• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal vs Qobuz experience

jae

Major Contributor
From my trials, Qobuz is the better choice IMO. Amazon HD may be one to look out for if they get better app integration/api

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Warner is adding more MQA offerings to Tidal, but they are clearly removing non-MQA offerings, as demonstrated by the links showing actual Tidal users who are losing Redbook albums from their libraries. Given there are a limited number of services that actually offer proper hi-res streaming in any form, using market statistics is, of course misleading. Most people listen to lossy Spotify and Apple Music.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only picture presented as evidence in That thread is a picture of the Roon path of one track showing a normal FLAC file being decoded and rendered in 16/44.1. So still not seeing evidence of what you are talking about.

GDK

Forum Donor
The only picture presented as evidence in That thread is a picture of the Roon path of one track showing a normal FLAC file being decoded and rendered in 16/44.1. So still not seeing evidence of what you are talking about.

I mean, the very first post mentions the deletion of Redbook files, I can see it in my own collection, but I didn‘t expect people to give any credence to that. Honest question - do you use TIdal? It is pretty easy to check for yourself.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do use Tidal. How do I replicate your test with my own library?

GDK

Forum Donor
I do use Tidal. How do I replicate your test with my own library?

If you use Roon it’s easy, look at what you have in your library that has been added via Tidal and then try to find a Redbook album of that. For certain albums they will no longer be available. For example, there is no longer a non-MQA version available of Aretha Frankin’s I Never Loved a Man... (released on Atlantic, now owned by Warner).

Just to be clear, I cannot tell a difference between most MQA and non-MQA files (and I have an MQA-capable DAC). If there is a difference, it is likely down to different masters being used. However, I do think it is concerning that non-MQA versions of albums are being removed from Tidal. Although Qobuz is not available in Canada, I regretfully think I will need to set up a VPN to access it as I am not comfortable with this development.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't use Roon so I can't see what you see. I can see that the particular album is only listed as master quality in the tidal app. When I change my listening quality setting in the Tidal app to HiFi it switches to "hifi" on the app. Not sure either piece of info really means anything in this case.

I use Bubbleupnp to play my tidal library on various endpoints around my house including my phone. When I play that song I see it is available as Master but the playback is 16/44.1 FLAC. This tells me a FLAC file is being sent and not an MQA file. Bubbleupnp does not have an MQA renderer so it must be sent a FLAC file. So they must have a FLAC 16/44.1 on their servers.

GDK

Forum Donor
I don't use Roon so I can't see what you see. I can see that the particular album is only listed as master quality in the tidal app. When I change my listening quality setting in the Tidal app to HiFi it switches to "hifi" on the app. Not sure either piece of info really means anything in this case.

I use Bubbleupnp to play my tidal library on various endpoints around my house including my phone. When I play that song I see it is available as Master but the playback is 16/44.1 FLAC. This tells me a FLAC file is being sent and not an MQA file. Bubbleupnp does not have an MQA renderer so it must be sent a FLAC file. So they must have a FLAC 16/44.1 on their servers.
MQA is still delivered in a FLAC container, so I am not sure your analysis helps, unfortunately.

To be clear, I have nothing against MQA per se. You will find no anti-MQA comment from me on any of the threads here (or elsewhere). However, I put zero trust in the record companies and I think what Warner is doing is very sketchy.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MQA is still delivered in a FLAC container, so I am not sure your analysis helps, unfortunately.

To be clear, I have nothing against MQA per se. You will find no anti-MQA comment from me on any of the threads here (or elsewhere). However, I put zero trust in the record companies and I think what Warner is doing is very sketchy.

I don't think thats how MQA works. MQA is a container that is delivered and opened by the device. And bubble upnp nor my Denon can open a MQA container or render it.

Regarding Warner, I'm still not sure what you are concerned they are trying to do and what the motivation would be.

GDK

Forum Donor
I don't think thats how MQA works. MQA is a container that is delivered and opened by the device. And bubble upnp nor my Denon can open a MQA container or render it.

Regarding Warner, I'm still not sure what you are concerned they are trying to do and what the motivation would be.
MQA is delivered in a FLAC container. There is no such thing as an MQA container.

Regarding Warner, one week ago I could happily download a lossless FLAC album of my choosing on Tidal - now I can’t. I am not sure why I am the one that needs to explain this change. Why is Warner no longer allowing me to do this?

samsa

don't think thats how MQA works. MQA is a container that is delivered and opened by the device. And bubble upnp nor my Denon can open a MQA container or render it.

1. As @GDK says, MQA is not a container format. It is pure PCM, with "additional" data encoded in the least-significant bits.
  2. As such neither bubbleupnp nor your Denon will even notice when MQA in a FLAC container comes down the wire. To them, it all looks like FLAC-compressed PCM data.

mSpot

one week ago I could happily download a lossless FLAC album of my choosing on Tidal - now I can’t.
The new 44.1 or 48 FLAC download is still lossless if played back with no unfolding. If it is unfolded to 96 or 192, then it will be lossy when compared to the original hi-res master.

samsa

The new 44.1 or 48 FLAC download is still lossless if played back with no unfolding. It will be lossy only if it is unfolded to 96 or 192, then it will be lossy when compared to the original hi-res master.

That's a deceptive statement.

The noise floor is raised because the 8 LSBs have been replaced by the MQA data. In the best case scenario, 24-bit MQA behaves like undithered 16bit PCM.

Taddpole

Tidal only push the music that you play at you like all the other streaming services,play with qobuz and see if they don't push music that they think you like,it's all in the algorithm friend

Like Chrispy this is not my experience.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
When I trialled Tidal it was constantly pushing Jayz' stuff and similar pop music, which is not what it could glean from what I did select to play....or its algorithm is really screwed up! :)
Well I'm sorry that been your experience mine has been different, Tidal is more than JayZ stuff. It recommends music that I listens too,just like Amazon HD and Spotify and Pandora,schitt even Jriver and Roon picked up on my listening habits when I first open Tidal it's going to have recently played next it's going to have mixes for you and then it's going to have Radio stations for you than it's going to have new hifi tracks for you than it's going to have new hifi albums for you all based on the stuff that you listen to.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys,
I've been A-B comparing some music material from Qobuz Studio Premier and Tidal HiFi and both sound clearly different.
No upsampling, no MQA - just pure FLAC from the same CD's.
I wonder if anyone has tried comparing both through Roon and what your experiences are?

it’s a common belief that Tidal masters are better than Qobuz masters on average. No body knows why.

Will Tidal really remove all their FLAC files for MQA? That kinda sucks.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
MQA is delivered in a FLAC container. There is no such thing as an MQA container.

Regarding Warner, one week ago I could happily download a lossless FLAC album of my choosing on Tidal - now I can’t. I am not sure why I am the one that needs to explain this change. Why is Warner no longer allowing me to do this?
Maybe because it's a streaming service, Warner sells music on their site in any format you want physical or digital

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
  1. As @GDK says, MQA is not a container format. It is pure PCM, with "additional" data encoded in the least-significant bits.
  2. As such neither bubbleupnp nor your Denon will even notice when MQA in a FLAC container comes down the wire. To them, it all looks like FLAC-compressed PCM data.

I’m using mconnect to stream to a DLNA renderer. It can definitely tell when it’s FLAC or FLAC with MQA header. It depends on your player.

i really recommend mconnect on iOS for streaming.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
It might be a common belief but I'd need to see some evidence, e.g. double blind testing, specific info about the masters that are used by Tidal and Qobuz.
You might have to take that up with the records companies

Top Bottom