• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL SA750 Integrated Amplifier for US $3000.00

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Uh, yeah......I wouldn't associate them with the words 'warm and friendly'. I'd love to hear them but I'm not exactly saddened that I never will. :rolleyes:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
For me, nightmare loudspeakers look like this, looming... looming... they're coming... for me. aiyeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

1610505937244.png

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Koloth

First one all: Could someone kindly merge this thread with https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lass-g-roon-ready-phono-and-real-knobs.19185/ ?

Secondly, has anyone encountered one of these devices in the wild or come across a review of one? All I see are the same renders and news-blurbs, even though numerous online retailers now claim to have stock. I wonder why there seems to be so little interest? Its a good looking device, Dirac is all the rage atm, and it significantly undercuts the NAD M33 in terms of pricing for this kind of functional package.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
when will JBL build ARCOS into their amplifiers?

RoA

Subjectively, it's ugly.

Objectively, it's very ugly.

Reactions: TSB

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Subjectively, it's ugly.

That's a matter of taste. It's likely aimed at our demographic, for 80's kids that dislike using our phones for everything because we can't see little print.

It's updated gubbins with an interface for those of us that lose the manual on the first day...

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Subjectively, it's ugly.

This is, in effect, a reboxed Arcam SA30, isn't it? Subjectively I think I prefer the JBL aesthetic to this series of Arcam. Don't like the silver highlights on the SA30.

Objectively, the only measurements of the equivalent Arcam SA30 seem pretty good, apart from the early clipping on the pre-outs.

nOerkH

This is, in effect, a reboxed Arcam SA30, isn't it? Subjectively I think I prefer the JBL aesthetic to this series of Arcam. Don't like the silver highlights on the SA30.

Objectively, the only measurements of the equivalent Arcam SA30 seem pretty good, apart from the early clipping on the pre-outs.

Anyone already got up and did the measurements?

I got the Arcam SA30 here at the Moment, and the sound immediately evolved after changing from my miniDSP SHD & Advanced Acoustics X-A220 Monos.

There are 2 things that make me step away from the Arcam SA30 (which will also apply to the JBL SA750 I'm afraid) - the Amp is damn slow. This applies to startup as well as to reacting to remote control signals - turning down the Volume takes ages as you can only send one command after each other, and you need to wait half a second after pushing the button on the remote again ... thats so annoying.

Besides that it is only capable of running 2.1 - I'm looking to run a 2.2 setup. Which would put me in the situation of getting another minidsp 2x4 hd or similar

nerdstrike

There are 2 things that make me step away from the Arcam SA30 (which will also apply to the JBL SA750 I'm afraid) - the Amp is damn slow. This applies to startup as well as to reacting to remote control signals - turning down the Volume takes ages as you can only send one command after each other, and you need to wait half a second after pushing the button on the remote again ... thats so annoying.
Agreed, the start-up is heinous. I think at some point I should experiment with turning off clever bits and unused inputs to see if that hastens it along. I'm pretty sure it does a full scan of inputs before the amp relay clicks and it's finally ready, and the network module is undoubtedly wasting a lot of time.

I don't think my remote is quite that bad, but a continuous press response would have been nice.

This is, in effect, a reboxed Arcam SA30, isn't it?
The capabilities and specs are seemingly identical, and the LCD display is identical. Lots of common modules used here, although the layout is quite different. It's a taller chassis. Either way you could expect identical DAC performance, and the amp part will only be perform similarly.

Last edited:

dougi

Agreed, the start-up is heinous. I think at some point I should experiment with turning off clever bits and unused inputs to see if that hastens it along. I'm pretty sure it does a full scan of inputs before the amp relay clicks and it's finally ready, and the network module is undoubtedly wasting a lot of time.

I don't think my remote is quite that bad, but a continuous press response would have been nice.

The capabilities and specs are seemingly identical, and the LCD display is identical. Lots of common modules used here, although the layout is quite different. It's a taller chassis. Either way you could expect identical DAC performance, and the amp part will only be perform similarly.
Yeah and, at least in Oz, the JBL costs you A$1000 more (A$4999) than the Arcam (A$3995). What is the retail for both in the US?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a matter of taste. It's likely aimed at our demographic, for 80's kids that dislike using our phones for everything because we can't see little print.

It's updated gubbins with an interface for those of us that lose the manual on the first day...
There was a manual?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
800W maximum power consumption :oops:
Do you know ANYONE who runs any audio gear at maximum volume all the time? (And even if they did, I don't care), as long as I don't have to hear it doing that & that they are paying their bills. It's their (AFTER TAX) money, they made it & they can spend it however they want.
Or are you jealous that someone can afford to buy this & run it wide open?

nerdstrike

Yeah and, at least in Oz, the JBL costs you A$1000 more (A$4999) than the Arcam (A$3995). What is the retail for both in the US?
£750 premium in the uk. Nice veneer on the side though... And those machined knobs. Could be worth it if it boots faster than the 31 seconds I measured yesterday.

I turned off some inputs, made no odds. I'll try resetting the network module next and make sure it's not hunting wifi signals.

dougi

£750 premium in the uk. Nice veneer on the side though... And those machined knobs. Could be worth it if it boots faster than the 31 seconds I measured yesterday.

I turned off some inputs, made no odds. I'll try resetting the network module next and make sure it's not hunting wifi signals.
Let us know how you go with the boot time tests. I have been considering one or the other to simplify the 2 channel part of my system. 30 odd seconds boot would kill it though.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, vintage JBL ...

I recall how I wanted a pair of JBL Lancer 77's very many years ago -- I couldn't afford L100's at the time. I though the latter were great 'till I heard a side-by-side comparison with AR3a's that blew them away for detail and naturalness.

matsui33jp-img1000x525-1593231112vhxayd30518.jpg%26dc=1%26sr.fs=20000

The big JBLs of the early '70 were impressive, though, for size and loudness. I remember the seeing & hearing massive L300 Summits at a hi-fi show in Toronto.

iILjTXyY3ONtKrR7DcB5Q4WHTX-rshXZzkX0OXRGVtxPRz1nG4AUz174XEa1CbJDMnRLTzLT3Jjk25ifxnjSk1AMDcnpT8K2ZJla0Xn5QqtyYh6Y21Wn5PbvN4xqOoNYTogJiZiECx_72YN5CnQC

Last edited:
Top Bottom