• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Andrew Stone

Hi, I'm new. I've been lurking for a while now and loving the reviews/discussions.

I was curious if there were any plans on measuring/reviewing Audio-gd products. No one has one bad thing to say about the R2R-11 or NFB-11. Their likely most popular NFB-11.28 doesn't showcase any measurements, although they showcase measurements on their other products (maybe they have something to hide?). Lately, I've been debating ordering the NFB-11, and it's become into an awful obsession of finding more information about these guys. Thanks for considering.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am betting that Cambridge Audio is bringing out a new line of DACs because I got an email today showing that the current models are being heavily discounted by the major online retailers. The DACMagic Plus with balanced outs and an integrated headamp is now $349, down from an MSRP of $649, and the "DAC/unbalanced outs only" version is $199, down from $399. I owned a CA disc player and thought it was well constructed for the money.

I recalled that several reviewers did some extensive tests of the DACMagic Plus a few years ago and thought it was excellent. Here's a link: http://kenrockwell.com/audio/cambridge/dacmagic-plus.htm#meas

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Hi there. Welcome to the forum. Yes, I have an Audio-gd NFB 27.38 on loan for review/teardown. I am hoping to review it before the weekend.
Awesome, I've wanted to see a measurement of an Audio-GD product. See if they live upto the hype.

SoniMax

@amirm when you test the Audio G-D, do you have the equipment to also test its DAC and AMP separately as well. It would be awesome if you'd do that.

Occamsrazor

RME ADI-2 Pro/DAC

audiofool

Welcome to the forum! That is an interesting DAC in that it has balanced output. I don't think I have seen another $165 DAC with balanced out. Let me ponder if I am going to order it. :)
Hopefully you can review the Korg ds-dac100, there are a few things I am interested in:
1. Are the balanced output actually balanced, unlike the UMC204HD?
2. Are the RCA outputs driven by a separate buffer from the XLR outputs, since I would like to drive subs from the RCA and monitors from the XLR. The specs recommend a load of 10K on the XLR
3. Will the dac work with Linux, I am not familiar with the USB chip it is using, maybe it needs drivers?
4. How the J-Test using DSD 128 from hqplayer(they have a demo version) compares to pcm at 192khz

PuX

3. Will the dac work with Linux, I am not familiar with the USB chip it is using, maybe it needs drivers?
I am 90% sure it won't because there are no linux drivers on Korg website. And it's not a universal USB1 audio device.
I'll try to connect it to a linux machine and see if it's recognized at all.

Reinhold

Hi amirm,

it´s Reinhold from Head-Fi.org forum :D

It would be great if you can do some measurements of the SpeaKa USB DAC (resp. Monoprice X1)
and comparing them between the Dragonfly Black and the Topping D30.

According to a Reddit forummember the SpeaKa DAC/Monoprice X1 and the Dragonfly 1.2 use the same PCB and Chips.
Here in Germany the mini DAC only cost 10€ which will be an awesome bargain.

best regards,
Reinhold

duo8

Hi amirm,

It would be great if you can do some measurements of the SpeaKa USB DAC (resp. Monoprice X1)

According to a Reddit forummember the SpeaKa DAC/Monoprice X1 and the Dragonfly 1.2 use the same PCB and Chips.

best regards,
Reinhold
Wouldn't it be easier to just compare internal shots?

Reinhold

I´ve already send a unit to amirm and my previous post should be understood as reminder ;)
Btw. the Dragonfly Black is the successor of the Dragonfly 1.2.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi amirm,

best regards,
Reinhold
Hi Reinhold. It is coming, it is coming, it is coming! :D

For now, is the Reddit member someone in the industry or he just opened the two units and looked?

Reinhold

Hi amirm,

that are great news, I am so excited :D

Back to Reddit, i don´t know if he is from the industry. He only posted a link to some pictures from a opened Monoprice X1 DAC
(it has the same layout and Chips like the one i send you). On the PCB you will find the imprint "USB DAC V1.2".

Maybe a cheap clone? You have to find out! :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...ce_usb_dac_headphone_amp_15494_is_a/?sort=top

Sadly, i couldn´t find any pictures from an open Dragonfly.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
A test of the Chromecast audio
Nice to know what a E 39,00 DAC can do.

Top Bottom