• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the input. So what’s remaining is whether I should get the EX5 or save a bit more for the next D7x Pro or even the slack..

In theory, the amp in the EX5 is a downgrade from the one in my A50s. In practice, I can't tell the difference (I have driven the A50s from the RCA out on the EX5 to casually test this).

Hydrav

I don't have that issue with either the stock, RC-15A remote, or the nicer RC-21 remote. I can point either remote almost tangentially to the EX5 and get a response. I am sitting pretty close to it though.

I find the volume control much less fiddly than the one on my Topping A50s. However, I do have the EX5 elevated on a glass monitor shelf sitting on my desk.

I run Windows at 96k (and i'm applying EQ for both headphones and monitors with eAPO)

Thanks for the reply! I've got the RC-15A remote. I just plopped in a new set of batteries, and it behaves the same. If the remote is in front of, completely level and at a distance of less than approx 50cm of the EX5, yes, I can point it perpendicular and the EX5 will register the input. However, at a distance of above 50cm, and/or if the remote is not level or in front of the EX5, it won't register UNLESS the remote is pointing at an area around the display - The area it has to be pointing is about approx 10cms above, 20 cms to the left and right of the display. Anyway, it's a pet peeve of mine, I've had the same remote problems with a few TVs, both Samsung and LG, where I found the remotes/IR receivers were too strict. I wonder if having the EX5 elevated makes it easier for it to receive the signals?

I'm sure the volume dial is much easier to use when the EX5 is elevated, because you can get your fingers properly around it. When placed straight on a table however, the surface of the table slightly obstructs the bottom of the knob. Initially I thought the bigger diameter dial was better, but now I'm thinking RME ADI-2 FS narrower style dial is a better design.

I think I'll use 96k as well ('m not using EQ with eAPO). My impression is it only makes a difference if you have a lower sample rate than the source audio file?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply! I've got the RC-15A remote. I just plopped in a new set of batteries, and it behaves the same. If the remote is in front of, completely level and at a distance of less than approx 50cm of the EX5, yes, I can point it perpendicular and the EX5 will register the input. However, at a distance of above 50cm, and/or if the remote is not level or in front of the EX5, it won't register UNLESS the remote is pointing at an area around the display - The area it has to be pointing is about approx 10cms above, 20 cms to the left and right of the display. Anyway, it's a pet peeve of mine, I've had the same remote problems with a few TVs, both Samsung and LG, where I found the remotes/IR receivers were too strict. I wonder if having the EX5 elevated makes it easier for it to receive the signals?

I'm sure the volume dial is much easier to use when the EX5 is elevated, because you can get your fingers properly around it. When placed straight on a table however, the surface of the table slightly obstructs the bottom of the knob. Initially I thought the bigger diameter dial was better, but now I'm thinking RME ADI-2 FS narrower style dial is a better design.

I think I'll use 96k as well ('m not using EQ with eAPO). My impression is it only makes a difference if you have a lower sample rate than the source audio file?

I just replicated the same behaviour as you with the remote more than 50cm away (mine usualy sits on my desk, about 30cm infront of the EX5).

The situation with Windows, sample rates and audio quality can be complicated (but doesn't have to be). There is an explaination and some good suggestions for default settings here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nding-the-windows-audio-quality-debate.19438/

BittyBatman

Hi I'm looking to pair these with my IotaVX/Elac B5.2s and open x aeons, any thoughts if they'd be adequate.

David_M

How do I enable ASIO in windows for the EX5? The topping app says "ASIO not active"

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do I enable ASIO in windows for the EX5? The topping app says "ASIO not active"

Is the EX5 connected via USB? Does it say 'not active' in the systray control app?

1636797911778.png

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi I'm looking to pair these with my IotaVX/Elac B5.2s and open x aeons, any thoughts if they'd be adequate.

The EX5 will be fine. If you're not going to use the balanced output, I would normally suggest considering the cheaper Topping DX3 Pro+ which has a more powerful amp. Howewver, the DX3 Pro+ has some difficulty driving low impedance headphones (The AEON OPEN X are 13 Ohm accroding to Drop) and actually delivers less power than the EX5 in this case.

See the last graph and Amirm's comments about clipping and protection in the summary for the DX3 Pro+: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pping-dx3-pro-review-dac-headphone-amp.27148/

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, connection via USB for my laptop and Optical from my LG C1 TV's audio output.

View attachment 165132

Are you actually playing something using ASIO? For example, in Musicbee, I would need to select 'ASIO' as the output and 'Topping USB Audio Device' as the device...

1636828165197.png

It would then show ASIO being active in the Topping Control Panel...

1636828269464.png

David_M

I tried generic Windows Media Player and couldn't find any ASIO options. I thought simply passing any audio (from my TV or WMP) would engage the ASIO driver.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried generic Windows Media Player and couldn't find any ASIO options. I thought simply passing any audio (from my TV or WMP) would engage the ASIO driver.

No, you have to use software that can use the ASIO driver directly or a digital mixer like Voicemeeter which will allow you to route the standard Windows audio (DirectSound) through to an ASIO device.

David_M

No, you have to use software that can use the ASIO driver directly or a digital mixer like Voicemeeter which will allow you to route the standard Windows audio (DirectSound) through to an ASIO device.

Thank you ... I'm new to all this ASIO stuff, hence the naivete of my questions. Two questions for you.

1. Once I'm set up to use the right ASIO compatible music player, I find I need to EQ my somewhat boomy system. Which SW would you recommend that will allow me EQ my sound to tame the midbass booms from my 2.1 audio computer system (speakers+sub).

2. How can I increase the gain of my RCA outputs. The gain function works for my headphones ("M" on the remote) but doesn't seem to work on my RCA outputs, at least I don't know how to make it so.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you ... I'm new to all this ASIO stuff, hence the naivete of my questions. Two questions for you.

1. Once I'm set up to use the right ASIO compatible music player, I find I need to EQ my somewhat boomy system. Which SW would you recommend that will allow me EQ my sound to tame the midbass booms from my 2.1 audio computer system (speakers+sub).

2. How can I increase the gain of my RCA outputs. The gain function works for my headphones ("M" on the remote) but doesn't seem to work on my RCA outputs, at least I don't know how to make it so.

1. I use Equalizer APO and the PEACE front end for it.

2. Line out doesn't have a gain setting. Setting the volume to 100 will provide the maximum output to the RCA connectors when the EX5 is in PRE mode. Why do you think you need more 'gain' on the line output?

Also, why are you trying to use ASIO? There's little benefit over DirectSound for listenting to music and it can be fiddly to setup and use (I've played with it, but I don't use it anymore). You might wat to have a read through this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nding-the-windows-audio-quality-debate.19438/

David_M

1. I use Equalizer APO and the PEACE front end for it.

2. Line out doesn't have a gain setting. Setting the volume to 100 will provide the maximum output to the RCA connectors when the EX5 is in PRE mode. Why do you think you need more 'gain' on the line output?

Also, why are you trying to use ASIO? There's little benefit over DirectSound for listenting to music and it can be fiddly to setup and use (I've played with it, but I don't use it anymore). You might wat to have a read through this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nding-the-windows-audio-quality-debate.19438/
Thanks for the referrals... I come from a DragonFly RED USB DAC (ESS9016) with a rated 2.1V output level ... and I just found out that the EX5 is also rated at 2.1 Vrms or 5.9Vpp as stated in its datasheet. So, they should have the same volume.

Now as to why I thought the gain was adjustable is that the data sheet says 5.9Vpp @G=L and 18.3Vpp (6.5Vrms) @G=H as shown below in PRE mode.

1636848831122.png

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the referrals... I come from a DragonFly RED USB DAC (ESS9016) with a rated 2.1V output level ... and I just found out that the EX5 is also rated at 2.1 Vrms or 5.9Vpp as stated in its datasheet. So, they should have the same volume.

Now as to why I thought the gain was adjustable is that the data sheet says 5.9Vpp @G=L and 18.3Vpp (6.5Vrms) @G=H as shown below in PRE mode.

View attachment 165194

Not sure where you got your data sheet from, but mine says...

1636849609245.png

You're quoting the figures for the Headphone Amplifier section...

1636849665295.png

1636849697771.png

David_M

Not sure where you got your data sheet from, but mine says...

View attachment 165200

You're quoting the figures for the Headphone Amplifier section...

View attachment 165201
View attachment 165202
Yes, you are correct. I am mistaken... and I just found out that my 2.1 Klipsch speaker system has a volume control that I had set at the lower end at some point in time, hence the lower than normal volume I was getting and the cries for more output levels from the EX5 DAC:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:... ( I now slowly slither away into obscurity).

Thanks for your answers and patience, Berwhale!
God bless!

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, you are correct. I am mistaken... and I just found out that my 2.1 Klipsch speaker system has a volume control that I had set at the lower end at some point in time, hence the lower than normal volume I was getting and the cries for more output levels from the EX5 DAC:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:... ( I now slowly slither away into obscurity).

Thanks for your answers and patience, Berwhale!
God bless!

You're welcome! I think it's fair to say that we've all done something similar!

Sensation

My PC is well grounded.

However, there seems to be a crucial problem with ex5.

When earphones are connected to the unbalanced jack on the front, electricity is flowing.

It's the same no matter how many different earphones you change.

If anyone feels the same as me, please let me know.

Attachments

• 444.jpg
    444.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 152
Top Bottom