• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dorirod

Was playing around with sox spectrogram, and got this for one of the tracks. Very curious 60Hz line throughout track 9. Not sure if it's a sox artifact, or something in the recording.

Black Snake Moan - 09 - John Doe - The Losing Kind

$ sox 09*mp3 -n rate 200 channels 1 spectrogram -x 1200 -y 600 -Z 5 -o sox.png
sox.png

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Some proper bass play. The entire album is a master class on how to play the bass.

Disclaimer: don't know how the Youtube version sounds, am on laptop speakers right now.

Last edited:

goldenears

That's what I suspected as well, but a little shocked that a 2006/2007 recording would have that kind of issue.

I'm not shocked by anything. So many pro recordings have clipping and other problems. Not a problem if you're only mastering for earbuds and tinny litte phone speakers.

Prepare yourself to be shocked even more and check out https://www.reddit.com/r/Productionglitches/

Some of those are so bad a 60Hz hum seems insignificant. And on big records too.

Last edited:

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning

No comment about bass, only the stereo is reversed, as if "you are playing". And the look on the other guy's face is priceless, IMO.

RHO

Major Contributor
This is actually an awesome test track for many reasons.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me join you with this;
The lowest pipe is 30 Hz, I believe. Hope you would purchase the CD for actual amazing recording quality...

Although quite belated, I successfully installed and activated Adobe Audition 3.01, and just analyzed this track "Recit de Tierce en taille" in AIFF format ripped from the physical CD DOR-90134 (not from the YouTube clip);
WS001625.JPG

dasdoing

Major Contributor
My original suggestion of 60dB scale was for the graph being clearly readable and not showing inaudible noise. Input bits have nothing to do with it. :)

under 40Hz we need at least 50dB
2560px-Lindos1.svg.png

and even the test-tone-ish songs here never pass -6dBFS in that range. then we have masking, too. we cloud use a 30dB range and probably still have a safty margin

b4nt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's an album full of bass (don't know how deep)

hege

Forum Donor
Top Bottom