• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D50 Review (Stereo DAC)

laudio

Would I hear the difference between the D50 and D30?

More dollars chasing better numbers.

3125b

Major Contributor
With Loxjie being the sister company of SMSL I like the thing they do with their lower end products wehre they give them distinctive looks despite technical similarities.
This however is exactly the same as the SMSL M400:
SMSL M400 USB DAC XLR Balanced Audio Review.jpgLoxjie D50 Review Balanced USB DAC.jpg

That begs the question: What's the point?

Nango

Major Contributor
Far East mfr offering their (best performing) products closest to or at @RME (= european labor rights, etc.) pricing levels, ...... now that almost 100% of tested gear present SOTA performance the only thing this site is becoming good for is for them to justify hiking prices to unprecedented levels.

Last edited:

Morla

Forum Donor
Can the display switch off after given amount of time? I think the smsl.cannot.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like others have said in this forum before, with all of these transparent DACs maybe time has come to embed some more advanced features to make "more distinctive" products, like the ability to import EQ profiles in various formats.

Thumbs up for company for providing a sample. (same to the reviewer)

PS: Just to nitpick, no apt-X HD or LDAC
2021-01-20 09_33_48-LOXJIE AUDIO.jpg

2021-01-20 09_44_29-LOXJIE AUDIO.jpg
5b503ab952732-funny-fold-out-gif-art-ben-avlis-24-5b4c83003be7c__700.gif

src
No offense to Loxjie or MQA, just some random word association ;)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Far East mfr offering their (best performing) products closest to or at @RME (= european labor rights, etc.) pricing levels, ...... now that almost 100% of tested gear present SOTA performance the only thing this site is becoming good for is for them to justify hiking prices to unprecedented levels.
Given what this offers, $720.00 is not 'unprecedented'. The better question, in my mind, is to ask about support. Loxjie sells some inexpensive (less than two hundred dollar) DACs and amps. At that price how much support does anyone expect? When you start running the low side of a thousand dollars, things change. Bezos' place sells this. Below is Loxjie's warranty statement:

Post-sales Service - It's a great honor for you to notice our products, buying our product will get a one-year warranty. If you have any problems with our product, please contact our customer service to communicate, We will reply to you within 24 hours and give you a perfect solution.

Does that sound like an encouraging warranty statement to anyone? We'd all like 'a perfect solution' to warranty problems, but can we trust that it will actually be a 'happy ending' for the consumer? It would be better if they'd just come out and say they will ship you a new unit for free if you have problems. I've said it before, but I just don't get spending more than next to nothing dollars on a long distance purchase, where you have to rely on questionable support.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Jitter performance is excellent using USB which runs asynchronous (blue):

View attachment 107218

Toslink/Coax require extracting and chasing the input clock and shows clear artifacts in those sequence of pulses. Fortunately levels are at or below threshold of hearing so not an audible issue.

/
May I ask what is the source for those Jitter Tests. Is it fed by the analyser digital output advance modules for Toslink? For USB I'm not sure such module actually exist. Maybe more generally speaking, instead of answering those questions over and over and one by one, Is the test process documented somewhere on the site?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And still no trigger output to control the class D amp that has caught my eye.
I have not seen triggers on any desktop DACs. You could use an "ECO" power trip that monitors one load to turn on the others. Hopefully they are sensitive enough to pick the load of this DAC to turn on other loads.

Ajax

Forum Donor
Having reached "good enough" DAC performance (as Archimago describes it) I support the desire of others for manufactures to improve their feature set so as to create a more inclusive or "all in one" item.

My "ideal" feature set for the next generation of DACs would incorporate excellent measured performance plus:

1. preamp function with digital volume control
2. adjustable voltage output (by the manufacturer) so you can plug straight into a hypex type power amp
2. raspberry pi streamer with ethernet & wifi for Tidal and Spotify Connect (for my family)
3. modular construction allowing the addition of extra channels for 5.1 or 7.2 systems or active speakers + subs = 6 or 8 channels
4. PEQ
5. remote

The Okto 8 from the Czech Republic is the closes so far to what I would like.

Monte

I quickly glanced across the Reviews Forum and it looked like the D50 was saying that it was 79 degrees and partly sunny.

catalogguy

Forum Donor
Having reached "good enough" DAC performance (as Archimago describes it) I support the desire of others for manufactures to improve their feature set so as to create a more inclusive or "all in one" item.

My "ideal" feature set for the next generation of DACs would incorporate excellent measured performance plus:

1. preamp function with digital volume control
2. adjustable voltage output (by the manufacturer) so you can plug straight into a hypex type power amp
2. raspberry pi streamer with ethernet & wifi for Tidal and Spotify Connect (for my family)
3. modular construction allowing the addition of extra channels for 5.1 or 7.2 systems or active speakers + subs = 6 or 8 channels
4. PEQ
5. remote

The Okto 8 from the Czech Republic is the closes so far to what I would like.

And please add 12v output trigger (note that Okto is apparently only 5v)

DosThou

Given what this offers, $720.00 is not 'unprecedented'. The better question, in my mind, is to ask about support. Loxjie sells some inexpensive (less than two hundred dollar) DACs and amps. At that price how much support does anyone expect? When you start running the low side of a thousand dollars, things change. Bezos' place sells this. Below is Loxjie's warranty statement:

Post-sales Service - It's a great honor for you to notice our products, buying our product will get a one-year warranty. If you have any problems with our product, please contact our customer service to communicate, We will reply to you within 24 hours and give you a perfect solution.

Does that sound like an encouraging warranty statement to anyone? We'd all like 'a perfect solution' to warranty problems, but can we trust that it will actually be a 'happy ending' for the consumer? It would be better if they'd just come out and say they will ship you a new unit for free if you have problems. I've said it before, but I just don't get spending more than next to nothing dollars on a long distance purchase, where you have to rely on questionable support.
That's one optimistic quote for sure. Can't even get them to reply me about shipping problem I had until I hounded them on FB (ugh), granted it was a 'cheap' $150 purchase but that whole experience sure didn't give me any confidence in their whole brand, at least in term of support. Likely never getting their pricier stuff if there's no local distributor.

Top Bottom