• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dirac plus dual sub management on the RME ADI-2 FS would be awesome.

It is possible to configure the ADI-2 Pro this way, provided your computer already has a digital output. (Obviously you have to buy Dirac and run it on the host.) Also, in that configuration, the sub outs can only be unbalanced.

JoostE

Thanks for the replies.

Was indeed hoping for a second output or a way to seperate the 2nd line output with some low pass filter as accurately predicted by AlexHRider.

However, I guess I could run the RME to my bookshelves, and run a really cheap seperate DAC to an active subwoofer (with low pass filter). Nice to free the bookshelves of bass duty (and who knows, EQ the top end a bit if needed in a small office space). No clue if that would give me problems in windows though (both DACs out at the same time). But, all of these are just bonuses, I don't even have the speakers set up yet, mainly this would be for headphones.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK- decided to try and use the EQ on the RME and got out the manual. Im using Oratory1990 EQ for the Focal Clear.

Its a faff but getting there , but couple of questions on how to apply his particular filters:

1. Some of his gain settings are showing in tenths of a dB- eg 1.6 dB- I can only adjust gain by half dB intervals (Im not that bothered about it being that accurate, but I guess I'm doing something wrong if he suggests 1.6 and I can only dial in 1.5 dB

2. He sets up a peak filter with a Q of 7, I can only go up to Q5- so again, I must be doing something wrong.

Any ideas hive mind?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1. Some of his gain settings are showing in tenths of a dB- eg 1.6 dB- I can only adjust gain by half dB intervals (Im not that bothered about it being that accurate, but I guess I'm doing something wrong if he suggests 1.6 and I can only dial in 1.5 dB

2. He sets up a peak filter with a Q of 7, I can only go up to Q5- so again, I must be doing something wrong.

Any ideas hive mind?

Mine has never allowed those either.

I think it's just a mistake in him not knowing or correctly remembering the ADI-2 DAC's limitations. He's probably creating the filter settings with whatever software EQ he uses to make the rest of his profiles and not on the actual hardware.

Last edited:

danadam

but I guess I'm doing something wrong if he suggests 1.6 and I can only dial in 1.5 dB
Nope, the manual says that the gain is adjustable in 0.5 dB steps.
He sets up a peak filter with a Q of 7, I can only go up to Q5- so again, I must be doing something wrong.
Bands 4 and 5 are limited to Q 5, but for bands 1 to 3 the limit is Q 9.9. Just swap the bands.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope, the manual says that the gain is adjustable in 0.5 dB steps.

Bands 4 and 5 are limited to Q 5, but for bands 1 to 3 the limit is Q 9.9. Just swap the bands.
Excellent, thanks.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine has never allowed those either.

I think it's just a mistake in him not knowing or correctly remembering the ADI-2 DAC's limitations. He's probably creating the filter settings with whatever software EQ he uses to make the rest of his profiles and not on the actual hardware.
@danadam response is v helpful now I know I can use middle bands for high Q peaks.

All that's stopping me now is figuring out how to name and save the settings without losing my rag

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

@danadam response is v helpful now I know I can use middle bands for high Q peaks.

Bizarrely...that is correct. I guess you do have to use the bands "out of order".

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Bizarrely...that is correct. I guess you do have to use the bands "out of order".
Actually, more errors. I got around to the 6th and 7th filters, the bass and treble shelves, he's set a treble shelf at 2k and settings only go as low as 3k. I'm thinking I'll stick to EAPO on the pc. All the button pressing and menus has given me a headache

Grotti

Forum Donor
Actually, more errors. I got around to the 6th and 7th filters, the bass and treble shelves, he's set a treble shelf at 2k and settings only go as low as 3k. I'm thinking I'll stick to EAPO on the pc. All the button pressing and menus has given me a headache
That's why I repeat: this device would be perfect if controllable by an app. And, of course, some additional bands for the EQ would be of help from time to time....

Or a headphone that doesn't need more than the bands provided (Akg K371 :p)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's why I repeat: this device would be perfect if controllable by an app. And, of course, some additional bands for the EQ would be of help from time to time....

Or a headphone that doesn't need more than the bands provided (Akg K371 :p)
Yup- agree totally. Even if you could do it through a USB connection with windows and then unplug and leave it as you set, a decent interface is crucial for fairly lengthy set ups like a 7 band EQ, renaming and saving profiles.

Other niggle, if you set the bass and treble shelves I dont believe those new dialled in shelves show on the EQ graph, so I cant compare my final Clear EQ to the one on Oratory's PDF to see if it looks about right.

Johannes AU

IMHO it's worth the wait :)

Yeah~~~ I thought I made the right decision, and prepared to wait ..... I download the pdf manual and start to read it slowly in order to understand every bits and pieces of it before I run the unit when arrived.

ElNino

By the way ... could be it is off topic..... what is DIGIcheck, and how to work with ADI-2 Dac?

This page explains it: https://www.rme-audio.de/digicheck.html Note that not all functions are available on the ADI-2 and Pro because it doesn't have the same processing pipeline as some of the more full-featured RME gear.

I used to confuse this feature with the "Bit Test" feature, which is also useful. It doesn't require installing special software on the host. Basically you playback a test file on the host and the device itself tells you if it's getting a bit perfect transfer or not. Basically it gives you confidence that everything is set up correctly.

Top Bottom