• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is resonance common in HIFI system?

TuneInSoul

My subwoofer produces 32-130hz soundwave and it makes the speakers resonant.
I didn't realize that at first.
I touched the speakers and found it vibrated stronger when I turn the subwoofer on.
Is it common?
So The speakers makes much more low-frequency sound when the subwoofer is on.
BUT I think this is good for me,because I think it can save the energy,and the sound is not bad.
I like it anyway..

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
They may make more sound but at the expense of reproducing the music.

simplex

Maybe speakers and woofer are coupled mechanically.

simplex

... ,and the sound is not bad.
This leaves a wide open area for all kind of different interpretation. A little more information about your setup might be helpful, if you consider to have an issue waiting to be solved. And I would tend to believe that there is an issue.

OP
T

TuneInSoul

This leaves a wide open area for all kind of different interpretation. A little more information about your setup might be helpful, if you consider to have an issue waiting to be solved. And I would tend to believe that there is an issue.
My setup is a 2.2 system,I have two subwoofers,one is presonus t10,one is a chinese brand called trasam h10 and it is already sold out.The speakers are m-audio bx5 d3.The dac topping d50 connect a diy tube pre-amp and the amp is connected with presonus t10 and the t10 has a subwoofer output port and also ports for speakers,they are connected with the t10.

Last edited:
OP
T

TuneInSoul

Not only the low is enhanced,the mid is also a little bit louder.I forgot to mention.

OP
T

TuneInSoul

When Trasam h10 is on,the speakers' sound changed and the speakers vibrate harder.
I will try to change the setup this morning to see whether the presonus t10 can also affect the speakers or not .I never try it because I must turn on the t10 to make my speakers work.

simplex

How are speakers and sub placed? What kind of material, do you use some decoupling material? If not, maybe try a quick and dirty test and put 2 thick pillows between speakers and shelf or whatever they're on.

See if something changes, just to get a first idea whether to investigate this aspect further or not.

OP
T

TuneInSoul

How are speakers and sub placed? What kind of material, do you use some decoupling material? If not, maybe try a quick and dirty test and put 2 thick pillows between speakers and shelf or whatever they're on.

See if something changes, just to get a first idea whether to investigate this aspect further or not.
This is how I place my setup.
I took this pic on 2-17,now it is too late,I will try it this morning.
IMG_20210217_084620-min-2.jpg

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
This is how I place my setup.
I took this pic on 2-17,now it is too late,I will try it this morning.
With that arrangement, I am not surprised that there is interaction and it is likely that everything (including that little tube amp) on the common surface is vibrating in sympathy with the sub and speakers. You should move the sub to the floor and put some kind of vibration isolators under the speakers (which are probably affecting each other).

simplex

Ok, now I'm not really surprised you've got resonances in your speakers. And I wonder what those valves have to say about that sub in such close proximity.

Now I would start with the pillows, as mentioned before. Just a quick test, nothing permanent. At least a little change should occur.

Then, more permanent:
  • separate speakers and subs from the rest of the gear - especially the valves!
  • separate speakers from subs
  • how about: speakers at the wall, on 2 small separate shelves
  • how about: subs on the floor
This should change a lot. Furthermore you might consider decoupling speakers from the shelves and subs from the floor.

That tiled floor may be the next issue to focus after the most urgent action is done. Have you got a carpet? That might be worth a try.

Good night - hope these simplistic ideas help a bit!

OP
T

TuneInSoul

With that arrangement, I am not surprised that there is interaction and it is likely that everything (including that little tube amp) on the common surface is vibrating in sympathy with the sub and speakers. You should move the sub to the floor and put some kind of vibration isolators under the speakers (which are probably affecting each other).
My room is small,I can't put the 2 subwoofers on the floor,I have some foot pins,maybe it will work.

OP
T

TuneInSoul

Ok, now I'm not really surprised you've got resonances in your speakers. And I wonder what those valves have to say about that sub in such close proximity.

Now I would start with the pillows, as mentioned before. Just a quick test, nothing permanent. At least a little change should occur.

Then, more permanent:
  • separate speakers and subs from the rest of the gear - especially the valves!
  • separate speakers from subs
  • how about: speakers at the wall, on 2 small separate shelves
  • how about: subs on the floor
This should change a lot. Furthermore you might consider decoupling speakers from the shelves and subs from the floor.

That tiled floor may be the next issue to focus after the most urgent action is done. Have you got a carpet? That might be worth a try.

Good night - hope these simplistic ideas help a bit!
Really appreciate,morning I will put some foot pins under the speakers to see if it can help.

Zek

Major Contributor
My room is small,I can't put the 2 subwoofers on the floor
Then why are you using two subs?
What's under the first sub?
Place both subs on top of each other directly on the floor.

OP
T

TuneInSoul

Then why are you using two subs?
What's under the first sub?
Place both subs on top of each other directly on the floor.
I am just curious.Two black rectangle things are my sofa's attachments.
I am worried about the sub which under the other one may be broken if I do so.

Last edited:
OP
T

TuneInSoul

How sub be broken?:oops:
I don't know,I never try it before,the sub is heavy,I think it may be bad if I try to lay one sub on the top of the other one.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
My room is small,I can't put the 2 subwoofers on the floor,I have some foot pins,maybe it will work.
Stack them. I do not know what "foot pins" are but you need something with compliance and you should put them under the L/R speakers, too.
I don't know,I never try it before,the sub is heavy,I think it may be bad if I try to lay one sub on the top of the other one.
Unless the lower one is made of Ritz crackers, it should hold and it doesn't matter much for acoustics which one is on top.

Top Bottom