• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If you are feeling election anxiety today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Trump Jnr. may be being groomed.
Not likely. From what I have gathered, he holds his sons in more contempt than his opponents do! If he is grooming anybody, it will be his daughter. His sons are just useful idiots to him.

Universal Cereal Bus

Zero disagreement there.

But the high likelihood that there will be a significant number of people from the US even on this forum that would not find it surprising and possibly surprised/unhappy he didn't get more is a dynamic that would be very difficult (if not impossible) for people from outside the US to understand. I don't mean that in any negative way.
Agree with this insight. IMO, people outside the US, and by extension international media, generally overrate their knowledge of American people and American sentiments. This is a function of the massively oversized influence of American pop culture in the rest of the world. Most people outside the US grow up on a steady diet of American movies, TV, and music. This breeds an unbalanced familiarity with only a portion of American society and culture. That portion exports a pop culture that leans left and gives the rest of the world a skewed impression of the average American, who is actually much more conservative, religious, rural, etc.

No wonder the rest of the world is so confused by Trump's popularity. He's like a Disney caricature and Disney has conditioned everyone to think that's unpopular. In essence, the US is basically catfishing the rest of the world.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
How many presidents who have lost an election have come back to win another?

Nixon is one.

Lost to Kennedy in 1960

Won in 1968 against Hubert Humphrey - Democrat (and the George Wallace/Curtis LeMay - Independent ticket)

---

If you mean they were President, then lost re-election, then won again, I have to look it up, there was at least one, I believe.

Grover Cleveland did that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grover_Cleveland

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Wombat

Master Contributor
Only one comeback third-termer plus a fourth. Roosevelt declared third time winner in the 1940 election. Inauguration, January 20 1941. Ending with his death April 12, 1945.

Then came the 22nd Amendment; early 1950s, prohibiting a president being elected more than twice.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

bobbooo

Major Contributor
By the way, if anyone hasn't already, make sure to track your absentee ballot to check it's definitely been accepted and not rejected for some reason e.g. an invalid signature. Here are the tracking links for each state:

https://www.vote.org/ballot-tracker-tools/

If it has been rejected you can quickly and easily correct your ballot online here (no matter who you voted for):

https://ballotcure.com/

The deadline for this correction is as early as 5pm Friday 11/6 in some states like Georgia (which is still neck-and-neck). Better safe than sorry!

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Time to dig out my copy of One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest for some comparative reality. :facepalm:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, you guys drive on the wrong side of the road and have a Queen, too...
There is a list of people eligible to vote in the voting station you have been allocated. If you aren't on the list you don't get a voting slip.
There is a postal voting system too but I have always voted in person so I don't know how it works.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I saw the President's 'we have been frauded' speech. At the end of it he promptly retired from the podium. The camera caught the slow exit of a slump-shouldered man. Such a burden.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That wiki was a intresting read. Uk not looking competent (I'm English and not suprised we look like a banana democracy).
Switzerland's way is a bit crazy but I love it :D
The problem with Wikipedia is that anybody can change the entry, meaning with contentious issues what you read depends on when you read it and the beliefs of the last person to edit it.
I stopped taking it as a worthwhile source of fact when I read an entry about myself which was so wildly wrong it was funny, and my career wasn't particularly contentious.

Wombat

Master Contributor
The problem with Wikipedia is that anybody can change the entry, meaning with contentious issues what you read depends on when you read it and the beliefs of the last person to edit it.
I stopped taking it as a worthwhile source of fact when I read an entry about myself which was so wildly wrong it was funny, and my career wasn't particularly contentious.

All sources need to be fact checked.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen a few fun quizzes done between famous people and a super fan of the famous person, where they are asked questions about things they said in the past, the fans always know much more than the person that was there. Have you considered you might be an unreliable witness ;).

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
True, I am amazed that a fact check on Trumps claims about voting fraud showed every statement to have no evidence to back it up and some to be outright lies.
I suppose since populism is very much about believing stuff you like, whether true or not, and rejecting facts if they don't fit your belief system is exactly like the hifi enthusiasts who believe cables etc sound different and reject, some more, some less angrily, facts.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen a few fun quizzes done between famous people and a super fan of the famous person, where they are asked questions about things they said in the past, the fans always know much more than the person that was there. Have you considered you might be an unreliable witness ;).
Not in this case, no :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

1604667983634.png

https://xkcd.com/250/

;)

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Phorize

Major Contributor