• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH80DSP Teardown

lowpassman

A friend of mine decided to look at the inside of the KH80DSP because he found the Neumanns run hotter than his JBL LSR305P MkII. Seems like there hasn't been any teardown picture of the KH80DSP on the internet. My friend kindly allowed me to share these disassembly pictures on this forum, so there they are!

View attachment 134919View attachment 134920View attachment 134921View attachment 134922
I open up my kh80‘s back panel, and i fail to put it back,it's always stuck at a point by the rubber ring between the cabinet and back panel,how your friend to put them back correctly?

Mario Sanchez

What I did was to push it in as much as possible, and then let the two big screws on the lower edge do the rest of the work, resulting coupling is visually aligned and should provide a good enough seal (measurements looked basically identical) for the cabinet, might not be the right way though...

lowpassman

What I did was to push it in as much as possible, and then let the two big screws on the lower edge do the rest of the work, resulting coupling is visually aligned and should provide a good enough seal (measurements looked basically identical) for the cabinet, might not be the right way though...
thank you! i put them together finally!i was worry about if i push it so hard,the cabinet may crush…your reply give me that courage to push it as hard as i can. haha : )

nzalog

I know this is pretty old but is it possible to easily remove the grill? And do they look good without it?

Mario Sanchez

I'm fairly certain the woofer grille is an integral part of the chassis and can't be easily removed.
The tweeter grille is, on the other hand, removable once you take the driver off of the chassis, but then there is this phase-plug sticker on the grille. I'm not sure if this sticker's absence is going to significantly impact performance (It will have an effect, the question is how much), but best leave it in place.
Will it look good without these grille? chances are probably not. They look kina unsuspecting as-is and since the woofer/tweeter is nothing to write home about, without any fancy texture or material on the diaphragm, removing the grille and revealing the deeply inset drivers probably won't help with the asthetics.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Kinda wonder how the speaker would measure without the sticker on the tweeter grill. Every tweeter I've had with one of those measured better after it was removed.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kinda wonder how the speaker would measure without the sticker on the tweeter grill. Every tweeter I've had with one of those measured better after it was removed.

It could be an integral part of the design like KEF's Tangerine on their dome. And with listening window of +/-0.6dB, I don't see how much improvement can there be. The ripple is almost below human thresholds already.

Top Bottom