• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is an expensive headphone worth it if you have to apply eq to get them to sound good?

I've been on a journey to find a good pair of closed headphones to use in my cigar room when I have the fan running. My cigar fan is 740cfm, so it can get pretty loud. I had previously written off closed back cans in the past and hadn't owned a pair in several years since at that time just getting a decent pair cost way too much money compared to getting better sound out of an open pair for a fraction of the cost. I know there's a host of issues in getting the tuning right vs open cans due to their nature. But at least something like a pair of denons ,fostex, or lcd-xc(again from several years ago) shouldn't cost 1000-2000.00 when a pair of open cans could be had that would crush either one for far less.

Now fast forward several years, and unfortunately like many others, I just can't avoid them any longer. My ety er4ps have been serving this purpose really well. They beat every closed headphone I've listened to, isolate astonishingly well. So what's the problem? Well I'm tired of shoving something in my ears when I want to sit outside or smoke a cigar in my cigar room. They do get quiet uncomfortable after a while. So now that it's been many years since I've tried closed cans maybe they have improved across the board significantly since the last pair I owned. So after reading many reviews and impressions which I don't like to do because of so much fluff and fanboyism, I decided to try something that received great praise that has now dropped in price. The elegia. I know crin hate these but his opinion seems to be in the minority. Well he was right. To my ears, they are even worse than what he says they are. The response curve should have told me all I needed to know. So I tried ratory1990 eq curve to get these close to the harman target. They were much better and now somewhat enjoyable. But there's still a glare in the upper mids that makes them sound wonky and a harshness in the lower treble that actually hurt my ears after a bit.

I then decided to use the raw response curve as a guide to just try to eq them flat and go from there with adding a mild high shelf filter and a decent bump in bass with a low shelf filter. They now sound quiet enjoyable with a bit of grain the the midrange, they still have a closed off sound stage which I can live with, but this sound overall would be ok for me. But even at the discounted price of 599.00, isn't that way to much work to get them to sound good. Shouldn't a pair that cost this much money sound good without any eq? I was tempted to try the celestee next given they follow the harman curve pretty close out of the box. But I'm now scared of focal headphones. And many of the previous elegia owners say these are the best thing since slice bread. But they said that about the elegia as well. So you know the saying "fool me once" lol.

So my current pair now is the ether cx. They measure pretty flat out the the box except for the treble that's subdued. They also sound just like they measure. But unlike the elegia, they don't sound offensive. But there's no bass to speak of. On the positive side, given how flat they are and the fact they have really good technical performance along with very low distortion for a closed can, they are the perfect blank canvas to work with. It takes just a little eq to make the sound close to high end open cans which is very impresive. But again, 900.00 for a pair of closed cans that still require eq? Though not nearly as much as the elegia. Am I just stuck with having to eq a closed can or past a certain price point having to eq closed headphones should be unacceptable. Having to eq 150-200.00 headphones is one thing. But headphones should sound excellent out of the box past a certain price point whether they are open or closed. I would like to know what you guys think.

Last edited:

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
But headphones should sound excellent out of the box past a certain price point whether they are open or closed.
Good luck on your quest, give me a buzz when you find a good sounding expensive pair (open/closed) that do not need (P)EQ.........
High pricepoint is not a guarantee for good sound. I have a few pairs in my collection mid-prized headphones that sound way better than the EQued high-prized Senn HD 800 or the AKG 812 or the HFM HE560 to name a few.
Fact is, i PEQ all my headphones to get the best out of it, and despite my efforts i find my self grasping for a mid-fi headphone more often for a listening session (Senn HD 58X, HD 600, HD 700, HD 650 with PEQ derived from Rting's measurements, Teufel Real Z, Philips Fidelio L2, beyerdynamic DT 1990 Analytical pads, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home etc....

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My opinion would be if you can EQ, even very good out of the box phones can be improved. So why not EQ, and if EQ makes some otherwise iffy phones viable then who cares if EQ is needed.

OTOH, if EQ isn't readily available then obviously expensive phones needing it make no sense.

OP

Good luck on your quest, give me a buzz when you find a good sounding expensive pair (open/closed) that do not need (P)EQ.........

I have a feeling that buzz may never happen lol. It's a shame that headphones have not progressed in the past several years as much as I've hoped. The last pair I bought until recently was 2015. Back in the day I bought headphones very frequently. Then only a handful I've come across that I was happy with out of the box such as the he6 (which I greatly regret selling; impulse sell after being enthralled with the pair that replaced it), hd600/650, and he1000 which was the pair I bought in 2015. These a long with a couple of older stax headphones sounds excellent to me and even better with eq. For me eq with those is just icing on the top. Everything else I've owned in the past, needed help just for me to be able to live with.

This hasn't been my experience with speakers. Sure, there's a ton of overpriced, overrated speakers out there. There's a ton where you may ask why did they even bring these things to market. But there are a ton of gems out there. It's not hard to find an excellent pair of speakers at any budget. And unlike headphones speaker are already starting behind the 8 ball because of problems with placement and the room they may be in.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I'd say NO unless you like the comfort or the appearance, etc.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not only do the transducers have different frequency response but your ears do too compared to other people. A EQ/PEQ is like adding a little spice to your food to make it better. Not everybody likes the same spice amounts and some don't like some at all. Feel free to spice up your sound and make it better. :D

faheem

Forum Donor
In general price and sound quality don't share a relationship. There are cheap AKG headphones, as well as the very expensive Susvara that are close to ideal if you are going by Harman, but the Abyss and Audeze need eq.

Last edited:

faheem

Forum Donor
I decided to try something that received great praise that has now dropped in price. The elegia. I know crin hate these but his opinion seems to be in the minority. Well he was right. To my ears, they are even worse than what he says they are.

The Elegia was shockingly bad to me when I heard it.

OP

If you could have saw the look on my face when I first listened to them. My first thought was wait something's not right. I had to take them off and inspect them to make sure something wasn't broken lol. The fame that the elegia had for years until the celestee came out is the reason why people shouldn't trust subjective reviews. There was a ton of praise for these. You would think they at least sounded decent not only for the price but with the many glowing reviews about them and comparison to other headphones that I actually had some like for.

Daiyama

Believe it or not, there are still tons of people (not reviewers) out there who like their Elegias a lot.
So what do you think Focal should do? Build a headphone which is to your liking? And than all the others Focal users suddenly needs to look for another brand?
If you don‘t like the Focal sound go and look somewhere else.
Demanding all headphones should be tuned to Harman curve so you do not need to EQ is a bit unrealistic.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would love to experience one of the Hifiman 'effortless' very high end models that Amir reviewed, with vanishingly low distortion and impeccable L/R matching.

I personally think everyone should adjust subbass to their own preference (with flat without roll-off, or harman being a standard starting point) and the treble on these headphones was also a great starting point.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
The Sennheiser HD650s and HD800S match the Harman target extremely well without EQ.
Judging by the HD 800 frequency measurements they do not remotely match the Harman target curve.
In my experience the less invasive the PEQ the better a headphone sounds. Thaking into account i never payed more than 1000 €/$ for a headphone. IMO it's not worth the extra money. It does not translate into better performance.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Judging by the HD 800 frequency measurements they do not remotely match the Harman target curve.
In my experience the less invasive the PEQ the better a headphone sounds. Thaking into account i never payed more than 1000 €/$ for a headphone. IMO it's not worth the extra money. It does not translate into better performance.

I mentioned the HD 800S not the HD 800.

The HD 800S and 650 have a score of 83% and 85% respectively.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr5tqw0qojom9uh/Sennheiser HD650.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsp3jucy5lsty0m/Sennheiser HD800S.pdf?dl=0

There is literally not a single headphone i have seen in my life that matches the treble region of the Harman curve as good as the 650 without any EQ, it's a world renowned headphone.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
I mentioned the HD 800S not the HD 800.

The HD 800S and 650 have a score of 83% and 85% respectively.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr5tqw0qojom9uh/Sennheiser HD650.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsp3jucy5lsty0m/Sennheiser HD800S.pdf?dl=0

There is literally not a single headphone i have seen in my life that matches the treble region of the Harman curve as good as the 650 without any EQ, it's a world renowned headphone.
I wasn't talking about the HD 650. Btw, according the Solderdudes measurements my HD 650 doesn't even come close to the harman target curve, i'm not arguing about other samples, just mine. See his measurment for more details.

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"Is an expensive headphone worth it if you have to apply eq to get them to sound good?"

Of course.
The use of an EQ, should be seen as personalization.

Top Bottom