• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D50 Review (Stereo DAC)

DosThou

If you wish for a local distributor just add >50% to the cost.
Topping has one here and is actually cheaper than international distributor. SMSL also has one (also cheaper if you factor import tax) but no Loxjie for some reason.

Do note that I'm not against international distributor, I'm just not willing to gamble on one that's given me bad experience on even the most rudimentary stuff as replying mails regarding products I paid money for already. Feel free to disagree, we're ultimately basing this stuff on our anecdotes anyway.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's one optimistic quote for sure. Can't even get them to reply me about shipping problem...
With the conversion of our economy to lockdown status, local providers going out of business, to an economy via on-line sales, this is an opportunity for manufacturers and virtual 'retailers' to step up in the customer service department.

I've had extremely good interactions with Benchmark in Syracuse NY, but not everyone is prepared to spend the kind of dollars Benchmark demands for their decidedly top tier products.

On the low end I've bought from the Full of Schiit guys, also with excellent service on the sale. For something inexpensive I'd probably go with them, as much as I cringe at their name and sometimes questionable engineering.

I've bought and returned gear from Crutchfield with no issues. They have been around a long time, so must be doing something correct.

On the other hand, my direct from Harman (dbx) transaction turned out to be something of a hassle, although after a week or two I did get things straight with them.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Benchmark DAC2 and DAC3 has them. I guess you forgot ;-)
Benchmark has a smallish form factor, but I personally wouldn't call those a 'desktop' item. But what's in a name?

catalogguy

Forum Donor
Benchmark DAC2 and DAC3 has them. I guess you forgot ;-)

The Benchmark DAC3 has an output trigger, and some but not all variants of DAC2 have it. However, those DACs based on price and performance do not compare to the Loxjie D50. Similarly, The Wyred 4 Sound DACs have the output trigger, but are not as interesting as the Loxjie when considering price and performance. Mytek Brooklyn Bridge ... exact same story. The Okto Stereo has an output trigger, but it only outputs 5v, so will not turn on the class D amp that's caught my eye.

I find the Loxjie to be ideal for my use case in other aspects.
  • Measurements ... threshold issue.
  • USB input - for Roon/Raspberry Pi
  • Optical input - TV
  • XLR output - connect to amp
  • RCA output - for subwoofer
  • Remote control of volume and input selection
  • MQA - I don't use it, but could be fun to try.
  • Price - reasonable.

But when the girl clicks power on the Logitech remote, the TV with audio needs to be at the ready. Clicking the power button on the amp is a show-stopper.

(The power strip could be an option, but uncertain and there are other compromises that come with it.)

My first haiku
Equipment Beckons
A Class D Amp's Caught My Eye
Triggerless Silence

MrHifiTunes

How do I need to read these measurements? Can somebody clarify it for me?

First picture shows THD+N for 1KHz XLR output lower then 0.0001 %
When I look at the picture THD+N vs Frequency @ 48KHz the measurements is between 0.001% and 0.0005%.
No where near the 0.0001 %.
1611854698805.png

1611854748262.png

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
How do I need to read these measurements? Can somebody clarify it for me?

First picture shows THD+N for 1KHz XLR output lower then 0.0001 %
When I look at the picture THD+N vs Frequency @ 48KHz the measurements is between 0.001% and 0.0005%.
No where near the 0.0001 %.
Dashboard is done at 20hZ-20kHz. THD+N is done at a much wider 90kHz bandwidth, what this means it that this measurement also tests the DAC for suppression of artefacts in the ultrasonic band. So any issues there will show up.
Are ultrasonics truly an audible issue, that's debatable, but especially for speakers it makes sense not to have any crap in there. @WolfX-700 does the THD+N vs Frequency test in both 20kHz and 90kHz bandwidth, which makes it even more apparent if it has ultrasonic issues or not.

MrHifiTunes

Dashboard is done at 20hZ-20kHz. THD+N is done at a much wider 90kHz bandwidth, what this means it that this measurement also tests the DAC for suppression of artefacts in the ultrasonic band. So any issues there will show up.
Are ultrasonics truly an audible issue, that's debatable, but especially for speakers it makes sense not to have any crap in there. @WolfX-700 does the THD+N vs Frequency test in both 20kHz and 90kHz bandwidth, which makes it even more apparent if it has ultrasonic issues or not.
Not very clear to me. I was expecting that in the 20hz-20kHz measurement I would see for 1Khz the same result as in the first measurement.

Veri

Master Contributor
Not very clear to me. I was expecting that in the 20hz-20kHz measurement I would see for 1Khz the same result as in the first measurement.
It says 90kHz BW though.. :) In any case, check out WolfX's M400 measurement, 20kHz BW (solid line) aligns to around ~0.0009% THD as in the first measurement dashboard. I take this one because the SMSL M400 and loxjie D50 are very similar devices. Dotted line shape is near identical to the red line in the image you linked above.

index.php

MrHifiTunes

It says 90kHz BW though.. :) In any case, check out WolfX's M400 measurement, 20kHz BW (solid line) aligns to around ~0.0009% THD as in the first measurement dashboard. I take this one because the SMSL M400 and loxjie D50 are very similar devices. Dotted line shape is near identical to the red line in the image you linked above.

index.php
Thanks for the effort to tryto explain things. I guess Im reading the graphs incorrect.
Still I don't think I fully understand things so I try to explain how I read those measurements.
In the first measurement (1kHz signal) I interpret it as follows.
A inputsignal of 1kHz is injected into the DAC. Then a sweep from 20 to 20kHz checks the noise-level and makes an average.
The second graph use a input signal of 90kHz (or 20kHz) and plots the nosie-level.
I Don't know if this is thecorrect interpretation or not.

Then still the question for me pops up. Which one is correct? Why use 90kHz? Why don't test with 10,15 or 20kHz?
I still have a big learning curve, but never to late to learn things :).

gvl

Major Contributor
Why is output of dac important? The amp inputs are relatively pretty high; so it seems like no problem at all.

The latest iteration of Topping headphone amps and preamps have fairly low input impedance, so this rule is not universal.

Artaois

So this is if like green more than blue and don't like tempered glass tops.

simplywyn

I have the loxjie and topping d90 - let me know if you guys want a comparison.

naish

Yes please!

I already own a D50 and love the sound but still doubting if there is better.

Last edited:

Chewing Al

I have the loxjie and topping d90 - let me know if you guys want a comparison.
Hi, I'm interested in the Loxjie d50. How does it fair against the topping d90. I can get the loxjie for 570 euros. Looking forward to hear from you. Kr, Alex

simplywyn

Hi, I'm interested in the Loxjie d50. How does it fair against the topping d90. I can get the loxjie for 570 euros. Looking forward to hear from you. Kr, Alex

I have both here are the major differences:

Overall differences

Topping D90 - lacks detail but sounds far more full and natural, the mids feel a bit withdrawn but sounds feel like you are in the music. Bass feels integrated. Overlal feels like you're listening to music than a dac (disappears into the system)
Loxjie D50 - super detailed, sounds are more forward, a bit too analytical and feels bit false, but sounds better (tickles my ear). Bass feels separated and clear.

In terms of overall quality, I tried loxjie, even the denafrips, and ended up going back to the D90.

Denafrips I now use for my main listening as it does things a bit differently.

Top Bottom