• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GUSTARD H16 Balanced Headphone Amplifier

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Are you not the sour competition to Gustard? Lurking in this thread to see what you can object...
Well the opposite. I was hoping something more competitive after seeing X16 which is quite good. The H16 is struggling....

pompecukor

yeah right, you were hoping haha.
So I am a 100% right. You are just here with sour grapes to object.
Go spend your time with something more useful, like make a new dac/amp combo balanced, with parametric EQ, MQA and Crossfeed option. Then you get my money.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Go spend your time with something more useful, like make a new dac/amp combo balanced, with parametric EQ, MQA and Crossfeed option. Then you get my money.
How did you know what I was doing?;) Oh like everyone else has been saying the same things for nearly year. Right.
Oh I am working on 10 products at the moment. What do I know?:D

pompecukor

How did you know what I was doing?;) Oh like everyone else has been saying the same things for nearly year. Right.
Oh I am working on 10 products at the moment. What do I know?:D

The only question is "when"? Can we hope for anything this year?
If you want a good direction suggestion from a plain old nobody like me. Try to replicate the Features of the RME ADT 2 FS dac. Have you seen the manual of that thing? Really. Just missing MQA.
With your ultra high end specs and such a feature mix, you would have the best killer product on the market.
Please consider this, no matter how good the A90/D90 is (raving reviews). People like me would never buy one. Why you ask. Simple. I like to add some extra bass for example (Eq). Or Crossfeed on some track that tried to over do the speaker thing and doesn't sound so good on headphones.
Finally there is tidal, love it or hate it (I hate mqa, but I use it).
Please consider the above. The purist won't loose anything. EQ can be turned off. It is just and option, but it is so great when on can compensate for some of the imperfections of a headphones signature.
Even just a bass and treble adjustment option can go such a long way.

Do it. blow our minds please

Dave O.

I like the fact that Gustard combined the HP amp with full remote controlled pre. Saves room, cost and cables. I was hoping Pre90 would do this but evidently not enough room to do both. Hope the H16 will deliver on sound. Does anybody know how many steps on the volume?

Veri

Master Contributor
Well I'm curious to see ShenZhenaudio's H16 unit be tested be Amir. I'm guessing crazy amounts of power but not SOTA distortion.

Dave O.

Another question: can the hp amp turned off when using as a pre for speaker system?

Googolbyte

Forum Donor

Don't be a dick. The only reason I haven't gotten topping stuff is because they're priced a wee bit higher than I like. At this point, with all these "instrument grade" dacs/amps around, I just want a two piece matching set that looks nice on my desk that won't rape my wallet.

pompecukor

Don't be a dick. The only reason I haven't gotten topping stuff is because they're priced a wee bit higher than I like. At this point, with all these "instrument grade" dacs/amps around, I just want a two piece matching set that looks nice on my desk that won't rape my wallet.
Are you retarded? I was taking to someone else. What do I care who's stuff you have gotten and what rapes your wallet. I don't know you.
My message was to Topping guy, not you and if you did not realize, we had a conversation after that.

Googolbyte

Forum Donor
Are you retarded? I was taking to someone else. What do I care who's stuff you have gotten and what rapes your wallet. I don't know you.
My message was to Topping guy, not you and if you did not realize, we had a conversation after that.

I'm getting to know you now aren't I? You're a dick, end of. :)

Googolbyte

Forum Donor
That's what I figured, which is why I was mildly triggered by this guy, I apologize.

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

As far as I am concerned, I would be looking for a nice headphone amp with a lot of power.
Not that I need to drive a really difficult headphone (I now listen to the Oppo PM-1 almost all the time and occasionally the B&O H9 MkIII).
The Gustard seems to be nice.
Any drawbacks to choose this ?

JohnYang1997, can you be a little more explicit about your comment when you said "Right" when seing the output power ?
I am seriously asking... If according to you there is a flaw in that thing, I'd be glad if you can share your thoughts as the amount asked for this isn't particularly trivial.

Regards.

pompecukor

Hi,

Regards.

I think the only 2 certain drawbacks now are: (a) availability and (b) not reviewed yet by Amir.
On paper is looks awesome. But on paper a lot of them do.

I am more interested in what JohnYang (Topping), meant when he said that he is working on a few thing right now. If any of those are still a possiblity for this year ;)

Veri

Master Contributor
Why would you want a device with top notch analogue performance (digital to analog + amplification) to transmit lossy, compressed digital data over BT, bypassing all the excellence?

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Sorry, deleted my post just when you posted yours :-(

That is pretty simple :
- Sometimes I am in a location of the room/flat where I can listen wired to my headphones.
- And sometimes, I am in another location of the room/flat, where cable is awkward.

Maybe I am the only one having this concern, by I am not egocentric enough to consider myself that exceptional :)

But I can also just add a nice headphone amplifier to the setting. That will also do :)
So far I have a decent DAC with BT emission.
I am listening to it through a small Nobsound Little Bear.
And that sound already pretty nice.
But the Little Bear works on battery and cannot be used while charging.
So too complicated to use :-(

But a nice and powerful and with good specs headphone amp is the missing part for now...

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi,

As far as I am concerned, I would be looking for a nice headphone amp with a lot of power.
Not that I need to drive a really difficult headphone (I now listen to the Oppo PM-1 almost all the time and occasionally the B&O H9 MkIII).

JohnYang1997, can you be a little more explicit about your comment when you said "Right" when seing the output power ?
I am seriously asking... If according to you there is a flaw in that thing, I'd be glad if you can share your thoughts as the amount asked for this isn't particularly trivial.

Regards.
If I'm not wrong I was quoting the distortion spec. It's disappointing to see that. The X16 is very good in many way. It's at 2nd place in the chart rn(or for now;)). In any case it's progressing and becomes much better.
But if you search for H10 and H20 measured here you'd see the performance was actually better. And at this moment we and SMSL(geshelli too) are competing at much higher than 120dB range. It definitely feels weird. In short, I was expecting a better amplifier just like X16 as a DAC. The old A50 that we tried to put in the darkest corner was still as good if not better even using cheaper components, cleaner and more compact design except for max power output. I would feel much better for them if they made a improved version of H10. It's a difficult feeling to explain. Like it's great to have competition to get me going. I feel weird and twisted when seeing this.
Though I'm not knocking on this as I would still say it's audibly transparent for majority of headphones and have shit load of power and the price is decent. Don't feel bad if you want to purchase one or you have. It should be still very good. It even got the relay volume control.
Yet, for now I think our competitor's SMSL SH-9 and our new coming A30pro are better.

PenguinMusic

Hi JohnYang 1997,

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer.

OK, so the output power is a lot but the -118dB distorsion is the limiting factor.
Any chance you'd say a little more about the A30Pro that is coming ?
Something that would make us wait for it ?

Regards.

Top Bottom