with previous firmware version.

Besides, $180 Nvidia Shield doesn't sound nearly as bold as $5000 iMac Pro. :p

Yes, it does work on the original firmware. Although not in a way I would want to use exclusively. Every time the device stops outputting sound it will sleep the D10. It means it misses the first milliseconds of menu sounds and cycles the relay nonstop.

No big deal for my use with Kodi and YouTube which keep the sound output open under most use.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Yes, it does work on the original firmware. Although not in a way I would want to use exclusively. Every time the device stops outputting sound it will sleep the D10. It means it misses the first milliseconds of menu sounds and cycles the relay nonstop.

No big deal for my use with Kodi and YouTube which keep the sound output open under most use.

Well, I tried to hook up D10 to my $50 Android TV box and it worked fine. It seems the more expensive equipment you're hooking D10 to the more problem you can expect. :D

Timbo2

Well, I tried to hook up D10 to my $50 Android TV box and it worked fine. It seems the more expensive equipment you're hooking D10 to the more problem you can expect. :D

So a true audiophile device! Many problems that must be overcome in the quest for ultimate fidelity.

(Most cheap Android TV boxes are not Android TV, they are usually using a hacked version of AOSP and behind the scenes think they are a tablet. Google is pretty restrictive on what you need to be a genuine TV implementation of Android.)

Krunok

Major Contributor
So a true audiophile device! Many problems that must be overcome in the quest for ultimate fidelity.

(Most cheap Android TV boxes are not Android TV, they are usually using a hacked version of AOSP and behind the scenes think they are a tablet. Google is pretty restrictive on what you need to be a genuine TV implementation of Android.)

LOL :D

This is the box: https://www.xiaomitoday.com/tanix-tx8-tv-box-review/

It worked very well with D10 and USB Audio Player Pro software. (http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/products/usb-audio-player-pro)

Top Bottom