• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL SA750 Integrated Amplifier for US $3000.00

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
The JBL 'blue' baffles were much nicer IMO. But the 4311/L100 series had the painted black. When I refurbed mine (now in a box in a closet--LOL) I went with the blue. No accounting for taste as they say!

View attachment 105574
i don't like the combination of white, black and blue in this one xD, but a full color box is better than that black on the front, to my eyes that black in the front remember me some plastic speakers xD

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
More of a metallic cat barf brown, I'd opine.

What you see is a CAT scan -- a standard diagnostic tool in our household for many, many years (although no longer, sadly).

DSCN6215 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
Did your cat have anything to do with that foam surround mess? Mine would, if he could......:oops:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Did your cat have anything to do with that foam surround mess? Mine would, if he could......:oops:
No, he was pretty good around hifi things. That HPM-1100 woofer's surround was just the victim of age.
For a free pair of HPM-1100s, I was happy to refoam them with the proper surrounds. ;)

HPM1100 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The black and white kitteh, on the other hand (name of Zappa) did cause some damage to hifi componentry over his long life -- bless his little kitteh-heart. :oops:

Here was one of the first, which I happened to photo-document.

ZappadamagedMR.jpg

DSC_7921 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

... but I digress...

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The JBL 'blue' baffles were much nicer IMO. But the 4311/L100 series had the painted black. When I refurbed mine (now in a box in a closet--LOL) I went with the blue. No accounting for taste as they say!

View attachment 105574

Very nice ... may I ask what paint you used? The exact shade of "JBL blue" is an endless subject of debate on forums.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Initial thoughts:

- balance knob needs to be deleted

Why? In stereo (and in my room, which has the ceiling going 9 ft to 14 ft high on the short side (and the back is completely different), I use it as a tuning tool. If you don't need it, no one requires that it be used. But why take the option away?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Very nice ... may I ask what paint you used? The exact shade of "JBL blue" is an endless subject of debate on forums.
The name of the Altec paint is also debated - for the record, its African Green. I found a Rust-Oleum Teal paint which matched it very closely, but for some reason its no longer made. :(

You can always get any paint seller to color match to a photo of the blue that JBL used. People who mix automotive paints could undoubtedly do that too (if you don't mind a blue pearl or blue metalflake.....) :oops:

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The name of the Altec paint is also debated - for the record, its African Green. I found a Rust-Oleum Teal paint which matched it very closely, but for some reason its no longer made. :(

You can always get any paint seller to color match to a photo of the blue that JBL used. People who mix automotive paints could undoubtedly do that too (if you don't mind a blue pearl or blue metalflake.....) :oops:

A collaboration between an Automotive body man, a digitizing photographer and a Vintage audio restoration tech (perhaps only 2 people with overlapping skill sets) created a perfect example of my NAD 2200 faceplate that had issues, fixed it, paint matched it and the lettering and remade it exactly to the original photograph. The first one was a bit steep in price, the following 2 where cheap (all done at the same time). Peter Williams (QuirkAudio.com) provided this service and now it is in his system and can be replicated for other NAD 2200's that are sent to him. Also, if someone wants to do it with other kit, it can be done. The first person to have one done (for something that has not been done before) will always be taking a hit (for the first one). But all subsequent ones will be reasonably priced.

TimF

Forum Donor
The word/name Desoto comes to mind. It had upscale attributes. What's in a name. There are long histories of names and corporations. How about the names Cimarron and Catera. Try to find a list of the worst auto tires of all time. That is pretty hard to find out...the information is squelched and buried. How about the worst audio equipment of all time?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The word/name Desoto comes to mind. It had upscale attributes. What's in a name. There are long histories of names and corporations. How about the names Cimarron and Catera. Try to find a list of the worst auto tires of all time. That is pretty hard to find out...the information is squelched and buried. How about the worst audio equipment of all time?
Sound Design is a name which sticks in my mind for some of the worst 'HiFi', but I'm sure there are others. These were cheap components meant to lure in people who didn't know better - familiar story, huh. :oops:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whew! I finally found the Holger Barske photo(s) I actually sought...

Now... you wanna talk about WAF (or SAF or SOAF, as the case may be)...

ff19g_06 by Holger Barske, on Flickr

ff19g_04 by Holger Barske, on Flickr

oh, yeah.

Nightmare. Look at the first, head-on photo. What are those twin things above the tweeter (?) horns? They look like manic cartoon eyes staring at me. I couldn't relax in there.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Nightmare. Look at the first, head-on photo. What are those twin things above the tweeter (?) horns? They look like manic cartoon eyes staring at me. I couldn't relax in there.

I think so.
I might or might not relax, depending on how smooth those horns all sound. Based on the electronics I see, I might be a little on edge, as well.

ff19g_02 by Holger Barske, on Flickr

I think those are big, ol' Hitachi ss power amps :oops:

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/hitachi/hma-7500.shtml

1610502144667.png

Top Bottom