• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's amusing. I was 'shadowbanned' (as in ...my posts were set to be 'invisible' to everyone) there by a moderator years ago because I challenged his creationist posts.

That was prior to my being given thousands of 'negative reputation points' by a moderator, and then banned outright, for promoting the idea that amps don't sound different (except with the usual provisos).

Audioholics, indeed.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Jerry is on point:
Audiophiles Need To Embrace Science Over Religion For The Hobby To Have a Future
https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/future-audiophiles
Audiophiles Need To Embrace Religion Over Science For The Hobby To Have a Future

many of you have not known the days when a hi-fi system was a social marker and one of the few sources of audio visual entertainment along with television.

Then digital arrived: games, video, internet ... and virtual reality relegating audiophilia to the world of sects.

Audiophilia does not have to embrace science, it does not have and more interest in this consumerist and ultra subjectivist world see conspiracy

Freeway

Last edited:

MarkS

Major Contributor
Audiophiles Need To Embrace Religion Over Science For The Hobby To Have a Future
This is right. If audiophiles embraced science, they would buy Monoprice cables and $200 Sony receivers, which are sonically identical to their fancy hardware. (Note to the reader: this includes your hardware.)

Poof! goes the audio specialty business.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Nope - it would transform into a nice listening space for different speakers

or euphonic amp comparisons featuring First What vs. Benchmuck vs. Purified

MarkS

Major Contributor
Nope - it would transform into a nice listening space for different speakers
The ever-shrinking number of such spaces rely on audiophool purchases of high-margin items like cables to keep them afloat.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yet there are several new places that charge $$ to visit and listen to high end systems... selling comestibles adds income too

MarkS

Major Contributor
That might be a workable business model. But it goes against the general grain of luxury marketing, so I guess we'll see. And my guess is that those places are still selling cables.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yet there are several new places that charge $$ to visit and listen to high end systems... selling comestibles adds income too
I was amazed to visit a "high-end" audio store in San Francisco that told me I'd need to schedule a speaker listening session at least two weeks in advance, and that the associated fee would apply to any purchase over $5,000.

Opted to purchase elsewhere. They did have some sweet gear, though. I don't begrudge them their business model, but it doesn’t really work for me.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was amazed to visit a "high-end" audio store in San Francisco that told me I'd need to schedule a speaker listening session at least two weeks in advance, and that the associated fee would apply to any purchase over $5,000.

Opted to purchase elsewhere. They did have some sweet gear, though. I don't begrudge them their business model, but it doesn’t really work for me.

This post deserves to be on the audiophoolery thread

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audiophoolery-humour-thread.14494/

BluesDaddy

This is right. If audiophiles embraced science, they would buy Monoprice cables and $200 Sony receivers, which are sonically identical to their fancy hardware. (Note to the reader: this includes your hardware.)

Then they deserve to go and new businesses will arise to serve the market. Wife's great grandfather owned a feed and buggy store in Nashville the first decade of the 20th century. He change over to farm equipment with the rise of the automobile. Couldn't keep selling those expensive buggy whips.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Happily for audio retailers, science is not going to displace audiophoolery any time soon, and so they can keep selling those high-mark-up items like cables.

falkin42

I did it! I read every post in the thread (skimmed a few of the longer, more repetitive posts from certain individuals). Sorry to make it show up in subscription notifications again. I just enjoy reading discussions from people more willing to argue than I am. I do wish people could be nicer, even when they're right. But then when you walk into the lions' den...
Anyway, I'll go back to lurking now and just say thanks again for the incredible wealth of information that's going to let me not feel like I'm missing out, because I could NEVER justify spending even a quarter of what they want for this equipmonk.

chad2

Ten Signs that you may be suffering from Audiophilus Nervosa, the neurotic behavior of the self-described "Audiophile":

#1: You have a box full of line level interconnects but can only use two pair at any given time.
#2: You have multiple LP copies of the same title, being wrapped up in the search for "The Perfect Copy".
#3: You have, at one time or another, used a green marker on your CDs or attached "rings" to said CDs, and can hear the difference.
#4: You have adjusted VTA on your tonearm so many times, you have worn out the screws.
#5: You are "into" swapping tubes.
#6: You have "Upgraded" your electronic gear with "High-End" passive parts.
#7: You have a re-clocking device between your digital source and your DAC, and the DAC set you back $10,000.00
#8: There are scratch marks all over your floor from constantly re-positioning your heavy floorstanding speakers.
#9: You KNOW LPs sound better.
#10: You get into a pointless argument on ASR and then get blocked.

how many of these do you have to suffer from before you know its an actual problem :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:
#6 LOL

DSJR

Major Contributor
They DO make graphic equalisers and some are very popular - they're called valve/tube amps (ok, there are a few notable exceptions, but not the types audiophools buy at great expense).

Headchef

They DO make graphic equalisers and some are very popular - they're called valve/tube amps (ok, there are a few notable exceptions, but not the types audiophools buy at great expense).

hey! I have a valve amp! Although apparently due to its design it’s no different if you pull the glowing bits out and replace it with non glowing bits

steve59

Major Contributor
Do you guys go on harley forums and tell them their bikes are stupid motophoolia and a proper scooter has better power to weigh?

If you're in the scooter business you do. Lol. This forum won't affect those of us passionate about music and home
reproduction.
There's always those of us who need to be right so deeply that we feel a need to convince others of our truth and there's the professionals here that are offering their experience. I don't think the pros are the ones posting this particular religion (science)on the audiophile forums.

Top Bottom