• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD600 Review (Headphone)

HereYaGo

Considering I got rid of the hd600 after a few days of use doesn't surprise me. No bass extension. No treble extension. Just all mids. No dynamics. No Soundstage. Awful clamping force. Such trashy phones yo. Also 5khz peak fail

Limopard

How do we know they've been losing money? Aren't they a private company? Maybe I'm wrong.

Not so much Beats, but the consumer market definitely seems to be switching to Bluetooth headphones. Maybe the Sennheiser family just decided to get out because the headphone market does seems to be in a lot of turmoil right now. And because of the large popularity of headphones, they were able to get out with a really good price, and then they can diversify their assets.
You can access a shortened group report for 2019 via "Bundesanzeiger" for free. No data for 2020 yet.

D

Deleted member 27694

You can access a shortened group report for 2019 via "Bundesanzeiger" for free. No data for 2020 yet.
Das Unternehmen nannte das durchwachsene Geschäftsjahr 2019 und Auswirkungen der Corona-Pandemie als Hintergrund.

MatteoS

HELLO

I have heard the Senn HD600 and I don't like the sound, without real "dynamics" that seems limited .. like listening to music through a high end intercom. No thanks! I strongly suggest to hear this headphone before to buy.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A prime example of personal taste.
Nothing wrong with that, just don't think they are universal facts, even when some others agree.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
HELLO

I have heard the Senn HD600 and I don't like the sound, without real "dynamics" that seems limited .. like listening to music through a high end intercom. No thanks! I strongly suggest to hear this headphone before to buy.
I strongly suggest applying EQ to it before judging it. :)

D

Deleted member 27694

A prime example of personal taste.
Nothing wrong with that, just don't think they are universal facts, even when some others agree.
There are one or two guys out there who really, really like the HD 600…plus this ex MS employee…

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There are also folks that really, really like $10.- headphones and $4k+ headphones. In all cases others have expressed opposing views on all headphones measured here (and elsewhere).

It always comes down to taste or 'bias' (or incorrect usage)
As with any headphone... one needs to get used to the sound before comparing it to other headphones, certainly when other headphones have some euphonic 'coloring' of the sound.

the HD600 is well sold and only a few make it to the second hand market.
The fact that it is still sold (20 years now) should tell anyone it isn't a bad headphone.
Poor selling headphones usually are taken from the market after a few years.

I don't own one but did own HD580 Precision. Owning a HD650 already I did not see the reason for keeping the HD580 which sounded relatively 'boring' compared to the HD650.

D

Deleted member 27694

There are also folks that really, really like $10.- headphones and $4k+ headphones. In all cases others have expressed opposing views on all headphones measured here (and elsewhere).

It always comes down to taste or 'bias' (or incorrect usage)
As with any headphone... one needs to get used to the sound before comparing it to other headphones, certainly when other headphones have some euphonic 'coloring' of the sound.

the HD600 is well sold and only a few make it to the second hand market.
The fact that it is still sold (20 years now) should tell anyone it isn't a bad headphone.
Poor selling headphones usually are taken from the market after a few years.

I don't own one but did own HD580 Precision. Owning a HD650 already I did not see the reason for keeping the HD580 which sounded relatively 'boring' compared to the HD650.
…of course it is a great headphone. I was making a joke. It is around for many years. Praised by reviewers and consumers and afaik also very close to HK target. It is self evident that everything comes down to a matter of personal taste. Even if 95% like a hp there are up to 5% who don’t. And vise versa. If I remember correctly than the dt 990 was reviewed very poorly by Amir. But there are a lot of people out there who really really like the DT990 250. Also rtings liked them and a lot of other “reviewers” too and if I remember correctly they did also pretty good in HK Sean Olive paper. So there is no single source of truth. But if a thing is around for so many years like the HD 600 AND the DT 990 you can assume that there: is a) demand b) and that is because many people like the product

HereYaGo

I spent many years listening to the tonal differences of every microphone on the market and when I got to headphones it's literally exactly the same. Dt990 have a awful 6khz peak as well as higher treble peaks that make them sound extremely shrill out of the box. I was one of the few people to give them a chance because altho I knew they were flawed I was still looking for better. Over time tho the 6khz peak went away and 3-4khz started to bother me more than 6khz. The shrillness also went away. Then I found oratory1990 used pads measurements and realized I found a gold mine headphone. But in every enthusiast community most will say there is no such thing as best. But I regularly find the best for me while they're still collecting headphones til the end of time making excuses why they need to buy 100's of headphones like total nutcases.

D

Deleted member 27694

I spent many years listening to the tonal differences of every microphone on the market and when I got to headphones it's literally exactly the same. Dt990 have a awful 6khz peak as well as higher treble peaks that make them sound extremely shrill out of the box. I was one of the few people to give them a chance because altho I knew they were flawed I was still looking for better. Over time tho the 6khz peak went away and 3-4khz started to bother me more than 6khz. The shrillness also went away. Then I found oratory1990 used pads measurements and realized I found a gold mine headphone. But in every enthusiast community most will say there is no such thing as best. But I regularly find the best for me while they're still collecting headphones til the end of time making excuses why they need to buy 100's of headphones like total nutcases.
It is a hobby and there are worse ways to spend your money. At least that’s what I tell myself.;) But I get your point. Homo economicus probably laughs at us…

roskodan

I strongly suggest applying EQ to it before judging it. :)
But then you don't go to audiophile heaven... unless you repent and revert to "bit perfect"... and buy a bunch of expensive cables just too be sure. ;)

PuX

How do we know they've been losing money? Aren't they a private company? Maybe I'm wrong.
couldn't find much https://www.musicinstrumentnews.co.uk/2017/06/23/turnover-profits-sennheiser/
https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/int...turnover-down-in-2016-profitability-on-the-up
I think I read somewhere that their profits weren't high or were falling lately...

they were able to get out with a really good price, and then they can diversify their assets.
and what do they have left? :)
microphones and maybe monitor speakers (if Neumann can be counted as part of Sennheiser)?
what else?
everybody knew them as a headphone company.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and what do they have left? :)
microphones and maybe monitor speakers (if Neumann can be counted as part of Sennheiser)?
what else?
everybody knew them as a headphone company.

Maybe they are waiting for the right separate buyer for that? Or could be that's the only part of the company someone in the family wants to personally run. Who knows?

HereYaGo

Not gonna lie I mildly want to buy some HD650 just to say I own them. Seems like the best Sennheiser has to offer. Which is sad. I knew something was wrong with sennheiser when their flagship IEM MOMENTUM True Wireless 2 are really EPOS products.

NDRQ

They probably only changing the brand name on the factory and maybe develop a few new product. The older best selling products will be still there. Now it will be Sonova HD650..who cares...

roskodan

Or, Sennheiser HD650 Pro :p

Gurkerl

They probably only changing the brand name on the factory and maybe develop a few new product. The older best selling products will be still there. Now it will be Sonova HD650..who cares...

I doubt they would brand them as Sonova headphones, when they have a licensing agreement regarding the Sennheiser brand. The name Sennheiser still holds a lot of value amongst audiophiles.

Jimmy

The HD600 are one of the most neutral and natural sounding headphones available regardless of price, it's true they aren't perfect, but what headphone is?.

Your post says a lot about why personal opinions shouldn't be blindly trusted without being backed with objective data (measurements), which this review does.

Considering I got rid of the hd600 after a few days of use doesn't surprise me. No bass extension. No treble extension. Just all mids. No dynamics. No Soundstage. Awful clamping force. Such trashy phones yo. Also 5khz peak fail

HereYaGo

The HD600 are one of the most neutral and natural sounding headphones available regardless of price, it's true they aren't perfect, but what headphone is?.

Your post says a lot about why personal opinions shouldn't be blindly trusted without being backed with objective data (measurements), which this review does.
I got a challenge for you if you know what natural sounds like and base your judgements on measurements then draw up the optimum frequency response and point out the hd600 problem spots. The treble is clearly scooped out even on the. Easurements of this review. So correct me if you can by drawing it up for me. Correct everything I said by showing your work on the measurements

Top Bottom