• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to the Okto website, they are temporarily not taking orders.

"Due to large amount of orders, we have temporarily stopped taking new orders. Thank you for your understanding. "

Mashuri

I received mine last Friday after it languished in customs for 2 days. I got a call from customs asking what it was - mostly to clarify that there were no wooden components strangely enough. Once I explained what a DAC was and there was probably one in their pocket I received it 2 days later via FedEx.

To be clear, mine was a DAC8PRO and not a stereo version. Hope your delivery resolves itself quickly!

Yes, mine is a DAC8PRO as well, and I still haven’t received it. That’s a lot of time between two sequential orders.

Machismo

While we are waiting for the orders, I will answer some of my own questions from the past:

Machismo said:
when my Umik-2 will arrive, I'll have a handy way to check from the speaker if the response goes to, for example 25 khz or over. If it does, then the whole chain must be operating above 48 khz and everything is in order. I already have the Umik-1, but it cannot not measure so high.

This was just like I thought, now my system and the mic do go over 25khz and it is a great way to check that everything is in order. Of course the tweeter also needs to be capable of playing high frequency too.
Machismo said:
Only thing that was a bit weird, was how the UMIK-1 compared to my traditional analog high quality measurement mic. I felt Umik was not so good in results. And now, behold, the UMIK-2 came out. Very interesting to see if that works better, or was it just my imagination.

Now that I have used my UMIK-2 for some time, it really seems to give better results, more pleasant and natural sound. Also the frequency response I measured with UMIK-1 vs UMIK-2 is not quite the same, even both have their correction file loaded. So yeah, not a surprise they might sound a bit different.
Machismo said:
I hope there is an 96 khz output format selectable in windows sound settings for the SHD Studio when connected with usb?

Yes there was and it works perfectly.

Last edited:

Mashuri

I was told via email that my unit (next in line) is waiting for a supply of front plates to be delivered. They expect them any day and are supposed to email me when my unit ships out.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone been able to reach Okto for support?
SMathews
Barely. He’d have one heck of a business if he knew business 101 (communication)

Thb2021

My Dac8 Stereo died - - the screen won't turn on, though volumio app recognizes the rPi has booted. The screen and volume control froze before dying altogether. I've reached out and hoping i hear back.

usmat

Have the DAC8 Pro up and running. Weird issue I had to deal with. Played music through it ok on Day 1. On Day 2, my 2011 Mac Mini did not recognize the DAC. Had to unplug and plug the power supply cable of the Dac for my mac mini to recognize it. Strange. Am loving the sound.

usmat

Are you still having the screen issue? Did you hear back from Okto Research?

My Dac8 Stereo died - - the screen won't turn on, though volumio app recognizes the rPi has booted. The screen and volume control froze before dying altogether. I've reached out and hoping i hear back.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This coming Wednesday will be my 18th week, DAC 8 Pro, ordered January 6th, order # 291. Anyone know the number of the latest shipment. Are they even up to the 250s yet?

awatkins

I’m in the same boat (roughly: #300.). That’s why I’m interested in the time from order to shipping.

SimonSambuca

I just asked support last month about the delivery date - I will probably have to wait for my DAC 8 Pro until the end of May (#254). So you probably have to expect 6 months delivery time from the order date...

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't want to speak ill, but five months to be delivered + issues already reported relative to the very few units sent...:rolleyes:

Doesn't look like the Okto is a good deal after all. I recommended it to friends, based on objective performance, but I will stop until they fix this messed-up production (productivity and quality control).

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't want to speak ill, but five months to be delivered + issues already reported relative to the very few units sent...:rolleyes:

Doesn't look like the Okto is a good deal after all. I recommended it to friends, based on objective performance, but I will stop until they fix this messed-up production (productivity and quality control).

Quality & specs is NOT everything.
Consider after sales service and customer's relation.
That's usually the problem with rather small companies vs a solid implanted company with some infrastructure.

It's not a particular Okto issue.

Top Bottom