• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not the case here. Only 9068AS can decide on-chip, so far. This uses 2x 9038Q2M.
Ah. Did not know that-thanks for the clarification.

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If someone was able to implement PEQ in a simple way (probably loading the data from a PC), and then just switching presets, that would be a nice step forward in functionality.
That was pretty much my thoughts. It would not be hard and would provide all the needed functionality. If one was really enthusiastic a smart phone app.

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
RME killer… almost. At this price, nothing beats it, but I’d love to see the addition of DSP at say, around $499.

In any case, this is going to sell like hotcakes. A nearly perfect, compact desktop setup for headphones and powered monitors.
Generally yes, considering the price. I would get it, if i wouldn't already have the RME. It even has BT which the RME has not, the RME has crossfeed and DSP. It all depends on what's more important for the buyer.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not the case here. Only 9068AS can decide on-chip, so far. This uses 2x 9038Q2M.
So can every DAC with this chip decode MQA?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
@JohnYang1997, I am thinking about getting minidsp shd studio to connect to two DAC with xlr out. One DAC XLR out direct to amp. One DAC xlr out direct to subwoofers.

This EX5 seems like a good candidate for DAC with xlr out. Do you have any other suggestions?

Also, do you plan to create something like minidsp shd anytime soon? Thanks!

Veri

Master Contributor
So can every DAC with this chip decode MQA?
Here it is programmed outside the DAC so anything could use such an approach. Just need the know-how.
If you meant the on-DAC chip approach, yeah that works out of the box (not the case here as mentioned).

Music1969

Major Contributor
Signal to noise ratio at much reduced output level of 50 mv to simulate what you would get with a very sensitive IEM shows very low noise floor:

I was getting nervous until I reached here, because all measurements were state of the art.

Luckily my RME ADI-2 is still higher up in this important (to me) 50mV SNR measurement but only a couple dB

My RME has more power on tap too

This is still stellar and look at the price

Last edited:

Kervel

Forum Donor
@JohnYang1997, I am thinking about getting minidsp shd studio to connect to two DAC with xlr out. One DAC XLR out direct to amp. One DAC xlr out direct to subwoofers.

This EX5 seems like a good candidate for DAC with xlr out. Do you have any other suggestions?

Also, do you plan to create something like minidsp shd anytime soon? Thanks!
Perhaps topping d30pro? It skips the headphone amp

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Bingo! Who needs D90SE, take off MQA logo, bring it down in pricing, well done! Intrigued :p

Trell

Major Contributor
RME killer… almost. At this price, nothing beats it, but I’d love to see the addition of DSP at say, around $499.
In any case, this is going to sell like hotcakes. A nearly perfect, compact desktop setup for headphones and powered monitors.
Generally yes, considering the price. I would get it, if i wouldn't already have the RME. It even has BT which the RME has not, the RME has crossfeed and DSP. It all depends on what's more important for the buyer.

At this level of performance I too think it's more about features and price than just to eek out the last dB of improvement in SINAD. I recently bought the RME ADI-2-DAC FS when I was looking for a single device replacement of my MOTU M2 that has a more powerful headphone amp, but still has XLR balanced output and a mic preamp. I ended up with the ADI-2-DAC because of the PEQ and the dynamic loudness feature but kept my MOTU M2 for mic duties. The new RME FireFace UCX II was something I initially looked at (has other nice features as well as well as more input/output options) but no PEQ/dynamic loudness.

I believe that Topping will release DACs with DSP sometime.

AntoniusRoses

They're not paying $50 for MQA. Would you like some more money off because this pointlessly supports high-resolution too?
Oh absolutely not, the golden lil sticker makes everything sound better, I have one on my waterbottle thus now it extrudes beauty in an audiophilic way.;)

Top Bottom