• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Tks

Major Contributor
Wow @JohnYang1997 Was this design yours as well? You finally made a DX3 Pro (well DX7 Pro I should say) sequel I've been begging for. ANNNND you and Topping brought back the ESS chip as seen last in the awesome DX7 Pro. Got rid of the output impedance I hope (the only real problem that thing had, though it seems Amir forgot to test it).

Seeing as how it has XLR outputs, does this mean the 4-pin output on the front is "fake balanced" at least, or is it purly just a convenience thing?

Toku

Major Contributor
The Topping D90 and DX3 Pro LDAC have been discontinued at Shenzhen Audio, but is the EX5 the successor to the DX3 Pro LDAC?

DanTheMan

I bought the 30 Pro stack and I'm almost having buyer's remorse. I did need the analogue input, so there's that. But to think I basically paid twice the price for the looks of a stack and the analogue input to the amp is making me sad.

Think I may get this for my brother as a present. Along some Sundaras.
Aandres! My long lost brother! Thank you so much! I love it! Truly love it. I’ll never forget it.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Wow @JohnYang1997 Was this design yours as well? You finally made a DX3 Pro (well DX7 Pro I should say) sequel I've been begging for. ANNNND you and Topping brought back the ESS chip as seen last in the awesome DX7 Pro. Got rid of the output impedance I hope (the only real problem that thing had, though it seems Amir forgot to test it).

Seeing as how it has XLR outputs, does this mean the 4-pin output on the front is "fake balanced" at least, or is it purly just a convenience thing?
Convenience but XLR is indeed the better connector.

jensgk

Forum Donor
Might create a non-MQA version with 20 dollar premium.:p:p:p:p
I would also consider such a device next time I am in the market.
You could also just market this device without the MQA badge and MQA status LED. Some people, goes to great effort to scrape those things off., since showcasing a device with the MQA badge is a bit embarrassing.

urfaust

Another nice unit and alternative. I like the new THDN vs output for IEMs that are usually very low impedance around 16-32, and see if anything breaks around there.

Tks

Major Contributor
Convenience but XLR is indeed the better connector.

But there's balanced out!

darth-vader-nooo.jpg

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
What opamp in particular does this use? The new OPA1656 like in the A30pro?

alekksander

The EX5 produced exceptionally good performance with bot

oups!

regarding this unit: i am another user with regrets about d30+hpa (l30) combo i just bought instead of waiting for ex5 and having it in one package. ex5 downsides for me is the mqa support and it's front led (i would never use) and inconsistent fonts on front panel making it looks a bit more budget than it's necessary.

does it have dac+pre modes we got used to? if so, how does the volume knob acts in dac mode? wonder what other modes are acting like.

Last edited:

mslim

This one ticks a lot of check boxes for me. Just waiting for a period of usage and reviews before I jump in........I hope no heat issues.....

Top Bottom