• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

Elkios

I personally know an engineer who had the same opinion. I used to play the drums but these days just a Uke. My opinion the ATC was closer to the real instrument.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reports are that these are custom made by Peerless India if you search there photos of them in other threads.
Can you show a similar 3" mid dome from Peerless? All I have seen have not the characteristic shape, material and especially 2 thin wires at the exact same position.

By the way the O500C is not produced for approx. 10 years now so also its drivers are a thing of the past and coincide to the time where ATC stopped offering their drivers for other companies and DIY.

Last edited:
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I personally know an engineer who had the same opinion. I used to play the drums but these days just a Uke. My opinion the ATC was closer to the real instrument.
But does the the ATC driver really weights X10 than the KH310 driver?
How much is the weight of the driver important anyways?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just the driver mass doesn't tell much, especially in times of materials with very high magnetic density like neodymium. The only thing that counts in the end are the acoustic output measurements, unless you want to use the loudspeaker or driver as a weapon.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The magic midrange dome is all cult of personality. Independent lab data shows it was obliterated by the contemporaneous Neumann dome, which can play 10dB (10 times more power handling, twice as loud) before it distorts as much as the ATC dome. What a joke. To add to this humiliation, teardowns show that the Neumann dome has a much more compact footprint, allowing tighter centre-to-centre spacing. This certainly exposes ATC as a laughably backward brand capable of only designing large primitive drivers that still fail to reach the SOTA despite the size and weight penalty.

Driver size and weight is a stupid metric especially for the passband of the ATC where you are dealing with wavelengths that make tighter centre to centre spacing a necessity for driver integration and reduced vertical lobing. A driver with a 3.5" radiating surface but a footprint like a 7" cone is hopeless.

Elkios

The magic midrange dome is all cult of personality. Independent lab data shows it was obliterated by the contemporaneous Neumann dome, which can play 10dB (10 times more power handling, twice as loud) before it distorts as much as the ATC dome. What a joke. To add to this humiliation, teardowns show that the Neumann dome has a much more compact footprint, allowing tighter centre-to-centre spacing. This certainly exposes ATC as a laughably backward brand capable of only designing large primitive drivers that still fail to reach the SOTA despite the size and weight penalty.

Driver size and weight is a stupid metric especially for the passband of the ATC where you are dealing with wavelengths that make tighter centre to centre spacing a necessity for driver integration and reduced vertical lobing. A driver with a 3.5" radiating surface but a footprint like a 7" cone is hopeless.
3db increase is a doubling in power . 3db is 50 percent gain in perception volume . 6db is a doubling in perception volume .

Elkios

3db increase is a doubling in power . 3db is 50 percent gain in perception volume . 6db is a doubling in perception volume .
Was the test comparison the standard non s spec dome that was previously available to public and other manufacturers or superdome ? Maybe you should look at max continous volume available from scm 300. I believe that the mid in that is another above the s spec dome.Have you heard any of the large ATC?

Elkios

How much is the weight of the driver T
Their tweeters are neo . So maybe the mid will soon change . The 6inch mid in big Gennys has a monster old magnet as well.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

"While every 6 dB SPL represents a doubling of amplitude, a non-exact rule-of-thumb is that every 10 dB increase is a doubling of perceived loudness"

As for whether it is the super dome - I don't think its particularly relevant, because the closest competitor in the speaker form factor was the 310A. Similar size, and shape and their production runs overlapped. During the time of review the 310 was already out.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It’s been said somewhat, but the platonic ideal of a home speaker is not the same as a studio speaker. A home speaker is ideal when it can reproduce a recording as faithfully as possible.

The ideal studio speaker is best at enabling an engineer to inspect and adjust the music, and for this reason most studios have multiple speakers because this is not a one tool job. Moreover the mix is broken down into pieces to listen to different tracks individually and together.

As an analogy, it’s like suggesting you should play golf in the same shoes as the person who mowed the grass in the morning. It’s not to say good studio speakers can’t also be good home speakers, but there are reasons a studio speaker might be favored for reasons other than fidelity.

Elkios

"While every 6 dB SPL represents a doubling of amplitude, a non-exact rule-of-thumb is that every 10 dB increase is a doubling of perceived loudness"

As for whether it is the super dome - I don't think its particularly relevant, because the closest competitor in the speaker form factor was the 310A. Similar size, and shape and their production runs overlapped. During the time of review the 310 was already out.

The discussion in this forum revolves about which is better . Best we magically obtain a mid from a 300a . The superdome has been in production for quite some time . Otherwise we will alway's be going around in these circles.

Chrise36

Major Contributor

1.We have not seen a side to side to comparison and the "independent" test was a former Neumann employee.
2.In the impletatations they are used in a much narrower bandwidth leading to increased thd and imd from the bass drivers in the upper midbass - lower midbass
3. The power compression in the KH 420 is showing the bass driver playing 8 db lower than midrange in max SPL how useful is this?
4. As i showed company specs show much higher thd above 100hz even ar 95db and mediocre noise levels.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Can you show a similar 3" mid dome from Peerless? All I have seen have not the characteristic shape, material and especially 2 thin wires at the exact same position.

By the way the O500C is not produced for approx. 10 years now so also its drivers are a thing of the past and coincide to the time where ATC stopped offering their drivers for other companies and DIY.
1636272523141.png

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As i showed company specs show much higher thd above 100hz even ar 95db and mediocre noise levels.
Just data sheet specs without any proving measurements curves should be always be viewed with doubt as they can be measured also with different standards.

We have not seen a side to side to comparison and the "independent" test was a former Neumann employee.
Who was that employee and can you please provide a source of that?

Talking about independent measurements, here are the distortion measurements of the Stereoplay magazine of the active 15000€ pair price ATC SCM 50 A SL Tower FF

1636276637560.png

and for example the 1500€ pair price intro range 2-way 6,5" Genelec M040

1636276824123.png

While being better not really impressive for 10 times the price and being a large 3-way.

Also here are the max SPL measurements of the Sound & Recording magazine of the ATC SCM 25 ASL Pro

1636277357295.png

and its direct competitor, the Neumann KH310 with the "lightweight mid driver" which costs approximately half

1636277409852.png

The measurements talk for themselves.

Last edited:

Chrise36

Major Contributor

index.php

And what do you want to show with this? I was saying that O500C dome was an ATC one, not the KH310 one.
This is the 3" dome reportedly custom made from Peerless India. Not going to find it in Peerless catalogues.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the 3" dome reportedly custom made from Peerless India. Not going to find it in Peerless catalogues.
Can be, I was talking though about the O500C dome which was made from ATC so I guess there was a misunderstanding.

Anyway, that KH310 dome you show measures better than the ATC one, as I just showed also from independent measurements.

Elkios

1.We have not seen a side to side to comparison and the "independent" test was a former Neumann employee.
2.In the impletatations they are used in a much narrower bandwidth leading to increased thd and imd from the bass drivers in the upper midbass - lower midbass
3. The power compression in the KH 420 is showing the bass driver playing 8 db lower than midrange in max SPL how useful is this?
4. As i showed company specs show much higher thd above 100hz even ar 95db

Just data sheet specs without any proving measurements curves should be always be viewed with doubt as they can be measured also with different standards.

Talking about independent measurements, here are the distortion measurements of the Stereoplay magazine of the active 15000€ pair price ATC SCM 50 A SL Tower FF

View attachment 163788

View attachment 163789

While being better not really impressive for that price and being a 3-way.
Why not go and listen ?

View attachment 163788

View attachment 163789

While being better not really impressive for 10 times the price and being a large 3-way.

Also here are the max SPL measurements of the Sound & Recording magazine of the ATC SCM 25 ASL Pro

View attachment 163790

and its direct competitor, the Neumann KH310 with the "lightweight mid driver" which costs approximately half

View attachment 163791

The measurements talk for themselves.
Guy's I find this forum interesting . The debate here is what is the better dome . Get the best ATC dome and see what happens. Go and listen to a set of scm300a and tell yourself its midrange is distorting more than a KH420a at any reasonable level. I suspect the mid that is required to keep up with two 15's may win. Would be great to see more people sharing what speaker's they use under their profile please.I had mine up the day I joined rather than my ugly head

Top Bottom