• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH80DSP Teardown

q3cpma

Major Contributor
it doesnt have to. im talking about the raw performance of the speaker. and the kh 80 is more than adequate in terms of SPL for its recommended listening distance. if you want more bass, get a subwoofer. not everyone wants or is even able to add more bass.
Yes, for its recommended listening distance. Just don't try to go further than 1.5 m, I'd say.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I respect the performance and the efforts of the company but the prices should be better with the quality of the materials i see eg drivers made in India. We should not let companies get away with this. If you make audio gear in Europe or Japan or North America and use the best components i can see the value and pay the price. If you make them in cheaper countries with cheap materials i want to see the cheaper price.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I respect the performance and the efforts of the company but the prices should be better with the quality of the materials i see eg drivers made in India. We should not let companies get away with this. If you make audio gear in Europe or Japan or North America and use the best components i can see the value and pay the price. If you make them in cheaper countries with cheap materials i want to see the cheaper price.
There's nothing wrong with the components, and part of the built-in cost is the research. The measurements and user reports testify.

There's likely no better small speaker out there. I also don't know if you're familiar with the speaker part market, but many of the components are made in Asian countries, imported and assembled in Western ones.

matt3421

its YOUR OPINION that the prices should be better. neumann torture tests every prototype they make for 1000 hours. and based on what ive read. their products last a long time. the quality of neumanns speakers is fine. unnecessarily forcing companies to use more expensive components "Just because" will only increase the cost for everyone else. and research and development is obviously a huge factor in the cost of these speakers. not sure why that needs to be pointed out. not everything is about the raw materials

OP
Χ

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Interesting to see where the thread is headed. It reminds me of the guy from the Topping D90SE thread who keeps saying that the component within is bad despite excellent measurements all around.:)

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Atc is made for you

astcal

Forum Donor

For a pair of excellently engineered active speakers like KH 80 made in EU, with all the parts it used, what is the fair price in your opinion ?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
For a pair of excellently engineered active speakers like KH 80 made in EU, with all the parts it used, what is the fair price in your opinion ?
I would say 400 to 500 euro maximum.

D

Deleted member 12642

Was always curious about how these guys looked on the inside, thanks for the teardown. These wouldn't happen to be the ones I sold to you OP?

Hey, I see that wire to the logo led, finally a way to disable the logo led lol. Damn thing is bright as hell.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, I see that wire to the logo led, finally a way to disable the logo led lol. Damn thing is bright as hell.
There is a way to dim it if you connect the KH 80 DSP to the network and use an iPad to configure it through the Neumann.Control app. Not very practical, I know, but it is what it is.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Genelec 8320A is similarly spec'ed and, I assume, uses better caps. What do you think they should cost?
If it has aluminum cabinet and better specced amps it deserves a higher price.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
they are kinda bright for me too, but young people love them. guess I am too old :)
I am 38 and I think they are too bright... Am I in a midlife crisis already?? o_O

Last edited:
OP
Χ

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Was always curious about how these guys looked on the inside, thanks for the teardown. These wouldn't happen to be the ones I sold to you OP?

These are not the pair you sold me. I don't intend to look at what's inside my KH80s. That way I shall forever believe that every single component within is made in Europe and doesn't feel cheap. ;)

Top Bottom