• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GUSTARD H16 Balanced Headphone Amplifier

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You're right...
Let's start another topic about the a30Pro :)
thanks a lot for your answers

dmac6419

Major Contributor
If I'm not wrong I was quoting the distortion spec. It's disappointing to see that. The X16 is very good in many way. It's at 2nd place in the chart rn(or for now;)). In any case it's progressing and becomes much better.
But if you search for H10 and H20 measured here you'd see the performance was actually better. And at this moment we and SMSL(geshelli too) are competing at much higher than 120dB range. It definitely feels weird. In short, I was expecting a better amplifier just like X16 as a DAC. The old A50 that we tried to put in the darkest corner was still as good if not better even using cheaper components, cleaner and more compact design except for max power output. I would feel much better for them if they made a improved version of H10. It's a difficult feeling to explain. Like it's great to have competition to get me going. I feel weird and twisted when seeing this.
Though I'm not knocking on this as I would still say it's audibly transparent for majority of headphones and have shit load of power and the price is decent. Don't feel bad if you want to purchase one or you have. It should be still very good. It even got the relay volume control.
Yet, for now I think our competitor's SMSL SH-9 and our new coming A30pro are better.
I7 hasnt measured the H16 as far as I know

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Just from the manufacturer's spec alone...
It should be here today,I don't do measurement but I'll let you know how it sounds P.S, I always buy sets ,waiting for the x16 to clear

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It should be here today,I don't do measurement but I'll let you know how it sounds
Like I said. It will sound great. Transparent with shit load of power and no channel imbalance.
But as a designer, I know that they could do better. The key is the contrast from the X16.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
It's heavier than my AVR almost,feels like a cinderblock it's that heavy,RCA on JBL 305 no hiss,stay tuned

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
So how does it sound? Can you turn it on/off via the front panel and remote?
Sounds good depending on your source,no you can not turn it on off with the remote, switch in the back.Roon kind of tamed the sound,Tidal desktop wide open

Dave O.

Sounds good depending on your source,no you can not turn it on off with the remote, switch in the back.Roon kind of tamed the sound,Tidal desktop wide open
Thanks. Very strange that they would include a remote without on/off capability. I asked Shenzhenaudio.com and they said that the remote did turn it off and on but I wasn't convinced. Unfortunately, I won't have room to reach around the back. Regarding the sound, maybe the unit is transparent to the source. I'm not familiar but perhaps you can change settings on Roon?

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Thanks. Very strange that they would include a remote without on/off capability. I asked Shenzhenaudio.com and they said that the remote did turn it off and on but I wasn't convinced. Unfortunately, I won't have room to reach around the back. Regarding the sound, maybe the unit is transparent to the source. I'm not familiar but perhaps you can change settings on Roon?
It'll mute it but it doesn't turn it off,I have all my stuff on a smart power strip,I leave nothing running except the computer and tv

snatex

It'll mute it but it doesn't turn it off,I have all my stuff on a smart power strip,I leave nothing running except the computer and tv

I can't get the remote to do anything with the H16. It works fine with the A18 DAC. I got identical remotes with each. Neither seems to do anything with the H16. Have you had any luck with it?

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I can't get the remote to do anything with the H16. It works fine with the A18 DAC. I got identical remotes with each. Neither seems to do anything with the H16. Have you had any luck with it?
press and hold the amp button it should work for you

passenger10000

Wish every company made a graph like this to show power vs imp

CleanShot 2020-12-04 at 16.28.29@2x.png

Top Bottom