• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed, it is. I'd say the surface is irrelevant, as the KH420 crosses its dome at 2 kHz, while the 1237A's cone is done at 3 kHz (while being crossed ~100 Hz lower); the phase plug must not be for show.
It unfortunately isn't as the distance between tweeter and mid driver becomes bigger and thus also the discontinuities in the vertical directivity at the crossover frequency (unfortunately Genelec doesn't provide measurements on that contrary to Neumann), everything is a compromise.

Elkios

It unfortunately isn't as the distance between tweeter and mid driver becomes bigger and thus also the discontinuities in the vertical directivity at the crossover frequency (unfortunately Genelec doesn't provide measurements on that contrary to Neumann), everything is a compromise.
Have you heard the Ex Machinas?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Hmmm, true. The manual contains vertical directivity (in gross JPEGs full of artifacts); on the other hand, I'd really like Neumann to give power response.
index.php

Attachments

• 2021-11-07_12:17:46.png
    2021-11-07_12:17:46.png
    299.2 KB · Views: 714

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Why do you think that the HD and IMD of the Neumann are worse? Due to a more modern driver design and higher crossover actually they are better.
They are the same if not worse if we accept these different measurements
1% for Neumann at 96 db at 300hz
Where the ATC is lower than 45db from 300hz in the active and from 100hz in the passive.
1636288583190.png

Attachments

• 1636288331266.png
    1636288331266.png
    135.3 KB · Views: 75

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm, true. The manual contains vertical directivity (in gross JPEGs full of artifacts); on the other hand, I'd really like Neumann to give power response.
Yes, the Neumann vertical sonogramme is smoother and has as expected a smaller dip at the crossover region

1636289626624.png

and I also wish they (and every loudspeaker manufacturer) would even publish spinorama with full horizontal and vertical angle measurements like Amir and Erin do, but thankfully these test more and more loudspeakers nowadays.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are the same if not worse if we accept these different measurements
1% for Neumann at 96 db at 300hz
Where the ATC is lower than 45db from 300hz in the active and from 100hz in the passive.
At 300 Hz where the Neumann has its 1% peak the woofer is active as the mid is crossed higher, also different measurements conditions are to be compared with caution, better the above posted comparison of S&R which measured both KH310 and SCM25 Pro.

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A home speaker is ideal when it can reproduce a recording as faithfully as possible.
And this is where it all falls apart for the home speaker which rarely can ever be "ideal" regardless of cost because full range speakers cannot faithfully reproduce any recording below the room's transition frequency (generally between 100Hz to 200Hz depending on the room) unless its bass drivers can be moved physically to different parts of the room due to the dramatic effect caused by room modes (which create significant dips and peaks). The only way to address these modes is by (1) physically decoupling the drivers that produce sound below the transition frequency and placing them in areas of the room that allows the main listening position to receive all the bass information without dips then (2) use DSP to lower peaks down to neutral. The above issues are difficult nay impossible to solve with full range passive speakers (the typical "home speaker") packaged in one tower unless your room happens to be shaped such that your MLP is perfectly positioned where there are no modes at all between 30Hz and 200Hz. This is why mastering studios have various DSP tools at their disposal to ensure that there are no room modes at the listening position.

Home speakers that are part of a home theater, thankfully have DSP in the processor and multiple subwoofers to take into account these room modes.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Then i need to tell this guy that he's wrong
The motor weighs more because ATC uses a ferrite magnet and Neumann specced a neodymium magnet. Neo magnets are way more powerful per weight than ferrite. I don't understand how this is complicated.

As for the ATC vs Neumann midrange dome argument: They're both excellent drivers and won't be the weak point in any speaker. Neumann's is crossed a bit higher, though ATC's is crossed unusually low for a dome mid.

Soundmixer

The job of the mixer is to ensure the music sounds good in as many speakers as possible, not just well designed speakers. I believe this is the theory behind using "fatiguing" speakers for mixing where you would never use it for luxury listening but need to use it to "hear into" worst parts of the mix which will sound similarly bad on similar speakers.
You don't want to mix on bad speakers, and in the film industry, we don't even monitor or check a mix on a bad speaker. However, the music guys do check their mixes on the NS10 or other speakers that perform similarly. I don't know any mixing engineer who actually does a mix on a bad speaker, I would think that would be counterproductive. But I do think it is imperative to monitor your music mix on as many speakers as the studio has. You are correct. You should make sure your music mix sounds good on good speakers but sounds acceptable on bad speakers.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
is this true?(taken from GS)
View attachment 163708
If your goal is to hear tiny problems in the midrange, then the ATC will be better for sure. I don't see that as being down to the driver, but rather the tuning of the speaker. ATC tunes their mids 2-3dB louder than the rest of the spectrum, whereas Neumann plays all of their drivers at the same spl. The consequence of the ATC tuning is that it will be:

1. Harder to hear errors in the bass/treble
2. Higher chance of ending up with a mid recessed mix(engineer will have to compensate to prevent this)
3. The sound is less pleasurable overall to most people(maybe not a huge deal for mixing), as most people prefer a balanced sound.

Playing the drivers at the same SPL, I would expect them to sound very similar, with the Neumann having a bit less distortion.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Neumann's is crossed a bit higher, though ATC's is crossed unusually low for a dome mid.

That doesn't necessarily mean the ATC mid is more capable at lower frequencies, though it could. All it means is that ATC chose to cross it lower. Neumann mid could very well be crossed just as low, but Neumann figured the overall performance of the system was improved with a higher crossover.

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not go and listen ?

Guy's I find this forum interesting . The debate here is what is the better dome . Get the best ATC dome and see what happens. Go and listen to a set of scm300a and tell yourself its midrange is distorting more than a KH420a at any reasonable level. I suspect the mid that is required to keep up with two 15's may win.
Unfortunately, individual listening reports are near useless for determining which is actually the better mid. Comparison would really need to be done blind, level matched, and with multiple people. Also, level matching the Neumann and ATC to assess mid quality will be tricky, as ATC seem to purposely play their mid a few dB louder than the other drivers.

In a well setup blind test with a large enough sample size, I would expect the Neumann to win comfortably. No doubt a few would still like the ATC, but based on the best audio science we know today, most people will pick the Neumann in a blind test.

In a sighted test, I would actually favor the ATC. Both are excellent drivers, and overall differences will be small. The increased mid volume and expectation bias in favor of the ATC, I would expect most to pick the ATC. We hear with our brains, not our ears, and brain state differences will likely swamp any actual distortion differences.

Would be great to see more people sharing what speaker's they use under their profile please.I had mine up the day I joined rather than my ugly head

I agree. It helps to contextualize others opinions, and I'm a fan of that. I used to list the speakers I own in my signature for that reason. I've removed it recently, but for different reasons.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the indication that directivity smoothness is more important than imd and thd in the midrange?

That's not a compromise we see here, though. By crossing the mid a bit higher(to an even more capable bass driver), the Neumann exhibits both better directivity smoothness and better IMD and THD. Lower IMD and THD is actually a big advantage of playing drivers over a smaller bandwidth.

dfuller

Major Contributor
If your goal is to hear tiny problems in the midrange, then the ATC will be better for sure. I don't see that as being down to the driver, but rather the tuning of the speaker. ATC tunes their mids 2-3dB louder than the rest of the spectrum, whereas Neumann plays all of their drivers at the same spl. The consequence of the ATC tuning is that it will be:

1. Harder to hear errors in the bass/treble
2. Higher chance of ending up with a mid recessed mix(engineer will have to compensate to prevent this)
3. The sound is less pleasurable overall to most people(maybe not a huge deal for mixing), as most people prefer a balanced sound.

Playing the drivers at the same SPL, I would expect them to sound very similar, with the Neumann having a bit less distortion.
I've not compared them side to side in the same room, but the ATC 25s are uncannily clean in what low end they have. It's a little weird. The Neumanns are as good if not better above like 100hz though. I think if you crossed both with subs they'd overall be similar.

That doesn't necessarily mean the ATC mid is more capable at lower frequencies. All it means is that ATC chose to cross it lower. Neumann mid could very well be crossed just as low, but Neumann figured the overall performance of the system was improved with a higher crossover.
No, we don't know if the Neumann dome can cross that low because it's a custom Neumann design and isn't used anywhere else other than their designs (which have pretty typical to slightly high woofer-midrange crossover points for a dome) so there's no spec sheet available. If it's like most 3" dome mids, it probably doesn't do so hot crossed below about 500hz. ATC's dome is kind of an anomaly in that it is capable of crossing as low as it does in their designs.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
At 300 Hz where the Neumann has its 1% peak the woofer is active as the mid is crossed higher, also different measurements conditions are to be compared with doubt, better the above posted comparison of S&R which measured both KH310 and SCM25 Pro.

That doesn't necessarily mean the ATC mid is more capable at lower frequencies, though it could. All it means is that ATC chose to cross it lower. Neumann mid could very well be crossed just as low, but Neumann figured the overall performance of the system was improved with a higher crossover.
That is wrong especially in a 3 way when the tweeter sits above the midrange and not between the woofer and the bass because the acoustic centrum wil be moving up down and as i showed in the case of the Neumann you have higher distortions in the lower midrange although not audible.The midrange should go as low if possible (200-250hz).From there you want a fast woofer (and then a sub).

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is wrong especially in a 3 way when the tweeter sits above the midrange and not between the woofer and the bass because the acoustic centrum wil be moving up down and as i showed in the case of the Neumann you have higher distortions in the lower midrange although not audible.The midrange should go as low if possible (200-250hz).
The only thing that is important is that the distance of the drivers is smaller than the wavelength of the crossover frequency (or even better half of it), at 500 Hz we have a wavelength of 0.69 meters so its not a problem in the Neumann (if it was you would see some strong lobing in the off-axis). Of course you do want to listen any non-coaxial loudspeaker just few inches from its baffle as only then you might hear the separation of the drivers which is more problematic though between mid driver and tweeter.
From there you want a fast woofer (and then a sub).
"Slow woofers" are usually not a problem of the drivers themselves but of a poor bass enclosure/port tuning.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
The only thing that is important is that the distance of the drivers is smaller than the wavelength of the crossover frequency (or even better half of it), at 500 Hz we have a wavelength of 0.69 meters so its not a problem in the Neumann (if it was you would see some strong lobing in the off-axis). Of course you do want to listen any non-coaxial loudspeaker just few inches from its baffle as only then you might hear the separation of the drivers which is more problematic though between mid driver and tweeter.

"Slow woofers" are usually not a problem of the drivers themselves but of a poor bass enclosure/port tuning.
This is more complicated than distances alone as there is the time parameter envolved but according to Don Keele regarding alignment guidelines:

1.Position acoustic centers as close together as possible. this maximizes coverage, minimizes lobing and improves frequency response in a 3 dimensional sense.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is more complicated than distances alone as there is the time parameter envolved but according to Don Keele regarding alignment guidelines:

1.Position acoustic centers as close together as possible. this maximizes coverage, minimizes lobing and improves frequency response in a 3 dimensional sense.
As said when the distance of the drivers is smaller than half of the wavelength of the crossover frequency then what Keele says is achieved, the problem on the ATC and Neumann is rather the distance between the mid and the tweeter where this is not achieved (more on the ATC due to the higher crossover frequency) and vertical lobes result and additionally in a frequency range where our hearing has a higher spatial resolution.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Correct, and ATC tunes their ports to a Q of 0.5 (from what I've read) so this is not a problem there. I should note, ATC includes a port plug with a fair number of models and from what I can tell from Resolution's absolutely tiny FR graph the port bung in the 25 smooths out the bass hump somewhat.

Neumann also doesn't have an issue with this on their 3-way designs, because one is sealed and the other has the port tuning down in the 30s of hz somewhere where any sort of overhang is likely to be entirely inaudible.

Top Bottom