• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HBK Headphone Measurement Talks from Head-Fi and Sean Olive

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Perhaps I'm missing a nuance here, but if the argument is that the typical audio reviewer needs to go through Harman training in order to produce reliable and valid reviews, I completely disagree with that. The problem ain't the hearing, it's the incredible bias and financial influences that permeate this industry.
Indeed. Or the intent to please everyone. "There is a problem with the measurement here, but you may prefer it that way. " Or, "I think it is too bright but everyone hears different so you may be fine with that."

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Perhaps I'm missing a nuance here, but if the argument is that the typical audio reviewer needs to go through Harman training in order to produce reliable and valid reviews, I completely disagree with that. The problem ain't the hearing, it's the incredible bias and financial influences that permeate this industry.
I agree, but it would probably be useful for a reviewer to get up to a certain level in the software and learn to identify frequency ranges and give up on words like "microdynamics", etc.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Circle of Confusion concept has belonged to optics and photography since the 1860's. Floyd Toole ripped it off in his book in 2008.

Thanks DT

If you see circle of confusion in audio text stop reading and ignore.

The abbreviation "DT" has been used to refer to delirium tremens since the early 1800's.

@DualTriode apparently ripped off the abbreviation in his ASR postings in 2019.

If you see "DT" in an ASR post, stop reading and ignore.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well at least you're both on the same page. :)

I raised what I felt were some reasonable questions about the assumption that trained listeners are more discriminating than untrained listeners, based on the first study that GaryH posted on this. And rather than addressing any of those questions I was given a new set of graphs from another unidentified study that showed something different...

index.php

So be it... What I see in the graphs from this new study, with considerably more untrained listeners than trained listeners, is that the relatively small group of trained listeners are more consistent in their opinions and preferences than the much larger group of untrained listeners... Which is what I've said from the very beginning of this conversation.

I'm still waiting though for someone to actually define or articulate (without throwing another graph at me) what "more discriminating" actually means in this context... Dr. Olive seemed to be starting to do that in his post. But somehow his reply got cut off in mid-sentence...

("identify" is where his comment seemed to end)

This is probably neither here nor there, but perhaps if the above sampling of trained listeners was also larger it would also show more inconsistencies as well, like the much bigger untrained group. (?)
The chart demonstrates both.
The lines are closer together for trained listeners - that demonstrates increased consistency.
The points between each HP are farther apart for trained listeners - that demonstrates better discrimination.

For the likely target audience of these charts, what I just wrote is almost self-evident (meaning the charts pretty much speak for themselves). I don't know if you appreciate that.

Also, the other takeaway is that even with far fewer subjects, the trained listeners obtained much cleaner data than untrained - which is the point.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I agree, but it would probably be useful for a reviewer to get up to a certain level in the software and learn to identify frequency ranges and give up on words like "microdynamics", etc.

I am very skeptical that reaching a certain level in How To Listen will do anything to the use of such terminology. The program simply doesn't deal with semantics in this way. The few "attributes" it tests for receive conventional definitions within the program itself (whether you agree with these definitions or not then is irrelevant, you have to use them this way nonetheless).
As said already (and already posted in this thread), there are other band identification programs available for training purposes that are more convenient to use ATM given the lack of ongoing support for How To Listen.

DualTriode

The chart demonstrates both.
The lines are closer together for trained listeners - that demonstrates increased consistency.
The points between each HP are farther apart for trained listeners - that demonstrates better discrimination.

For the likely target audience of these charts, what I just wrote is almost self-evident (meaning the charts pretty much speak for themselves). I don't know if you appreciate that.

Also, the other takeaway is that even with far fewer subjects, the trained listeners obtained much cleaner data than untrained - which is the point.

Hello,

You seem to have completely missed the point made many times in the Harman research, published and peer reviewed by AES.

“Listening experience is not a factor for headphone preference” and “Good sound is universal”.

Thanks DT

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

You seem to have completely missed the point made many times in the Harman research, published and peer reviewed by AES.

“Listening experience is not a factor for headphone preference” and “Good sound is universal”.

Thanks DT

Circle of Confusion

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your confusion, not mine.
I thought you were ignoring everything associated with "circle of confusion." You seem like a pretty literal person so I took you for your word.

Anyway, I'm not confused at all. I'm afraid you weren't fully tracking the conversation that you inserted yourself into. Your response had absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote. In fact I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to respond to you right now.

someguyontheinternet

Hello,

Thanks DT
That is an unrelated point to the fact that the data points to trained listeners being better at judging sound quality.

“Listening experience is not a factor for headphone preference” and “Good sound is universal” are reflected by the fact that the overall rankings between headphones were very similar between experience groups.
However there still was a difference in how consistent the scoring was for a given headphone and listener pairing as well as the relative value of the score compared to other headphones. For example an untrained listener may give the same headphone scores between 5 and 9 (out of 10) while the trained listener would give the same headphone a score between 5 and 6.

This means a smaller sample size may be necessary to achieve a stable preference ranking, if the listener group only consists of trained listeners, as the preference rankings will converge faster in comparison to a group of untrained listeners.
It also means that trained listeners can be trusted to consistently give more accurate preference scoring as opposed to untrained listeners.

This does not play a role in reviews that provide reasonably accurate measurements, but it plays a role if there is a review with a lack of measurements. In that case a trained listener would be more likely to produce an accurate assessment of a product's sound quality.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Exactly, this is what some people are failing to understand. How to Listen doesn't have to include such nebulous terminology in order to have an influence on their usage. In fact, it's because it doesn't include this vague terminology but instead well-defined terms that represent concrete physical properties that means it could reveal to a listener through training that their nebulous terms are either illusory, or can be explained by standard terms, which invariably describe features of frequency response.

GaryH

Major Contributor
That is an unrelated point to the fact that the data points to trained listeners being better at judging sound quality.

“Listening experience is not a factor for headphone preference” and “Good sound is universal” are reflected by the fact that the overall rankings between headphones were very similar between experience groups.
However there still was a difference in how consistent the scoring was for a given headphone and listener pairing as well as the relative value of the score compared to other headphones. For example an untrained listener may give the same headphone scores between 5 and 9 (out of 10) while the trained listener would give the same headphone a score between 5 and 6.

This means a smaller sample size may be necessary to achieve a stable preference ranking, if the listener group only consists of trained listeners, as the preference rankings will converge faster in comparison to a group of untrained listeners.
It also means that trained listeners can be trusted to consistently give more accurate preference scoring as opposed to untrained listeners.

This does not play a role in reviews that provide reasonably accurate measurements, but it plays a role if there is a review with a lack of measurements. In that case a trained listener would be more likely to produce an accurate assessment of a product's sound quality.

Agree with everything except this:
This does not play a role in reviews that provide reasonably accurate measurements, but it plays a role if there is a review with a lack of measurements.
I think Stereophile has shown that providing 'reasonably accurate measurements' along with a review has pretty much zero correlation with the consistency or discrimination of the subjective portion of the sound quality assessment.

DualTriode

Hello,

We now have the human subject data and target curves. With machine learning we do not need trained listeners or otherwise.

With AI and AR the machines are able to convolve listening environments that are scary realistic.

That is not a crash test dummy sitting in the “drivers” seat in the next gen Tesla.

Thanks DT

ifloatoveryou

I am very skeptical that reaching a certain level in How To Listen will do anything to the use of such terminology. The program simply doesn't deal with semantics in this way. The few "attributes" it tests for receive conventional definitions within the program itself (whether you agree with these definitions or not then is irrelevant, you have to use them this way nonetheless).
As said already (and already posted in this thread), there are other band identification programs available for training purposes that are more convenient to use ATM given the lack of ongoing support for How To Listen.
My understanding was Harman's how to listen provides an indication whether or not one's ears are trained. Other programs would be more useful to train one's ears, and I would imagine there is a superior evaluation than Harman's. The idea is reviewers should train their ears, Harman's how to listen is just one indicator as to whether or not a listener is trained. Perhaps an alternative evaluation should be suggested instead.
I completely agree. Trained vs untrained ears is a relatively minor concern. As others have stated earlier in the thread, pressuring reviewers about something minor doesn't make much sense, as the the major problems that you described are unfortunately common.

There is a nuance you are missing though. Nobody is saying that reviews by trained ears are reliable and valid, or that reviews by untrained ears are unreliable and invalid. I talked about this more in an earlier post, but I'll summarize it here. Science does strongly suggest that impressions by trained ears are on average more reliable than untrained ears, and that listening experience is not a substitute for training one's ears. This means that on average, if you have a group of impartial reviewers with trained ears, and one group of impartial untrained, on average the trained ears group will be more reliable in their subjective impressions. This does not mean a given impartial reviewer is always reliable since they are trained or that a given review is unreliable since the reviewer is untrained - no conclusion about a given reviewer or review can be made. It is just means one group on average will be more reliable than the other. Toole's research suggests a large difference in reliability, on average, between the two groups.

Encouraging reviewers who are already impartial to see if they meet the criteria of trained, and to train their ears if not, I think is a good thing. Bar extremely limited free time, I don't see any convincing reason for a reviewer not to go through with it. That being said, I am not bothered if reviewers don't do it, as this is a minor concern.

ifloatoveryou

Subjective assessments are used to characterize flaws in the frequency response. A trained listener typically would do this more reliably than an untrained listener. Given that most headphones have some flaw in their measurements, and that headphone measurements are not very accurate or precise, trained ears are a useful tool in evaluating headphones. That being said, measurements are a far more useful and important tool.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a nuance you are missing though. Nobody is saying that reviews by trained ears are reliable and valid, or that reviews by untrained ears are unreliable and invalid. I talked about this more in an earlier post, but I'll summarize it here. Science does strongly suggest that impressions by trained ears are on average more reliable than untrained ears, and that listening experience is not a substitute for training one's ears. This means that on average, if you have a group of impartial reviewers with trained ears, and one group of impartial untrained, on average the trained ears group will be more reliable in their subjective impressions. This does not mean a given impartial reviewer is always reliable since they are trained or that a given review is unreliable since the reviewer is untrained - no conclusion about a given reviewer or review can be made. It is just means one group on average will be more reliable than the other. Toole's research suggests a large difference in reliability, on average, between the two groups.

None of this is new to me, so not sure where you might have gotten the impression that this was "missed."

Encouraging reviewers who are already impartial to see if they meet the criteria of trained, and to train their ears if not, I think is a good thing.

OK so hold up. Which mainstream reviewers, would you suggest are "already impartial" and would benefit from undergoing the training? Amir is already trained obviously. So who else?

Bar extremely limited free time, I don't see any convincing reason for a reviewer not to go through with it. That being said, I am not bothered if reviewers don't do it, as this is a minor concern.

I can name about 50 reasons why the typical internet or magazine reviewer wouldnt want to bother going through the training process, the most important of which being that their target audience could care less, and that their perceived credibility by this target audience would be completely unaffected.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Subjective assessments are used to characterize flaws in the frequency response. A trained listener typically would do this more reliably than an untrained listener. Given that most headphones have some flaw in their measurements, and that headphone measurements are not very accurate or precise, trained ears are a useful tool in evaluating headphones. That being said, measurements are a far more useful and important tool.
No idea what you're trying to convey here

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

We now have the human subject data and target curves. With machine learning we do not need trained listeners or otherwise.

With AI and AR the machines are able to convolve listening environments that are scary realistic.

That is not a crash test dummy sitting in the “drivers” seat in the next gen Tesla.

Thanks DT

If you're actually an AI chat bot, I'm pretty impressed - these responses almost make sense (but not quite of course) and seem to be adequate to compel actual humans to respond to you.

If you're not actually an AI chat bot, then my mistake.

ifloatoveryou

None of this is new to me, so not sure where you might have gotten the impression that this was "missed."
In the other post, you said "if the argument is that the typical audio reviewer needs to go through Harman training in order to produce reliable and valid reviews", which was not an argument people were making. That is why I had the impression some of the nuance was missed. My mistake there.
OK so hold up. Which mainstream reviewers, would you suggest are "already impartial" and would benefit from undergoing the training? Amir is already trained obviously. So who else?
The impartial reviewers was a hypothetical, just to illustrate a point that training ears is a good thing. Again, impartiality (the lack of it) is much more important and relevant issue. Two reviewers who I would want to see if they are trained, and to do a training of not, are Oluv and Solderdude.
No idea what you're trying to convey here
I may not have explained it so clearly. From 49 minutes onward in the video below, Amir talks about the importance of subjective assessment in relation to measurements. I am just saying this subjective assessment will be done more reliably by someone with trained ears.

GaryH

Major Contributor
My understanding was Harman's how to listen provides an indication whether or not one's ears are trained. Other programs would be more useful to train one's ears, and I would imagine there is a superior evaluation than Harman's. The idea is reviewers should train their ears, Harman's how to listen is just one indicator as to whether or not a listener is trained. Perhaps an alternative evaluation should be suggested instead.
As far as I'm aware there's no other evaluation that has the backing of public research demonstrating its efficacy in verifying and improving listening abilities, consistency and discrimination. And that's the key point. The term 'trained listener' is thrown around quite a lot, often without detailed delineation. What Harman have done is give the term a verifiable, quantifiable definition so we don't have to just take someone's word on what their personal training/experience has conferred on their listening abilities anymore, they can now prove it. We use verifiable standards for measurement equipment, it's about time we had some kind of verifiable standard for reviewers' ears too.

Amir is already trained obviously
Not according to Harman's definition. He's said he got up level 3 on the first attempt of How to Listen, which is no better than the general public from his comments here. So whatever previous training he's done in the specific task of identifying digital lossy codec compression artifacts did not confer an improved ability to identify frequency response differences and so better discern differences in sound quality of transducers. After practice he got up to level 5, still 3 levels short of a trained listener according to Harman. And that was over 10 years ago. As @Sean Olive demonstrated in this post, a lot can change in 10 years in terms of hearing, and so listening ability as Floyd Toole has shown.

The impartial reviewers was a hypothetical
A hypothetical that doesn't exist unfortunately. No reviewer can be 100% impartial, because no-one is 100% free of subconscious biases.
Two reviewers who I would want to see if they are trained, and to do a training of not, are Oluv and Solderdude.
The latter's already blankly refused. Knew I'd forgotten someone though - @oluvsgadgets up for giving the below a try?
If reviewers want their subjective judgements to be some kind of useful data point, they must in some way expect or at least hope their readers trust in their ability to adeptly discern good sound quality. In the same way that we require measurement rigs to conform to industry standards that demonstrate the accuracy and reliability of their readings, if subjective reports are to have any utility to readers, these 'measurement rigs' i.e. the reviewers ears should be subject to provable standards of accuracy too, and being a Harman level 8 trained listener is as good a standard for this as I can see. So calling all reviewers, @Resolve , @metal571 , @crinacle , @antdroid , Jude (I know you're watching ;)), care to give Harman's How to Listen a go and post your results?

Last edited:
Top Bottom