• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

Veri

Master Contributor
Details on the accompanying SH-9 amp: https://shenzhenaudio.com/collections/all/products/smsl-sh-9-aaa-technology-rca-xlr-input-6-35mm-balanced-headphone-jack-headphone-amplifier
7inHyPs.png

• Very similar to SP200, same THX-888 and relatively same specs, 2-position gain, SE/BAL in/out
  • 256-level relay volume control

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company

Toku

Major Contributor
That there are 256 steps from min to max I guess. But I am not from smsl
There are 9 relays in the picture of the PC board, but maybe 8 are for 8-bit (256 steps) attenuators and 1 is for muting.
However, when the DX3 Pro was released, there were many complaints that the relay operation noise was noisy, and the product was changed after that. The SH-9 may cause the same problem.

The measurement data on the product page shows the numerical value well by setting the input voltage as high as 5.126V instead of 4.00V. To me, such a technique only seems to be snake oil.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The measurement data on the product page shows the numerical value well by setting the input voltage as high as 5.126V instead of 4.00V. To me, such a technique only seems to be snake oil.

They mentioned "clicking free" design. If true, it means no noise.

They are Omron G6K-2F-Y:
https://omronfs.omron.com/en_US/ecb/products/pdf/en-g6k.pdf

About voltage typical is 5V.

They are able to do 58 contacts (a single one) in around 1.5ms.

About the 5.126Vrms/5.128Vrms (SH-9), we will only know once someone here can measure the new "puppy".

Edit: Hmm... amirm mentioned 5.3V at full volume (for the SU-9).

Attachments

• click.jpg
    click.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 11.png
    11.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
"High precision and low noise 256 level relay volume control" means just that.

Btw, too bad there is no output for speakers.

More infos:
https://apos.audio/blogs/news/smsl-sh-9-thx-aaa-888-balanced-headphone-amp-coming-soon-to-apos
Thank you for your help, but I can read, no need to add bold characters.
Smsl just doesn't need my help for their marketing, fanboys do it well enough.

But since you insist on the subject, my opinion is that 256 levels is just a peeing contest that is detrimental to user experience. Same as 5V output when everybody does 4V.

misterdog

Same as 5V output when everybody does 4V.

The Benchmark's maximum output level at 1kHz was a very high 18.3V from the balanced output jacks with the output level set to "0." Using the internal jumpers to insert the 10dB pad, which is how JCA used the DAC3, reduced the maximum level by exactly 10dB, to 5.8V. The 20dB pad reduced the level by 19.7dB.

4 Volt output from XLR is an accepted norm not a requirement.

Many Professional DACs have higher output, and the extra headroom proves useful.

Some prefer to see it as cheating though.

Output voltage give me more volume. When engaging convolution filter there is often a severe volume decrease. If I play a classical recording with a DR score of 21, I frequently run out of volume on the very quiet sections of a track. When I have a DAC with an output voltage of 6 or 7, then I'm pretty good. But, it seems like DACs are still stuck in the old days of thinking they are only to convert D to A and output to a preamp.

On 12/18/2019 at 11:45 AM, mansr said:
As others have said, the proper input voltage to the amp depends on its gain and the sensitivity of the speakers. If you don't think it's loud enough even with the volume turned up to 11, increasing the voltage to the amp might be a solution. Of course, that will only help if the amp can handle it without clipping or some other evil. If not, you need a bigger amp.​

Some preamps have far more output voltage than DACs. I believe my preamp has 19 volts out and mentioned earlier was one with 40. Seems like DACs should be closer to these higher voltages if they are meant to drive amps.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57946-dac-output-voltage/

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
Details on the accompanying SH-9 amp: https://shenzhenaudio.com/collections/all/products/smsl-sh-9-aaa-technology-rca-xlr-input-6-35mm-balanced-headphone-jack-headphone-amp
  • Very similar to SP200, same THX-888 and relatively same specs, 2-position gain, SE/BAL in/out
  • 256-level relay volume control

First time I've seen a straight up amp with a digital screen for... controls? (seeing as how there isn't a gain switch).

Volume control scheme is something I've hoped more mainstream analogue amps would use, tired of so many pots going to shit and scratchy all the time.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
4 Volt output from XLR is an accepted norm not a requirement.

Many Professional DACs have higher output, and the extra headroom proves useful.

Some prefer to see it as cheating though.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57946-dac-output-voltage/
I never said it was cheating, I said it was detrimental to user experience.
Yes, pro gear has much higher output levels. But pro amplifiers also have much higher input levels. It's the pro world.
Smsl gear is for home usage. Everybody use 4V levels for XLR and 2V for RCA. The effect of a 5V output instead of 4V is that the volume control is 1/5th less accurate when wired to 99% of the amplifiers. Second effect is 1.5 dB better sinad at full volume. Which one of these two effects will be noticed by the user?

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Astonishing, top-tier performance out of a box that costs less than half a grand. Could you imagine?

The Chi-Fi folks are mopping the floor with those "exotic" manufacturers.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
It's superior to RCA in a couple different ways.

Top Bottom