• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
In any case, I'd trust the specs and common sense more than the table here. The 8341A has the same amplifier power as the 8351B with smaller woofers and midrange (approx. -31% going by driver dimensions, possibly more in terms of Sd). A 2 dB difference between the two is entirely reasonable if construction is similar otherwise.

Granted, bass/mid crossover is quite a bit higher in the 8341A (500 Hz vs. 320 Hz) so the midrange driver could no doubt improve efficiency with a higher fs if need be. I see much less room for this in the bass department though.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I'd be curious to hear @Ilkka Rissanen's input about 8341A vs. 8351B because if you're going by Genelec's posted specs, there's not a huge amount of difference between the two: 6-8 Hz low frequency extension, 3 dB SPL output. One of the stated differences between the 2nd and 3rd gen models should be lower distortion, but the distortion specs listed are the same for both models (50-100 Hz ≤2 %, > 100 Hz ≤0.5 %).

samysound

I'd be curious to hear @Ilkka Rissanen's input about 8341A vs. 8351B because if you're going by Genelec's posted specs, there's not a huge amount of difference between the two: 6-8 Hz low frequency extension, 3 dB SPL output. One of the stated differences between the 2nd and 3rd gen models should be lower distortion, but the distortion specs listed are the same for both models (50-100 Hz ≤2 %, > 100 Hz ≤0.5 %).
In particular, would be great to hear @Ilkka Rissanen input on this with and without highpass to dual subs

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the simulation uses different measurements.

reply from Genelec support: "The specifications in the manuals are correct and should be followed. There seems to be an error in the correct setup guide, thanks for the observation! I will ask the document provider to do the necessary corrections!"

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
reply from Genelec support: "The specifications in the manuals are correct and should be followed. There seems to be an error in the correct setup guide, thanks for the observation! I will ask the document provider to do the necessary corrections!"
Excellent news :cool:

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So is the 8351B worth the extra $$$ vs 8341A or not ?

I don't think it is worth it unless you need the additional output. But you may find that neither is enough compared to a horn speaker.

If you're not using a sub, then definitely skip both and go with 8361A. Or save up and get Kii Three which will be even better.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I don't think it is worth it unless you need the additional output. But you may find that neither is enough compared to a horn speaker.

If you're not using a sub, then definitely skip both and go with 8361A. Or save up and get Kii Three which will be even better.
Thanks, I'm actually not getting a sub in the near future ( because of the $$$)
I am worried about the lack of bass especially at this price, so i guess the 8361A is my only option.
Unfortunately the Kii Three is too expensive for me

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
What about the D&D 8C? The studio version is cheaper than the 8361. Several people have compared the 8C directly to the Kii, and preferred the 8C.

Can you get it in Israel?
Unfortunately nothing is available here locally except Genelec , and to import them yourself is a real pain.
If the Kii Three and 8C were available on Thomann than it would be easier.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Two opinions from another forum i got regarding 8C vs 8361:
. I bought both the 8351s and the 8Cs (and also the Meyer Acherons, Amphion Two18s and ATC 45s). Everything went back except the Dutch & Dutch. I’m very particular about my speakers and the 8Cs are a winner. They are super detailed, super musical, super non-fatiguing and give you everything you need.
The Genelecs are great as well but they are a different kind of speaker. They are a good surgery tool. Very clinical under a microscope. But I wouldn’t call them musical or even enjoyable. The Dutch can be surgical enough but are way less fatiguing and are much more inspiring when tracking/producing/mixing."

"
Both speakers deliver the best sound for money ive ever heard. They actually (to my ears) sound very alike. Transparent with a tweeter that never becoms to harsh .
Genelec 8361A has a slighly better soundstage due to the coaxial design. The midrange on the 8361A is also just a bit better , more open , clearer.
Both speakers are really good, but you need to integrate them to the room via DSP . They become twice as good then. It´s day and night in difference ."

o7_brother

The Genelecs are great as well but they are a different kind of speaker. They are a good surgery tool. Very clinical under a microscope. But I wouldn’t call them musical or even enjoyable. The Dutch can be surgical enough but are way less fatiguing and are much more inspiring when tracking/producing/mixing.

I wonder if this user set up the GLM curve correctly. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't be "musical or enjoyable" with the correct response.

Also you could get 8351B plus subwoofers for the MSRP of the 8c.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I wonder if this user set up the GLM curve correctly. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't be "musical or enjoyable" with the correct response.

Also you could get 8351B plus subwoofers for the MSRP of the 8c.
A lot of people(even in the pro audio world) consider Genelecs analytical and not musical at all, it's a combination of a very detailed and clear sound with excellent instrument separation and very tight bass.
The Sennheiser HD800 are criticized for the same reasons but i like that type of sound and that's why i bought them.

o7_brother

The Sennheiser HD800 are criticized for the same reasons but i like that type of sound and that's why i bought them.

The HD800 is not comparable to the Genelecs. The speakers have a "flat" frequency response, whereas the HD800 is not flat or accurate by any academically-accepted definition. I would know because I used to own an HD800, and it was not comparable to flat speakers at all. Uneven midrange and horrible treble spike, as can be seen in any FR measurement.

If one considers the Genelecs too "analytical", why not just reduce the high frequencies in GLM?

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How does the 8341A compare to the 8351A (original version) if a sub is being used for both? Can anyone comment?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All graphs/data

Hey @MZKM, I've noticed that for some speakers you place a link to "all graphs/data", which then takes me to an extremely useful set of graphs and figures :)

Is there a link somewhere to say a master index of all these "all graphs/data" pages? It would be nice to be able to access these at will rather than having to search through each thread to find links in your posts (if any).

Top Bottom