• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Topping marketing department is working a lot

https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/topping-d90se-dac-review/

I guess now, the smart strategy is convince the objectivist and subjectivist community ;-)

It seems that the only thing missing from the D90SE (as with the D90) is an output stage with a better driving capability. Everything else is perfect. And we sort of knew that for the D90 as well. Use a suitable preamp or connect to a power amp with a high-ish input impedance (for instance, not to naked purifi modules) and the DAC problem is solved.

I really would like to see a D90SE-like DAC with more inputs (double USB, Toslink and RCA, not single), that would be what would convince me to upgrade the D90. And without MQA, please.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It seems that the only thing missing from the D90SE (as with the D90) is an output stage with a better driving capability. Everything else is perfect. And we sort of knew that for the D90 as well. Use a suitable preamp or connect to a power amp with a high-ish input impedance (for instance, not to naked purifi modules) and the DAC problem is solved.

I really would like to see a D90SE-like DAC with more inputs (double USB, Toslink and RCA, not single), that would be what would convince me to upgrade the D90. And without MQA, please.
It will drive purifi module input stage with no issue. Our headphone amps have 2k input impedance. Unless you want higher voltage then you need something else.
D90 original one also drives purifi module without issue.

dan2021

@amirm Can I ask, in terms of pure sound quality (so not considering build, connection or features like MQA), can I ask is there a big difference/any difference between the D90SE with the ESS9038 Pro and the D50S with the ESS9038Q2M?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just add a Pre90 preamp for their top of the line pair that serves exactly that.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks!

Oh wow! We have a record breaker here when it comes to SINAD...
But we're not at the standard 4 Volts, so this might provide a slight advantage.

The clocks are not the same Accusilicon. What clocks are now ?

dmac6419

Major Contributor
just ordered! Getting rid of my SU-9 and most likely it'd take an earth shattering product from SMSL to get my business going forward.
And people wonder why these small stores are charging a restocking fee,don't be mad if you get charged.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@JohnYang1997 Congrats!

Where's your recommended source to purchase via official channels in the USA?

CelicaGTS

@JohnYang1997 could you please shred some light on the following:
1. Will A90 pairs nicely with D90SE at 5.2v?
2. Should I wait for A90SE to match perfectly with D90SE at 5.2v?
3. If I use D90SE exclusively with DSD256 (or 512) contents, will it perform at the same SINAD level compares to PCM?
Thank you for this remarkable DAC!

Top Bottom