• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem to introduce new models!

SynthesisCinema

Few leaked pictures taken from another forum. Official announcement should be coming soon! In the specs you will see HDMI 2.0b, but if you look closely to left there is mention of 8K (2.1). Another intresting point is the DAC choice AK4458VN which D&M uses also in most products apart from flagships. Just considering the higher price of Anthem products it´s a bit of suprise maybe, although we need to remember that the implementation is as important if not even more.

d928deae6f7dc95469b5601d2d7fcdbf.jpg

948c3d44caa73f73f3daec5afcb33338.jpg

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Few leaked pictures taken from another forum. Official announcement should be coming soon! In the specs you will see HDMI 2.0b, but if you look closely to left there is mention of 8K (2.1). Another intresting point is the DAC choice AK4458VN which D&M uses also in most products apart from flagships. Just considering the higher price of Anthem products it´s a bit of suprise maybe, although we need to remember that the implementation is as important if not even more.

d928deae6f7dc95469b5601d2d7fcdbf.jpg

948c3d44caa73f73f3daec5afcb33338.jpg

Anthem has been using that same DAC as Denon/Marantz for quite some time, so that's not new. Implementation is overrated, for AVR/AVP, implementation is not that different, usually just paired with a volume control chip that typically have a little lower specs than the AK4458 anyway.

OP
S

SynthesisCinema

Anthem has been using that same DAC as Denon/Marantz for quite some time, so that's not new. Implementation is overrated, for AVR/AVP, implementation is not that different, usually just paired with a volume control chip that typically have a little lower specs than the AK4458 anyway.

My bad then. 1120 did fairly good here, lot better than 520 so perhaps we get the MRX740 next year for @amirm ! ARC Genesis, 15.2 processing, DTS:X Pro and two independent subwoofer outputs. Perhaps Peng will consider one of these in future! ;)

ririt

It is a fresh news! I had a quick look on their website and Anthem still advertises the old models

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My bad then. 1120 did fairly good here, lot better than 520 so perhaps we get the MRX740 next year for @amirm ! ARC Genesis, 15.2 processing, DTS:X Pro and two independent subwoofer outputs. Perhaps Peng will consider one of these in future! ;)

Yes the 1120 is good, just overpriced in my opinion, even in Canada. If you want to use it with external amp for the front 3 channels that normally has the highest demand, then you need to consider the fact that the 1120's surround/height channel amps are rated 60 W, not 140 W. It may not be an issue for most people, just have to be aware.

Vasr

Major Contributor
No replacement for the AVM60?

From a design trend perspective, I am glad they are finally going all away from the symmetric center display with two circles on either side paradigm (even when they didn't need two circular knobs). That latter paradigm will be as passe as a mullet haircut going forward.

Only issue is the right hand side is a bit too Arcam.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am glad that they are using a large display.
It is not the ugly Yamaha cyclope choice.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Any knowledge as to an update for the AVM 60? Have been wanting to upgrade...but didn’t want to purchase at the tail end of the lifecycle. Not that I want to rush into any potential early adopter woes either...; )
Also...anyone know if ARC Genesis will set phase in the upcoming models as it does in its two channel integrated?

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
According to their countdown timer, sometime this Friday the new product(s) should be announced. I'm hoping for a new version of the AVM60, perhaps an "STR version". Come on Chris, a hint or two would be awesome :)

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Using the same marketing strategy as Nikon did for the update 6 and 7 Z series mirrorless...the countdown timer. I’m looking forward to the reveal, but it’s kind of got the whole “second coming” thing implied.
Anthem...I’m a fan, but the whole life changing imagery was kind of silly with Nikon, and no different here. Not exactly waiting with baited breath....

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Using the same marketing strategy as Nikon did for the update 6 and 7 Z series mirrorless...the countdown timer. I’m looking forward to the reveal, but it’s kind of got the whole “second coming” thing implied.
Anthem...I’m a fan, but the whole life changing imagery was kind of silly with Nikon, and no different here. Not exactly waiting with baited breath....
Indeed, I remember the Nikon thing. I think I have some bated breath. Never knew where the latter expression came from so looked it up:

In the phrase "bated breath" bated is a shortened form of "abated, that is, held back, restrained. In this case, it is not a conscious action, but the unconscious energy of anticipation stopping, or nearly stopping, the breath.

The earliest recorded usage is Shakespeare, who brought more words and phrases into the written English language than any other author. Here's the first cite in the Oxford English Dictionary: "1596 Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice i. iii. 125 'With bated breath, and whispring humblenesse.'"

How cool is whispring?

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Indeed, I remember the Nikon thing. I think I have some bated breath. Never knew where the latter expression came from so looked it up:

In the phrase "bated breath" bated is a shortened form of "abated, that is, held back, restrained. In this case, it is not a conscious action, but the unconscious energy of anticipation stopping, or nearly stopping, the breath.

The earliest recorded usage is Shakespeare, who brought more words and phrases into the written English language than any other author. Here's the first cite in the Oxford English Dictionary: "1596 Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice i. iii. 125 'With bated breath, and whispring humblenesse.'"

How cool is whispring?

That was awesome! Thanks! All I could think of for meaning was “fish breath” and how the heck did that make any sense...baited VS. bated. Shall no longer make that mistake. Nice job with Shakespeare Bombadil....and not surprisingly true with the origin of many terms. A fascinating study in its own right. “Whispring” is very cool, despite spellcheck’s insistence otherwise.

Yeah, honestly, I’m slightly “bated breath” as well. Problem is, I’d want Amir to get his hands on one first...tear down et al.

How ‘bout it Anthem? I’m sure Amir could squeeze you in! ;)

D

Deleted member 19195

It looks like they ditched DTS Play Fi in favour of chromecast.

cbrents73

Audio Company
According to their countdown timer, sometime this Friday the new product(s) should be announced. I'm hoping for a new version of the AVM60, perhaps an "STR version". Come on Chris, a hint or two would be awesome :)

Would love to give one, but I can't (don't want to get in trouble) - besides, it's only two more days...

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Would love to give one, but I can't (don't want to get in trouble) - besides, it's only two more days...

I understand. How about letting us know when the new stuff can be ordered? Friday as well?

temps

I'm half excited, half leery.

Amplifier performance in the MRX series has collapsed since the original models. I'm pretty sure the 530 & 730 are going to have terrible amp performance - the 1130 might be fine because its the only one that kept the toroidal power supply.

At one time these were the go to receivers if you wanted a super high quality, room calibration-capable receiver with decent conversion and great amplification (by AVR standards). The MRX-500 and 510 sat in a really nice niche, the pricing was higher than mass market AVRs but a bargain by high end standards, the feature set was great, ARC is fantastic and the amp was good enough to not need to go separates in most cases. It was especially great for guys like myself that don't care about Atmos or any more than basic 5.1 surround. That ended with the 520, which is terrible, and I don't think the 530 is going to be any better because now they added two extra channels - so I'm anticipating the same absolutely horrific performance of the 520, with even fewer watts per channel.

The AVR market is honestly so annoying. I hope Anthem steps it up and the new models are better than the 20s but I'm not holding my breath.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand. How about letting us know when the new stuff can be ordered? Friday as well?

This slip I found using Google leads me to believe they will be orderable:
goof.jpg

The link goes to a blank page but the preview shows the price and stock level.

Martin

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Exactly. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, the Nikon Z series is here! Wait, Sony has had a superior mirrorless system out for 2 years already? Doh. Wondering if Anthem's new releases will appear, only to measure as well as the Denons.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Exactly. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, the Nikon Z series is here! Wait, Sony has had a superior mirrorless system out for 2 years already? Doh. Wondering if Anthem's new releases will appear, only to measure as well as the Denons.

We have Chris Sipes from Anthem participating in this forum (thank you and welcome Chris). I'm sure he will relay our request to have these new units tested by Amir.

Top Bottom