• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL SA750 Integrated Amplifier for US $3000.00

nOerkH

Its been a while now and I've made my way to a listening session in vienna.

We had the Arcam SA 30 and the JBL Synthesis SA 750 in for direct comparison. We were mainly listening with Vienna Acoustic's Beethoven Baby Grand Reference.

for the first moment it really felt like the Arcam and the JBL were twins. But as everything settled, we all focused on the music it developed a clear picture - even though they seem to be an internal copy of each other - they definitely are not sound wise ..

the Arcam tending a bit too much to the warm side, having a very laid back presentation, with some details missing in the heights. The JBL did not have that overwhelming attack, but listening closer bass was more refined, stage presentation definitely won on the JBL and details were much clearer.

So I'm going for the JBL.

We also had the LYNGDORF TDAI 3400 hooked up to the speakers later on which was a bit of a disappointment. Without having the direct comparison I would probably also have liked the Lyngdorf, but in direct comparison the JBL was my favorite. There definitely was more bass energy present with the Lyngdorf (which also resulted in the acoustics of the room being a little overloaded with bass energy, giving us a bit boomy bass) heights were clear and crisp, but we were missing some liveliness and naturality - it sounded a bit too clear for our taste.

Redwine

Its been a while now and I've made my way to a listening session in vienna.

We had the Arcam SA 30 and the JBL Synthesis SA 750 in for direct comparison. We were mainly listening with Vienna Acoustic's Beethoven Baby Grand Reference.

for the first moment it really felt like the Arcam and the JBL were twins. But as everything settled, we all focused on the music it developed a clear picture - even though they seem to be an internal copy of each other - they definitely are not sound wise ..

the Arcam tending a bit too much to the warm side, having a very laid back presentation, with some details missing in the heights. The JBL did not have that overwhelming attack, but listening closer bass was more refined, stage presentation definitely won on the JBL and details were much clearer.

So I'm going for the JBL.

We also had the LYNGDORF TDAI 3400 hooked up to the speakers later on which was a bit of a disappointment. Without having the direct comparison I would probably also have liked the Lyngdorf, but in direct comparison the JBL was my favorite. There definitely was more bass energy present with the Lyngdorf (which also resulted in the acoustics of the room being a little overloaded with bass energy, giving us a bit boomy bass) heights were clear and crisp, but we were missing some liveliness and naturality - it sounded a bit too clear for our taste.
Are you still with the JBL?

TimF

Forum Donor
Regarding the older JBL SA600. What tiny feet. The feet are too small and silly even. They aren't feet proper, they are hardly paws, less than kitten paws. Regarding the looks of the newer model JBL SA750, to me it looks like a machine that could be used to clean watch parts found in the workspace of a jeweler.

Last edited:

CHenry

Regarding the older JBL SA600. What tiny feet. The feet are too small and silly even. They aren't feet proper, they are hardly paws, less than kitten paws. Regarding the looks of the newer model JBL SA750, to me it looks like a machine that could be used to clean watch parts found in the workspace of a jeweler.
Well. some ultrasonic cleaners might look like that, minus the teak panels, and with a removable top, and less switchgear. Can't say for the 600 feet, looks as if the pasteup artist trimmed them off. Poor thing. As for the 750, the feet might be there but well beneath that overhang, maybe in tune with that mid-century silverface aesthetic, sort of like cars of the era.

Top Bottom