• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WARNING: Many people selling their faulty Topping L30 amplifiers in eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tks

Major Contributor
That sentence blew my mind, especially because I work with corollaries day in and day out, yet I don't understand what it means.

There is no expectation on my part, I simply brought this issue to the attention of the forum, and John chimed in, and I really think that the balance of the thread is very positive, as John agrees that it would be in Topping's best interest to step in and contact eBay about this problem. In fact I think this thread is very helpful, and that by me bringing this serious issue up, it will allow Topping to do what they consider necessary. Similarly, it seems that it might help some unsuspecting buyers who read this thread to be aware of the problem and not buy L30 units from eBay before first verifying that they are units that had the fixes Topping implemented.

To be honest, the only people who should be upset about this thread are the scoundrels offloading defective L30 units in eBay. It doesn't seem right, for example, for a guy to sell his new and defective unit in eBay for $175 for a profit, while in the process putting somebody's equipment or personal safety in danger.

No, not really. This should be public knowledge, and I am sure Topping agrees that transparency in the long run is the best policy for any company, so I am sure they are happy I brought it up. If you were Topping, would it please you to see users selling defective units to other people? Units Topping clearly instructed them to destroy? That is not good for Topping.

About the matter of John being a representative of Topping, this is just pointless. He is representing Topping in this forum, and I am sure Topping are aware of that, regardless of what his actual placement in Topping's corporate structure is.

No waffling on my part. This problem is complicated, I know. But taking care of the eBay auctions is an important part of it, and John has agreed with me on that.

The other solution (requiring users to return their defective units before getting a replacement) seems to be prohibitive for Topping from a cost standpoint, so they are making the choice not to pursue that avenue. Logically, that solution would be expensive in the short term, but as I said it would be the best approach in the long run. Plus there are alternate implementations of this solution, such as shipping to some party in the US which can verify disposal. But I am not going to argue for that anymore, I said what I thought, and I am pleased that Topping is at least going to handle the issue regarding eBay.

I just looked again, and there are more like 15 to 20 units being sold right now. If you want a new L30 for less than $90 now is the time, a seller posted 4 of them, and he still has 2 of them left.

This problem is complicated to solve, and I am just giving my opinion. I am sure Topping have more information about the matter guiding their decisions. I'm just a potential customer, and a consumer, and I find it concerning to see all these units which should have been destroyed popping up in eBay. I thought people would be weary of selling them to unsuspecting buyers, but I guess that the prospect of a quick dollar is too powerful for some people.

Fair enough. If you've convinced John and Topping to go out and speak with eBay reps, then I have nothing to say that would make sense ant further.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're already going beyond what you should. You're not an executive, you're not in the legal department to give promises or make proclamations on what the company directive should be.

@Blank Verse is out of his depth on this issue, and conversing with you, as if you're the one that should be telling people that you would replace their headphone for being fried, when warranty claims are usually handled by distributors (and in the case of particular events, the manufacturer works with the distributor for servicing and liaison between customers).

The idea that you (just am amplifier designer) should speak on behalf of the company is insane (unless you moved up in the executive circle of the company). But even then, you wouldn't be speaking on their behalf unless green-lit by the legal team.

Something like making a public statement of "we'll replace any headphone, and fix all defective units anyone has" is idiotic. I could be upset with my headphones currently as they may have channel imbalance, and go and damage them, claiming the Topping device did it. If such a public aforementioned statement was made, Topping would serve as an insurance company, more than an audio company with how many people would potentially be making claims about damaged headphones (if only to get a new one in case theirs isn't to their liking anymore).

Blank Verse, you're talking to the wrong person and speak from ignorance on how affairs of this kind are actually handled. Even if Topping sent users literal shocking devices - where do you imagine John here would be the person to talk to about internal company policies? Him speaking ever on their behalf is a move that could end with him losing his head in the company. So when he does illuminate of company policy as something evolves, take it as someone who here in the US would basically be in breach of NDA as norms are concerned. And as such, you, piling on him like this, doesn't make much sense.

What is it you actually want him, a designer of analogue devices for Topping, to actually himself do? It's not his company, so choose your word carefully.

EDIT: you say:

Show me what sort of moves other companies do, to where Topping is falling woefully short (or John here is as well). And as for you "imagining" this may be a complicated subject. There's good reason for such intuition. Listen to it.
Pretty sure he was NOT directly speaking to @JohnYang initially. Only when John responded did the back and forth ensue. So you're argument doesn't make a lot of sense. The OP was simply trying to do a good thing in notifying the ASR community of this possible illegal and definitely unwise sale of defective units.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Eight pages of reasoning with someone who is completely irrational. You are very patient sir. I appreciate that you take time to contribute to this forum and respect the technical work that you do. Thank you.
Perhaps read what your just wrote prior to hiring the SEND button. Please be respectful on the forum- referring to a member making a rational and logical case as "irrational" is not that.

Tks

Major Contributor
Pretty sure he was NOT directly speaking to @JohnYang initially. Only when John responded did the back and forth ensue. So you're argument doesn't make a lot of sense. The OP was simply trying to do a good thing in notifying the ASR community of this possible illegal and definitely unwise sale of defective units.

True. But I was going off ofnthe conversation up until that point, and not the OPs first post. I've retracted my stance seeing as how John claims now there is going to be something Topping is doing. I got the initial impression (like any other company) theres nothing to be done according to John. Seems like there are retraction, so I retract what I said as well. No merit for what i said after that point.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes they do
Did you not read the post which debunks your statement? Have you never shipped an electronic device back under warranty where you didn't have to pay shipping costs?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Op just wanted to start a flame war it seems.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Did you not read the post which debunks your statement? Have you never shipped an electronic device back under warranty where you didn't have to pay shipping costs?
Not to China or any other country outside of the good ole US of A

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to China or any other country outside of the good ole US of A
That wasn't the question now, was it? Don't remember there being any qualifiers on the statement.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Fair enough. If you've convinced John and Topping to go out and speak with eBay reps, then I have nothing to say that would make sense ant further.
When I saw all those auctions in eBay I thought something had to be done. The only people who are benefitting from that are the scammers. It hurts customers and it hurts Topping just as much to have this going on, for multiple reasons I might outline later.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Let's look at this situation from a logical standpoint:

1. A customer who buys a defective unit without the knowledge risks damaging his headphones and even possible injury (hearing damage).
2. If something does go wrong, this is very bad for Topping, as news will continue to pop up in forums of upset people. The fact the units were recalled by Topping will make little difference, because it will still be Topping's name in the headlines, so it is best for Topping to handle this.
3. If nothing goes wrong, the worst case scenario is that Topping is losing a sale for an item they produced they didn't benefit from, since it was replaced by a new unit at no cost. But it is also possible the new owner will find out about this issue, and then will request Topping to replace the faulty unit. And then, what is Topping going to do?
4. The scammers are reaping some easy short term benefits, but obviously they don't realize the risk they are assuming if something does go wrong. How would a seller claim ignorance when there are records that they received a replacement unit from Topping?

This is a mess no matter which way you look at it, so the best thing to do is take care of things. Sometimes you have to step in and try to prevent stupid people from hurting themselves, Darwin notwithstanding.

Last edited:
OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Perhaps read what your just wrote prior to hiring the SEND button. Please be respectful on the forum- referring to a member making a rational and logical case as "irrational" is not that.
Yeah, I don't see where there is anything irrational in my argument. I do get that Topping think it is too onerous a decision to request faulty units to be returned before replacement, but doing so would have distinct benefits. I guess they know better than any of us do the numbers and potential consequences entailed.

But the fact John agrees about the eBay issue (an issue they can handle with little cost) makes the balance of this thread a very positive one.

Last edited:
OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

The OP is really amazing. An example to everyone, especially to those disgusting unrighteous people.
I liked your post even though I presume you are being ironic, because at face value it is a correct statement, even though I don't subscribe to the use of the term "unrighteous". Unrighteous is such an ugly word, such a semantic turn off. It makes me think of a 12 year old pimply Amish boy staring at a bush behind a bush. IYKWIM.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for letting me know what my actual intentions were. Such an eye opener. Do you run a psychoanalisis shop somewhere in the Upper East Side?

Ooh touchy. You are definitely getting a bit aggro with your responses, not going to engage with a keyboard warrior. I think you could have sent JohnYang a personal message over your opinion on how to handle this situation than open a forum thread and start a war of attrition with your opinions. BTW most of us in ASR are not sycophants that blindly grovel and worship Topping as being the holy grail and absolute truth, but beating a dead horse all over again definitely is a waste of time for many to entertain.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Ooh touchy. You are definitely getting a bit aggro with your responses, not going to engage with a keyboard warrior. I think you could have sent JohnYang a personal message over your opinion on how to handle this situation than open a forum thread and start a war of attrition with your opinions.
Am I touchy for reacting politely to you telling me that my actual intentions were to start a flame war instead of helping customers by warning them of a scam and helping Topping by letting them know that people are selling units they asked to be destroyed?

I don't think you know what "touchy" means. Also, I have explained multiple times why it is necessary to make a public warning. Warnings' main purpose is to let people know that they should pursue or avoid some course of action that might result in some unwanted consequences.

You are right, it is probably best for you if you don't engage me. The only way you are not going to look bad, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom