• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal vs Qobuz experience

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh? Where did you see that? I only saw an announcement for 29 titles in Japan only. And premium priced to boot. Nothing about mass migration to regular CD.

I thought he meant the cd-level files the various streaming services rent from the labels were being converted en masse by MQA software?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It seems that Warner is the spearhead for converting all music to MQA.
Warner, Universal, and Sony are all shareholders in MQA.
It is standard practice for major labels to ask for warrants in start-ups. And for said start-ups to offer the same. Problem is, the business groups could care less most of the time and do not adopt the technology from these start-ups unless it helps their business. I know of countless start ups that offered such options to record labels and film studios, only to go out of business due to lack of adoption by said content owners.

So don't read too much into this.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I thought he meant the cd-level files the various streaming services rent from the labels were being converted en masse by MQA software?
He is very clearly saying "CD."

KeenObserver

The 44.1 files on Tidal from Warner will be MQA encoded.
The initial story was on Forbes 11/12/2020. I'll track down further confirmation.
People are already reporting that their files are coming up as MQA.

KeenObserver

It is standard practice for major labels to ask for warrants in start-ups. And for said start-ups to offer the same. Problem is, the business groups could care less most of the time and do not adopt the technology from these start-ups unless it helps their business. I know of countless start ups that offered such options to record labels and film studios, only to go out of business due to lack of adoption by said content owners.

So we don't have to worry about not having access to non MQA music in the future?

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I preferred the quboz app, the selection of music, that it didn't push music you don't like at you constantly, and marginally the sound, but I didn't level them so that's invalid. I don't use Roon.

Despite this I kept tidal so far as it's much cheaper for me.
Tidal only push the music that you play at you like all the other streaming services,play with qobuz and see if they don't push music that they think you like,it's all in the algorithm friend

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidal only push the music that you play at you like all the other streaming services,play with qobuz and see if they don't push music that they think you like,it's all in the algorithm friend

When I trialled Tidal it was constantly pushing Jayz' stuff and similar pop music, which is not what it could glean from what I did select to play....or its algorithm is really screwed up! :)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So we don't have to worry about not having access to non MQA music in the future?

content providers want to expand their reach and monetize their content as much as possible. Breaking backward compatibility and preventing paying customers from listening to their music is not in their interest so they won't do it. Much like you can buy CDs and records that work fine on your '81 CD player and Grandma's RCA or download an MP3 that works just fine on our early 2000's mp3 player.

KeenObserver

content providers want to expand their reach and monetize their content as much as possible. Breaking backward compatibility and preventing paying customers from listening to their music is not in their interest so they won't do it. Much like you can buy CDs and records that work fine on your '81 CD player and Grandma's RCA or download an MP3 that works just fine on our early 2000's mp3 player.

The world is going to streaming and the studios are going to only supplying MQA to the Streamers. Warner is only supplying MQA to Tidal.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The world is going to streaming and the studios are going to only supplying MQA to the Streamers. Warner is only supplying MQA to Tidal.

Why do you say that?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

As long as they keep supplying non-MQA to the others that works....for now.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He is very clearly saying "CD."

He then clarified in any case. The various monikers different resolution/bit rates get can get confusing when the marketing people get at 'em.....

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

These are not warrants. The record labels own around (IIRC) 25% of the voting shares of MQA Inc., with a private equity firm owning the rest. Bob no longer has voting shares in the company he created. Tidal is removing Redbook files and replacing them with MQA. It is all over the Roon forum (not that most people care).

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please provide some data to back up your statements. Else it sounds like conspiracy theories.

GDK

Forum Donor

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidal is removing Redbook files and replacing them with MQA. It is all over the Roon forum (not that most people care).

This statement. What information do you have that this is happening or the content providers want this to happen.

GDK

Forum Donor

mSpot

Where is Warner's announcement that they would supply only MQA to Tidal? The press releases from Tidal and MQA did not say this.

Even if it were true, how did you extrapolate that to include all labels and streaming services? Tidal doesn't release subscriber numbers but is estimated to have about 1% of the streaming market share.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read the press release. It says there are more mqa offerings coming to Tidal. Not that someone is taking anything away. The other link is a post of another person saying they did something but didn't provide specifics or evidence. And Tidal is not in the top three streaming services so I am still not following the conspiracy to force a file format onto the world of music listening.

Top Bottom