• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WARNING: Many people selling their faulty Topping L30 amplifiers in eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

It was already the case. But can't completely enforce it. It's done for majority of the cases. Can't you understand?
How is it done for the majority of cases? And in which cases isn't it done, for what reason? No, I really am not following you, and I promise I am highly intelligent.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
How is it done for the majority of cases? And in which cases isn't it done, for what reason? No, I really am not following you, and I promise I am highly intelligent.
If I don't ship new unit what's the natural following thing the "scumbag" would do? Sell the damn old unit. Following now?

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’m kind of confused. Are we taking about a theoretical situation where someone buys a used Topping L30 amp without realizing it’s a defective and they then contact Topping after they’ve received it, or something else entirely?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I’m kind of confused. Are we taking about a theoretical situation where someone buys a used Topping L30 amp without realizing it’s a defective and they then contact Topping after they’ve received it, or something else entirely?
He's concerned about the buyer who buys old unit sold on ebay. Simply put.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

That matters way less. And I can even say it's not our business. You buy from second hand, the guy sells to you is responsible. Simple.
This is what you are not getting. Imagine that Toyota sells cars that they find to have a serious defect in their firmware and is causing cars not to brake, and people are getting killed. Do you think that if a bunch of people sold their Toyota cars and the new seller got hurt Toyota wouldn't still be liable for that? This is exactly one of the reasons why car recalls are enforced so strictly in the US and in other countries in the civilized world. It is not just the customers this type of process protects, but also the manufacturers.

Now, in the example above (Toyota) there is actually a central repository of information where buyers will be informed that there are pending recalls on their vehicles, so the system is very difficult to bypass. But in your case, what are you doing about it? Did you notify every single customer that got an L30 from you that had the defect that they should destroy it and get a new one? Did you handle this with your suppliers, or are you just letting sleeping dogs lie and relying on most of your customers to not know about this issue?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This is what you are not getting. Imagine that Toyota sells cars that they find to have a serious defect in their firmware and is causing cars not to brake, and people are getting killed. Do you think that if a bunch of people sold their Toyota cars and the new seller got hurt Toyota wouldn't still be liable for that? This is exactly one of the reasons why car recalls are enforced so strictly in the US and in other countries in the civilized world. It is not just the customers this type of process protects, but also the manufacturers.
This is not the same. And this is exactly why current solution is the best we can do .

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
If I don't ship new unit what's the natural following thing the "scumbag" would do? Sell the damn old unit. Following now?
That’s the cost of business I suppose. If you don’t want to send a return label to the customer then don’t. I think people like the OP will just avoid such products with known defects.
In any case, I believe the rest of the products you carry are all flawless performing. It’s a black mark this unit exists. You can’t pretend it didn’t happen though and need to provide some kind of solution. Or you don’t. I think the consumer can make an educated decision and they should just buy a new, non defective unit with the internal changes made. It’s not like it would cost much more then a used eBay unit...

PS. I like Topping products a lot. I’ve owned several units over the years and have recommended your products to my friends many many times. So don’t take me the wrong way.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So now you are diffusing your responsibility on the scumbags who are selling your faulty units to unsuspecting customers in eBay? As I said before, do you realize those people who buy the defective L30 units are still your customers? Do you realize all that this entails?

What do you think the scale of this problem is or will be? [I mean people reselling bad units] I don't know but I suspect not a big deal. I think you might be going a little overboard with your insistence that Topping do something different.

Last edited:
OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

No, that is absolutely illogical. They are already selling the old units and keeping the new ones. If you didn't send the new unit until you could verify the old unit was destroyed, then you would avoid most of these issues. Of course you can't enforce 100% that all users will destroy their L30 units. To begin with, many people that bought the L30 might be unaware of the issues.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

What do you think the scale of this problem is or will be? I don't know but I suspect not a big deal. I think you might be going a little overboard with your insistence that Topping do something different.
All I know is that some people had expensive headphones whose drivers blew up. Topping through it was a serious enough issue to send new fixed units to the customers who got a faulty unit free of charge, so I guess it is pretty serious.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

This is not the same. And this is exactly why current solution is the best we can do .
Did you issue a formal recall with your distributors so that they could at least inform everybody who got an L30 that has the faults?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
That’s the cost of business I suppose. If you don’t want to send a return label to the customer then don’t. I think people like the OP will just avoid such products with known defects.
In any case, I believe the rest of the products you carry are all flawless performing. It’s a black mark this unit exists. You can’t pretend it didn’t happen though and need to provide some kind of solution. Or you don’t. I think the consumer can make an educated decision and they should just buy a new, non defective unit with the internal changes made. It’s not like it would cost much more then a used eBay unit...

PS. I like Topping products a lot. I’ve owned several units over the years and have recommended your products to my friends many many times. So don’t take me the wrong way.
We send customers new unit. Supposedly they need to destroy the old unit before shipping the new one. And basically for free.
The main issue discussed here was the fact that I just can't win when someone already has the potential to fail. The best and only way is to take the L and improve the unit immediately. (unlike some other manufacturers in this industry)

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

We send customers new unit. Supposedly they need to destroy the old unit before shipping the new one. And basically for free.
The main issue discussed here was the fact that I just can't win when someone already has the potential to fail. The best and only way is to take the L and improve the unit immediately. (unlike some other manufacturers in this industry)
Look, I am sure you are an honest company. All I know is what I read online from different forums. I read somewhere that you had refused to refund people who had their headphones damaged by the L30, but if this is wrong then I apologize.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

John, I suggest you assign somebody in your company to keep track of the eBay listings so that this doesn't happen. eBay can actually close auctions when items like the defective L30 are being sold. In this case they can do it for more reasons than one (fraud, safety, etc).

Furthermore, you could actually sue the people who are selling the faulty units (as long as they received a new one). Even the guy selling both of them for $175 is commiting fraud.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
John, I suggest you assign somebody in your company to keep track of the eBay listings so that this doesn't happen. eBay can actually close auctions when items like the defective L30 are being sold. In this case they can do it for more reasons than one (fraud, safety, etc).
Why don't you report them?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Look, I am sure you are an honest company. All I know is what I read online from different forums. I read somewhere that you had refused to refund people who had their headphones damaged by the L30, but if this is wrong then I apologize.
Ok. The issue is I can't say I'll replace all broken headphones publicly. And in the beginning it was the policy so we don't cover the headphones. But later on we figured out that it may be some more serious than we initially thought. So I said please contact us we will treat each case individually. And one guy did and got a couple hundred bucks and he's happy. No one else has contacted me after that. Maybe a couple of them got compensation through some sellers in Europe. But that's all. I was trying my best to make customer happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom