• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If you are feeling election anxiety today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Universal Cereal Bus

Consolidate with the majority
giphy.gif

OP
raistlin65

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree on waiting for results. The news has a job to whip up something sensational. But all the voting has been done, and everyone has to wait upon the final tabulation. The rest is just annoying people for nothing. Despite all sorts of outlandish ( imo ) ideas about what might happen afterwards the vote is done, there will be some wrangling over recounts and close results. In the next few weeks rules will be followed and we'll have confirmation of who is president for the next 4 years. The system will work and isn't broken.

No doubt. After around midnight or so EST on election night, the new information flow slows down until it eventually reaches an abysmal crawl. Following it closely from then on is like watching grass grow. lol

Vasr

Major Contributor
I haven't seen what Oz polys have said so can't comment
I was referring to at least one of your MPs tweeting conspiracy theories about fraud in US elections. You can google it or I can DM. Didn't want to make it overtly political here. That is tangential.

Granted that some people in Oz consider this dude somewhere between a court jester and a village idiot providing entertainment given his past antics but that doesn't seem to be an universal opinion even in Oz.

My point was just be thankful that your country hasn't YET allowed your Kabuki players to take it to the level of absurdity as in the US. US is just good at doing things first and loudly for the better or for the worse in all things.

Its interesting what appears to be profoundly different attitudes there are towards polys in the UK and Oz compared to the US, ie profound cynicism and distrust. You would never get people going to rallys etc here.

UK? UK? In John McEnroe's most strident tone: You can't be serious!!!!!
You mean the failed state that has not just bemused but has had the world rolling in laughter for more than a year now. Demonstrating how to play one-man Russian Roulette with equally zombied out, self-owning crowds? That UK?

You need to get out of your audio lab once in a while to notice who else lives in the real world. :)

I could say a lot but political discussions only get messy, so I wont ;) but the events are quite fascinating.

The goal here wasn't to make this a political debate and I agree that this is fascinating and many here are amused too by the theater in the US. There is no dearth of amusement in watching politics anywhere in the world.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I was referring to at least one of your MPs tweeting conspiracy theories about fraud in US elections. You can google it or I can DM. Didn't want to make it overtly political here. That is tangential.

Granted that some people in Oz consider this dude somewhere between a court jester and a village idiot providing entertainment given his past antics but that doesn't seem to be an universal opinion even in Oz.

My point was just be thankful that your country hasn't YET allowed your Kabuki players to take it to the level of absurdity as in the US. US is just good at doing things first and loudly for the better or for the worse in all things.

UK? UK? In John McEnroe's most strident tone: You can't be serious!!!!!
You mean the failed state that has not just bemused but has had the world rolling in laughter for more than a year now. Demonstrating how to play one-man Russian Roulette with equally zombied out, self-owning crowds? That UK?

You need to get out of your audio lab once in a while to notice who else lives in the real world. :)

The goal here wasn't to make this a political debate and I agree that this is fascinating and many here are amused too by the theater in the US. There is no dearth of amusement in watching politics anywhere in the world.
No one is taking those comments seriously. There is no (significant) fraud, its just Trump doing his usual of making a lot of noise.

As I alluded to earlier, I think there are fundamentally different attitudes towards polys here and in the UK which make it an unlikely scenario.

Failed state? Zombied out? Russian roulette?

What on earth are you talking about?

No, I think the goal was to be provocative. ;)

If you are referring to Brexit, scenario was:

. UK populous democratically votes to leave EU.
. Contingent of MPs don't like this outcome and frustrate the governments attempts to implement at every turn, aided by the lack of a large majority in Parliament for the incumbent.
. The UK people remind these MPs of their place and show contempt for this behaviour when the election comes.
. Now with a large majority in Parliament the government get on with it.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
This is my final answer:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've become curious about Voter ID...

Other countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_Identification_laws

Expansion of US laws:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_Identification_laws_in_the_United_States

View attachment 91708

View attachment 91709

I only see two "no ID required" states in the Red.
In the UK we do not need to show ID. Our elections are concluded within a few hours of the polls' closing and I do not recall any need for the intervention of the courts.

No system is perfect but I suspect that you will have to look further than voter ID for the source of the imperfections.

Putter

Forum Donor
I've become curious about Voter ID...

Other countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_Identification_laws

Expansion of US laws:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_Identification_laws_in_the_United_States

View attachment 91708

View attachment 91709

I only see two "no ID required" states in the Red.

Something is wrong with the first map and I don't understand the 2nd one. Is it saying 'Red' states typically require ID while 'Blue States' don't.

Here's some info from the NYS laws concerning Voter ID

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/ELN/8-302
Section 8-302Voting; verification of registration
Election (ELN)
1. At all elections held pursuant to the provisions of this chapter two inspectors representing different political parties shall act together at all times in supervising the use of the registration records and in verifying the rights of persons to vote on the basis of such records.

2. The voter shall give the voter's name and the voter's residence address to the inspectors. An inspector shall then loudly and distinctly announce the name and residence of the voter.

2-a. (a) If a voter's name appears in the ledger or computer generated registration list with a notation indicating that the voter's identity was not yet verified as required by the federal Help America Vote Act, the inspector shall require that the voter produce one of the following types of identification before permitting the voter to cast his or her vote on the voting machine:

(i) a driver's license or department of motor vehicles non-driver photo ID card or other current and valid photo identification;

(ii) a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document that shows the name and address of the voter.

(b) If the voter produces an identification document listed in paragraph (a) of this subdivision, the inspector shall indicate so in the ledger or computer generated registration list, the voter will be deemed verified as required by the federal Help America Vote Act and the voter shall be permitted to cast his or her vote on the voting machine.

(c) If the voter does not produce an identification document listed in paragraph (a) of this subdivision, the voter shall only be entitled to vote by affidavit ballot unless a court order provides otherwise.

3. (a) If an applicant is challenged, the board, without delay, shall either enter his name in the second section of the challenge report together with the other entries required to be made in such section opposite the applicant's name or make an entry next to the voter's name in the computer generated registration list or in the place provided in the computer generated registration list.

Based on reading this and personal experience, some form of ID is required and the implication is that there are Federal Statutes mandating some form of ID although not necessarily a photo ID.

I'm primarily reacting to the implication that some states including mine will let anyone off the street vote without any form of certification.

P.S. Not all media are giving Arizona to Biden, the NY Times for example has not called it.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
In the UK we do not need to show ID.

Well, you guys drive on the wrong side of the road and have a Queen, too...

Vini darko

Major Contributor
That wiki was a intresting read. Uk not looking competent (I'm English and not suprised we look like a banana democracy).
Switzerland's way is a bit crazy but I love it :D

Taddpole

The weirdest thing for me is not how long it takes to count the vote but how long you keep the new President waiting after the results to get in the White House. Months. Must be unique.

Vasr

Major Contributor
No one is taking those comments seriously. There is no fraud, its just Trump doing his usual of making a lot of noise.

As I alluded to earlier, I think therexare fundamentally different attitudes towards polys here and in the UK which make it an unlikely scenario.
For an Australian MP to be promoting this "noise" on US elections is uncouth. Just pointing out you have your own set of clowns but they haven't been able to reach sufficient power. Be thankful for it. If you think you are immune to it because the citizenry is different, you are delusional. It started the same way here in the US. :)

Failed state? Zombied out? Russian roulette?

What on earth are you talking about?
Heard of a thing called Brexit in the UK and the same cultish performance art surrounding it? Are you aware that the whole world has been laughing at the Brits for this shoot-yourself-in-the-foot performance art? The only thing missing is the face paint.

No, I think the goal was to be provocative. ;)
Provocative to whom? You? That doesn't take much nor is it worth it. ;)

Was responding to your delusions of being somehow immune to all of this outside the US and laughing at the US. I guess you were just being provocative.:)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Something is wrong with the first map and I don't understand the 2nd one. Is it say 'red' states typcally require ID while Blue States don't.

Fist map summarizes state by state ID requirement

Second map notes which way (Democrat - Blue, Republican - Red) the current vote for each state leans in the Presidential race for the current election.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
For an Australian MP to be promoting this "noise" on US elections is uncouth. Just pointing out you have your own set of clowns but they haven't been able to reach sufficient power. Be thankful for it. If you think you are immune to it because the citizenry is different, you are delusional. It started the same way here in the US. :)

Heard of a thing called Brexit in the UK and the same cultish performance art surrounding it? Are you aware that the whole world has been laughing at the Brits for this shoot-yourself-in-the-foot performance art? The only thing missing is the face paint.

Provocative to whom? You? That doesn't take much nor is it worth it. ;)

Was responding to your delusions of being somehow immune to all of this outside the US and laughing at the US. I guess you were just being provocative.:)
Yes it is uncouth and totally inappropriate, which most MPs here have pointed out when the press try to get them to comment.

See my comments above.

Delusional?

Yep I was clearly right. Not going to bite.

I never said anyone was laughing at the US BTW. I said people were bemused.

If you listen to a range of international commentary there is genuine surprise that Trump has fielded so much of the vote. There is no surprise at the things he is saying and noise he making. Its just true to form.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The lines here on election day were quite long. Everyone seemed very friendly, though, despite the polarizing nature of the WWE.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Binged a season of Hell's Kitchen that I missed. Got to hear plenty of "It's raw you f**king donkey", vicarious venting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom