• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music is dead.

Bastia

I read an article years back that was talking about the affect the internet has on music.

Different sounds used to develop in different parts of the country and then when they got good enough they'd suddenly appear on the radio in the rest of the country. We'd end up with the New Jersey sound, a completely different type of pop out of Miami, something unique from Seattle and on and on suddenly getting a lot of airtime. Before the bands from those areas hit it big it wasn't likely the rest of the population would hear them so the bands and aspiring singers from the other areas wouldn't have been influenced by that sound and would continue to work on their own. Now everyone hears everything from everywhere so we rarely get vastly different sounds coming to market at the same time. If breathy vocals are in then that is all we get and most on youtube emulate that.
The people that really dig into what is out there can find some unique sounds but they rarely develop to a level that hits the big market.

It sure changed back from when there was no internet, less regional I guess, but there is still typical 'sounds' coming from different countries. Even in black-metal, a genre mostly known for harsh guitar sounds, evil imagery and crappy production, there are different recognisable sounds from different countries. It really is not very different than the scenes that gave us Pink Floyd, King Crimson and Genesis... They all play progressive rock, but sound pretty different.

Robin L

Master Contributor
True, I have been trying to get into Wagner and Richard Strauss for 50 years. I know they are excellent but...
I understand that it's better than it sounds.
This is worthwhile:

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
When you guys refer to "PJ," do you mean PJ Harvey? If so, is that how Brits refer to her? I.e., is she big enough in England that everyone knows who you're talking about w.out mentioning last name?

Asking cause I'm in the USA. She is not universally known here; not a big star. Confirming this is fact that she I don't think she's toured in the US since 2017, although I vaguely recall she did a date in Brooklyn in Summer 2019. She can fill mid-sized venues in hipper cities, sorta like when Bryan Ferry tours here. Nevertheless, she does have a substantial and very passionate following, myself included, who not only like her work but view her as a important and serious artist.

Anyway, I hope I'm not revealing myself as an old guy and you're really referring to some autotune act of whom I'm unfamiliar. BTW, I'm a late Boomer, so one generational cohort older than her typical fan. Anyway, she is awesome and I am enjoying the release of demo versions of all her albums.
I mean Pearl Jam :cool:

bt3

Yasuo

Yes, now music is made for profit, rather than from passion & talent.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well almost...
I can't help but feel that older music is just is so much better than all the new stuff being released today in all music genres.
There isn't one modern rock band that even comes close to Radiohead, Nirvana, PJ etc..
No artist that comes close to MJ
No new Bob Dylan, no new Jeff Buckley etc...
Well you get my point.
All new music and artists are just mediocre at best, except in some rare cases (Joanna Newsom, Regina spektor)
Does anyone here feels the same way?

There were many good bands, my list could be big but I do listen post punk music, I loved Bauhaus, Joy Division, New Order and all those bands from the time.
I could agree, but still there are modern gems, try Dry Cleaning and the Danish band Iceage is also brilliant.
I do like Arctic Monkeys, Goodspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, last CD from Lost Horizons (from ex. Cocteaw and Jesus and Mary Chains) will bring you to the 80s and The Antlers.

Just some bands that I like :)

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Well almost...
I can't help but feel that older music is just is so much better than all the new stuff being released today in all music genres.
There isn't one modern rock band that even comes close to Radiohead, Nirvana, PJ etc..
No artist that comes close to MJ
No new Bob Dylan, no new Jeff Buckley etc...
Well you get my point.
All new music and artists are just mediocre at best, except in some rare cases (Joanna Newsom, Regina spektor)
Does anyone here feels the same way?

So what you're really saying is that Rock is dead. RIP. As a jazz fan, I don't really care. Jazz is very much alive.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I can only imagine people alive during Mozart's time..

"To hell with this present day garbage, bring back the Gregorian Hymns!"
Bach was a throwback, he didn't get the gigs got Telemann as Bach's music was considered too old fashioned. Bach is such a freakin' miracle, really talented, really productive, didn't come up with much crap, genius of polyphony, not particularly successful in his own time but successful enough to produce a really large body of first rate work.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It sure changed back from when there was no internet, less regional I guess, but there is still typical 'sounds' coming from different countries. Even in black-metal, a genre mostly known for harsh guitar sounds, evil imagery and crappy production, there are different recognisable sounds from different countries. It really is not very different than the scenes that gave us Pink Floyd, King Crimson and Genesis... They all play progressive rock, but sound pretty different.
The access to global music sources and genres is a great point. There is so much more from every country now at our fingertips, and the cross influence is greater than ever. I think it's hard to know where to start in order to discover what you like. Like we need better personalization in music services to cue up novel music that appeals to our tastes.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bach was a throwback, he didn't get the gigs got Telemann as Bach's music was considered too old fashioned. Bach is such a freakin' miracle, really talented, really productive, didn't come up with much crap, genius of polyphony, not particularly successful in his own time but successful enough to produce a really large body of first rate work.
Typical. Nobody appreciates an artist until they are dead.:)

Yasuo

How do you know that? You don't think Zeppelin or The Who wanted to make money?

Maybe they wanted to, but to achieve that they had to offer their very best. Nowadays it's just a matter of finding the right record label which has the money and power to promote anything that they consider it will bring profit. That's how below average songs become popular - by repeating them all over the media. Sadly people have become more superficial and ignorant. Don't get me wrong, I want to find good new music, but it's so hard. I love to hear the instruments, voice(s), lyrics and melody. Don't want to digress but, this current state applies to other "arts" as well.

Top Bottom