• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Headphone Amplifier Review

seanca

Is written in the specs as input sensitivity

Depending on which gain your on
L - 9.5 Vrms
M - 8.8 Vrms
H - 2.9 Vrms

Ok, thanks! Newbie here so didn’t know the terminology. What would happen if the input into the A90 went above those numbers? Would it damage it?

Reactions: Ddd

Ddd

Ok, thanks! Newbie here so didn’t know the terminology. What would happen if the input into the A90 went above those numbers? Would it damage it?
Haha nope won't damage it. The results will be clipped or distorted sound at the listener end haha.

seanca

Haha nope won't damage it. The results will be clipped or distorted sound at the listener end haha.
I thought “clipping” could damage gear? Or am I thinking of headphones? (or am I just wrong again haha)

Ddd

I thought “clipping” could damage gear? Or am I thinking of headphones? (or am I just wrong again haha)
Haha from my experience the clipping are produce from the amplifier. The headphone, not so much. But it can goes either way. Either the headphone distort first, or the amplifier clips first. The headphone just present it to you. Haha. But whether long term clipping an amplifier will damage it or not, I can't guarantee. Depends on the amplifier design I guess? Headphone, as long as it can still withstand the power of the amplifier output, it should be fine, it will just present to you the sound of clip or distortion.

shfter

Hey guys maybe someone can help me. Past week or two i have noticed something very strange which i can't let go off i find many many songs the vocals are not in the center but are to the right a little bit which i find very annoying. I know the A90 is good at separation but would this be a reason why lots of songs / videos sound bad? Can so many songs be mastered so badly?

Example this gaming video :

i feel the right side is louder, and it feels like more stuff is going on in the right ear.

Another example:

The entire beats/music sounds like it's coming right side and not the center.

Does my A90 have a channel imbalance or are these videos just bad?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hey guys maybe someone can help me. Past week or two i have noticed something very strange which i can't let go off i find many many songs the vocals are not in the center but are to the right a little bit which i find very annoying. I know the A90 is good at separation but would this be a reason why lots of songs / videos sound bad? Can so many songs be mastered so badly?

i feel the right side is louder, and it feels like more stuff is going on in the right ear.

Another example:

Check source, use single sine tone for checking.(remember to reduce volume before playing the tone) Check the imbalance is the same across frequency or varying.
https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Check your headphones, swap left right cable if it's dual side swappable. Change to a different headphone.

Remove the headphones and check the output voltage with voltmeter/multimeter. Also try different volume positions.

It's possible that the volume pot has imbalance at low volume. But it will be extremely unlikely at higher volume. If the issue is chasing down to the amp itself and it's unacceptable, as the seller for replacement.

shfter

Check source, use single sine tone for checking.(remember to reduce volume before playing the tone) Check the imbalance is the same across frequency or varying.
https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Check your headphones, swap left right cable if it's dual side swappable. Change to a different headphone.

Remove the headphones and check the output voltage with voltmeter/multimeter. Also try different volume positions.

It's possible that the volume pot has imbalance at low volume. But it will be extremely unlikely at higher volume. If the issue is chasing down to the amp itself and it's unacceptable, as the seller for replacement.
I tried the website, it seemed fine, maybe my right is more effected but that's probably because past 2 hours I've been trying different songs / videos to test it, and see if the A90 needs to be replaced.
I tried many other headphones, same issue though... always vocals are not in the center and are at about 1:00. The video i posted "Laura Branigan - Self Control" it really sounds like vocals are coming from the right side of my ear. Then when i take off the right side and move the headphone, i can still hear the vocals on left side - put both sides back on my ears and again it sounds like vocals coming from the right side...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I tried the website, it seemed fine, maybe my right is more effected but that's probably because past 2 hours I've been trying different songs / videos to test it, and see if the A90 needs to be replaced.
I tried many other headphones, same issue though... always vocals are not in the center and are at about 1:00. The video i posted "Laura Branigan - Self Control" it really sounds like vocals are coming from the right side of my ear. Then when i take off the right side and move the headphone, i can still hear the vocals on left side - put both sides back on my ears and again it sounds like vocals coming from the right side...
That's why I suggested using the tone.
The second video sounds like the phase of left and right is completely f*ed up. I can't handle listening over a minute. So it's the video.
First video is not available anymore.

shfter

That's why I suggested using the tone.
The second video sounds like the phase of left and right is completely f*ed up. I can't handle listening over a minute. So it's the video.
First video is not available anymore.
For the first video, you have to watch it on youtube as it won't allow watching it when linked on another website. Maybe the seperation is good and i'm not used to it on the A90.. i don't know.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
For the first video, you have to watch it on youtube as it won't allow watching it when linked on another website. Maybe the seperation is good and i'm not used to it on the A90.. i don't know.
Don't listen to the second video. It will mess up with your brain. I don't see large issue with first video. Slightly maybe.

shfter

Don't listen to the second video. It will mess up with your brain. I don't see large issue with first video. Slightly maybe.
lol noted. I guess in this situation i learned two things
Analytical headphones such as DT1990 + A90 that's good with separation is gonna fuck your head, now i realize why they call DT1990 a studio headphone.
On the first video at 1:22 where he shooting the gun i paused, played, paused played, with various volumes on my A90 and it sound the same position slightly to the right. I then tried another headphone amplifier and it again sounded slightly to the right but not as detailed or clear as with the A90

naviivan

Another example:

2nd video seems like they are really messing with the stereo settings. Like when you shift the left/right balance back and fourth on the amp.
Listening to it via headphones plugged into my MacBook.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
lol noted. I guess in this situation i learned two things
Analytical headphones such as DT1990 + A90 that's good with separation is gonna fuck your head, now i realize why they call DT1990 a studio headphone.
On the first video at 1:22 where he shooting the gun i paused, played, paused played, with various volumes on my A90 and it sound the same position slightly to the right. I then tried another headphone amplifier and it again sounded slightly to the right but not as detailed or clear as with the A90
The recording itself is fucked. Likely some sort of widening tricks.
First one tho, I think it's the game itself.

Again, this calls for the tone generator. If you don't hear issue with that then there's no issue.

shfter

I'm glad it's not my set up, thanks guys
I guess it's a very wide opener for me realizing just how many songs/videos are mastered terribly. What confused me at first i notice an issue, then look at comments and realize zero people mention it.... So i then think my system has issues and then downhill from there. But looks like A90+analytical headphones is just very good at separation / imaging.
I tested again with this video;
First guy talking, sounds like he is on the right side because he is obviously on the right side of the camera, so makes sense why it picks it up like that. (thanks stereo).

HeyFkFace

I almost went deaf a couple seconds ago, had the volume quite high and all of a sudden i heard a very loud static sound for 2-3 seconds and the D90 disconnected - i checked the Topping driver on windows and it was blank. Fixed it by turning it off by the switch on the back then turning it back on. You ever had this happen to you JohnYang1997 ?

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Another example:

Yes, lots of tracks are mastered without center focus, just like photography's rule of 1/3rd's you want to provide placement and movement showing differences and change at the same time as stability and focus - to always have your subject focused in the center is "boring", "amateurish", "artless".

I'm listening on an M15 with DT990 600ohm H Gain + "Over-ear headphone" mode and rocking out to Laura Brannigan - and she's voicing from just off center right "aimed" toward the center from her position so the sound "travels" from her off center stage toward the center, while accents are dropping all around but focused in the wide left with the bass beat 1/2 equidistant from Laura in the Left channel.

It's normal. Find some Compressed Pop with the Center burning bright to get a reference - you'll grow past that crutch and be free to have the music "come from" any quadrant. :)

Last edited:

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I almost went deaf a couple seconds ago, had the volume quite high and all of a sudden i heard a very loud static sound for 2-3 seconds and the D90 disconnected - i checked the Topping driver on windows and it was blank. Fixed it by turning it off by the switch on the back then turning it back on. You ever had this happen to you JohnYang1997 ?
I haven't had an audible anomaly like that during a disconnect, but you may be having distance issue or cable issue - length too long or not full seated. Are you plugged in to a USB 3.x port or a USB 2.x, try moving to a USB 2.x port.

HeyFkFace

I haven't had an audible anomaly like that during a disconnect, but you may be having distance issue or cable issue - length too long or not full seated. Are you plugged in to a USB 3.x port or a USB 2.x, try moving to a USB 2.x port.
First time it happened, quite strange indeed. Game froze when i went to minimize it and the D90 went haywire. So I'm thinking perhaps driver related - especially since it wouldn't connect back to the computer even when i shut it off by the remote.

I'll change USB location now, i have it in USB 3.0

Tachyon88

First time it happened, quite strange indeed. Game froze when i went to minimize it and the D90 went haywire. So I'm thinking perhaps driver related - especially since it wouldn't connect back to the computer even when i shut it off by the remote.

I'll change USB location now, i have it in USB 3.0

What game were you playing ? Do you have an A90 as well ? This has happend to me twice while playing modern warfare. Game froze and went to a real loud white noise sound. I'm connceted to a su8 via balanced and optical though. Had to yank my headphones off in a hurry and did a hard reset of my pc. I seriuosly doubt an amp would do this, but what you described sounded similar to what happened to me.

Top Bottom