• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Having a Feeling of Shame Gives Rise to Courage--SMSL M500 V2

MalinYamato

Just ordered it, how do I check that it's version 2?
on the unit, go-to systems.
There it should show SW 1.6 or above HW: 1.3 or above

reddeath

I recently purchased M500 and when it finally arrived yesterday, the version is: SW 1.6 and HW: 1.3.
As I understand 1.6 is not the latest, because other users reported having 1.7 some months ago already. I don't understand why I got an older version. I ordered from hifi-express and the unit, despite choosing delivery from EU, arrived from China.
I don't see the DPLL setting in the menu. Was it added in SW 1.7?
Is it possible to update 1.6 to 1.7? I have not encountered any updated files for download that can do it.

cecelo01

I recently purchased M500 and when it finally arrived yesterday, the version is: SW 1.6 and HW: 1.3.
As I understand 1.6 is not the latest, because other users reported having 1.7 some months ago already. I don't understand why I got an older version. I ordered from hifi-express and the unit, despite choosing delivery from EU, arrived from China.
I don't see the DPLL setting in the menu. Was it added in SW 1.7?
Is it possible to update 1.6 to 1.7? I have not encountered any updated files for download that can do it.

My M500 V.2 is updated to the latest version (2.06). The same firmware on the M400, applies to the M500 V.2.

reddeath

My M500 V.2 is updated to the latest version (2.06). The same firmware on the M400, applies to the M500 V.2.
By 1.6 I mean the SW version visible in the system menu on the unit. It says SW 1.6 and HW: 1.3 in that menu.
The 2.06 is a firmware of the USB part of the unit, which you can only see in the driver's control panel in Windows.
I have seen in number of posts here on the forums, that people received units with version 1.7 of SW. Hence my conclusion that I got an old, possibly used / returned unit, instead of a new one straight from the factory.

cecelo01

No! Your unit is not old. The hardware version from 1.6 onwards is equivalent to the new version 2 of the M500

Last edited:

cecelo01

In the version of HARDWARE 1.6, you must UPDATE the firmware to version 2.06. With this firmware update, you end the squeaking bug when playing at 768 kHz. In version 1.7 of HARDWARE you do NOT need to apply firmware update 2.06, as it is already updated.

Last edited:

cecelo01

The difference between V 1.6 and V1.7 is just that. At the hardware level, it's the same dac. There is NO difference in performance. I really like my M500 V.2. Excellent dac.
I recently bought a SU-9 for my other environment.

reddeath

The difference between V 1.6 and V1.7 is just that. At the hardware level, it's the same dac. There is NO difference in performance. I really like my M500 V.2. Excellent dac.
The unit arrived with SW 1.6 and xmos firmware version 2.06. I don't need to update the xmos firmware. Your theory does not hold in my case. Why is there no official note on these versions on the smsl website?

cecelo01

Instead of questioning SMSL. Do as I did. I sent an email with all doubts to SMSL and they answered by solving all my doubts.
My M500 V.2 is playing really well and without any problems.

cecelo01

If your M500 is the same as mine (SW 1.6 and HW: 1.3), you have to update the firmware to version 2.06, as I did here. The bug I had when sampling at 768 kHz, is over. My 500 is perfect. If your M500 has already been updated to firmware version 2.06, you do not need to upgrade.

MalinYamato

congrats on your m500 -- I have used mine since August which also feeds my speakers through a power amp. It has been working beautifully flawlessly and this is a total end game for me.

tommyst

If your M500 is the same as mine (SW 1.6 and HW: 1.3), you have to update the firmware to version 2.06, as I did here. The bug I had when sampling at 768 kHz, is over. My 500 is perfect. If your M500 has already been updated to firmware version 2.06, you do not need to upgrade.
I have the exactly same hardware as yours (SW 1.6 HW 1.3). I updated the bios from 2.01 to 2.06 with the method you described. It worked as the driver now shows 2.06. But I don't get the DPLL setting. It works probabvly only with software Ver 1.7?

reddeath

I have the exactly same hardware as yours (SW 1.6 HW 1.3). I updated the bios from 2.01 to 2.06 with the method you described. It worked as the driver now shows 2.06. But I don't get the DPLL setting. It works probabvly only with software Ver 1.7?

It is the same question I posted earlier. I got my unit recently, but it came with SW version 1.6, instead of the newer version 1.7 that some users reported getting couple of months earlier. I have no DPLL setting in the menu either.

tommyst

Yes it the same issue. I wonder if it worked with cecelo01's unit. But I guess it didn't work either. So without the possibility to flash the software version to 1. 7 there will be no DPLL, even if we have also V2. I bought my unit almost one year ago. Strange that you didn' get the newer version.
It is the same question I posted earlier. I got my unit recently, but it came with SW version 1.6, instead of the newer version 1.7 that some users reported getting couple of months earlier. I have no DPLL setting in the menu either.

reddeath

Yes it the same issue. I wonder if it worked with cecelo01's unit. But I guess it didn't work either. So without the possibility to flash the software version to 1. 7 there will be no DPLL, even if we have also V2. I bought my unit almost one year ago. Strange that you didn' get the newer version.

Exactly, I am worried that I got a refurbished unit. I even sent an email with the serial number to one of the sales managers from SMSL in China. Of course, no reply whatsoever.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Did you notice any variance in SQ between M500v2 and SU9 or prefer one over the other...given they are a year apart in release date but have the same HW as far as I can tell.... thanks

Toku

Major Contributor
The unit arrived with SW 1.6 and xmos firmware version 2.06. I don't need to update the xmos firmware. Your theory does not hold in my case. Why is there no official note on these versions on the smsl website?
There are three types of Ver. Displayed on the M500.

The first is the firmware version for USB connection, which can be updated by the user using a PC.
Ver. 2.01 and Ver. 2.06 displayed on the USB Control Panel on the PC are the versions of the USB firmware.

The second is the firmware version of the MCU (CPU) that controls the operation of the M500. This cannot be updated on the user side. Updates are done at the factory using a dedicated tool.
The part displayed as SW 1.5, SW 1.6, SW 1.7 is the firmware version of this MCU (CPU). It becomes Ver.2 and is displayed as SW 1.6 and SW 1.7.

The third is the M500 hardware version. HW 1.2 and HW 1.3 are displayed on the display, indicating the version of hardware such as a PC board, and HW 1.3 is Ver.2.

SLMSL does not officially announce these changes and is always confusing to users.
SMSL answers pre-purchase questions, but does not answer any post-purchase technical questions.

iamkimosabi

So...i've been reading...V1 is worse than V2 because of thermal issues? Wouldn't a thermal pad+heatsink help? Maybe a tiny CPU fan?

D

Deleted member 31750

Ah yes, the Hans Beekhuyzen Channel :facepalm: Seriously though, your username ends on 'expert' but these past pages all you're sharing/spreading is audiophile nonsense the likes head-fi or other forums take for absolute truths. It's starting to get on my nerves, we are trying to be a better forum here. That means NOT posting "ears over measurements" propaganda on an audio science forum. Like, come on man.

View attachment 76574

You take this man serious??? Really? His theory is absolute nonsense, by the way. I have the feeling this guy has no engineering or electronics background whatsoever. This really is the age of misinformation... :(
What is science since you are referring to it? I like measurements from the forum, that’s why I subscribed but also subjective opinions. All welcome. After all we are free to make our own mind.

Top Bottom