• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

TimF

Forum Donor
I appreciate that amirm recognizes that $5,900 for a pair of speakers as expensive. I behooves us enthusiasts to tone down, or limit, or restrict a tendency towards equipment grandiosity or snobbery or otherwise losing touch with down to earth people.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
The price is high, but the level of performance is undeniable and they're targeted at a specific group of people (studio engineers), sort of like a driver's car as opposed to an ultra-luxury car (let's say Wilson speakers). This model is 4 years old and it sits at the top of ASR's tested speaker heap. Perhaps at some point a company will come along and make something close enough for 20% of the price.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks and yeah I was thinking 8341 with subs. It looks like the dynamic SPL capability is pretty high for 8341 if you high pass which means the little coaxial mid/tweeter is up to the task. Just confirming I am not wrong in thinking that as the kef coax unit for example is quite a bit larger at more like 5”

Keep in mind that the Genelec is a 3-way speaker, so you are easing the burden on the woofers with a sub, and not the midrange.

samysound

Keep in mind that the Genelec is a 3-way speaker, so you are easing the burden on the woofers with a sub, and not the midrange.
Hi
Yeah, good point, that’s exactly what I am trying to figure out. Does the midrange output capability become limiting with volume/distortion in a medium room versus the intended near field use

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
@samysound You're in luck because Genelec have a comprehensive guide to monitor selection:

https://www.genelec.com/correct-monitors

Two of many charts:

correct-monitors-spl-chart.jpg

product_performance.png

samysound

Hi
Yeah, good point, that’s exactly what I am trying to figure out. Does the midrange output capability become limiting with volume/distortion in a medium room versus the intended near field use
Also I think the midrange cross over is 500hz for the 8341 vs 32 for the 8351.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Genelecs are typically capable of playing 10-20dB louder in the midrange (500hz+) than in the frequencies played by the woofer(500hz and below for the 8341a).

Considering how much SPL is reduced in actual musical content as frequency increases, loudness capability from 1khz up is almost completely irrelevant in any speaker design, the major limitation is 20-1000hz capability.

So any load reduction from the woofer in The Ones will translate to increased SPL output, up to probably 15 or maybe even 20dB(might need the 8351B for that) if you replace the built-in woofer entirely with a W371A.

That said, it is pretty hard to determine the boost you get from a sub that only replaces 100hz and below without actual experimentation. But I would expect at least 5dB. We don't actually know how the 8341A woofer compares to the ones we do know about.

8331a and 8351a SPL vs distortion
8331-MAX-1024x767.jpg

Genelec-8351A-Studiomonitor-Messungen3.jpg

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
That said, it is pretty hard to determine the boost you get from a sub that only replaces 100hz and below without actual experimentation. But I would expect at least 5dB. We don't actually know how the 8341A woofer compares to the ones we do know about.
This is why I wish we had more subwoofer data to compare against. Is it really necessary to spend $3,950 on the matching Genelec 7370 subwoofer to ensure consistency or are there a number of less expensive subs that could serve the purpose?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is why I wish we had more subwoofer data to compare against. Is it really necessary to spend $3,950 on the matching Genelec 7370 subwoofer to ensure consistency or are there a number of less expensive subs that could serve the purpose?

It's not necessary IMO, the reason to spend is for easy one-step integration with GLM. But if you are using something like a miniDSP SHD w/Dirac or are willing to do the work yourself for a miniDSP + REW crossover, it should be just as good.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
It's not necessary IMO, the reason to spend is for easy one-step integration with GLM. But if you are using something like a miniDSP SHD w/Dirac or are willing to do the work yourself for a miniDSP + REW crossover, it should be just as good.
Another reason would be multichannel using the 7 analogue I/O. For more than stereo using a fully digital chain, you need the 9301A interface, though.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Given my experience with my recently purchased pair of 8351B’s I’d recommend staying with a native GLM sub. GLM works really well in untreated rooms like the one I have them in... Although, in my living room, I really don’t feel a need for a sub and they can play really loud, ear bleeding, house shaking loud...

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given my experience with my recently purchased pair of 8351B’s I’d recommend staying with a native GLM sub. GLM works really well in untreated rooms like the one I have them in... Although, in my living room, I really don’t feel a need for a sub and they can play really loud, ear bleeding, house shaking loud...

Could you expand on that? I'm definitely not saying that doing your own crossover is easy. Properly correcting and time/phase aligning with REW+MiniDSP is a bunch of work and requires reading and research especially if you don't already have a basic understanding. If you have the money to spare, GLM will certainly do a great job which is not guaranteed by DIY.

On the other hand, Genelec sub pricing is truly ridiculous, for the price of the single 7360A you could buy two Rythmik F12s and have money left over for software and hardware to do multi-sub optimization.

As far as I understand, GLM is not that sophisticated in terms of bass management. In GLM 4.0 which is the upcoming(? not sure if out yet) version, it will do automatic sequential frequency response and phase correction of multiple subwoofers. But it won't combine and independently equalize them to produce a better sum across the listening positions the way the Dirac Live bass module does, or the way you can do using Multi-Sub Optimizer manually.

If GLM corrected the sum bass response at the listening position by using every available woofer(sub or otherwise) then I would agree you can't possibly do better, but I don't think it is capable of that. Given the price of their subs, it really should be.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Output and quality wise there are WAY better subs out there $4,000, depending on where you live. The 7370 gives you balanced inputs(though some ID sub manf. will do on request), which should be less hassle to connect a pro system. You also get integration with GLM. I have no experience with GLM, personally, but I've heard great things about it. I have a friend who has GLM and Dirac, and he says GLM is easier and less buggy to work with.

I'm fairly confident that ID Subs + Dirac will sound better than 7370 + GLM if setup properly. The "if" is crucial, though, as it could just as easily sound worse. I definitely hope to do a thorough comparison at some point. I think it would be really interesting.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Could you expand on that? I'm definitely not saying that doing your own crossover is easy. Properly correcting and time/phase aligning with REW+MiniDSP is a bunch of work and requires reading and research especially if you don't already have a basic understanding. If you have the money to spare, GLM will certainly do a great job which is not guaranteed by DIY.

On the other hand, Genelec sub pricing is truly ridiculous, for the price of the single 7360A you could buy two Rythmik F12s and have money left over for software and hardware to do multi-sub optimization.

As far as I understand, GLM is not that sophisticated in terms of bass management. In GLM 4.0 which is the upcoming(? not sure if out yet) version, it will do automatic sequential frequency response and phase correction of multiple subwoofers. But it won't combine and independently equalize them to produce a better sum across the listening positions the way the Dirac Live bass module does, or the way you can do using Multi-Sub Optimizer manually.

If GLM corrected the sum bass response at the listening position by using every available woofer(sub or otherwise) then I would agree you can't possibly do better, but I don't think it is capable of that. Given the price of their subs, it really should be.
I don’t have a Genelec sub, and don’t intend to get one, I feel that the 8351B give me plenty of low frequency information for my needs. But GLM transformed their sonic presentation in my untreated room in a way REW + individual Roon EQ never did with my passive speakers set up. Not counting the fact that it works out of the box without tweaks. It’s much easier to use than REW and it is fairly quick. And the settings are stored in the speakers not requiring extra hardware for the EQ.

I can’t comment whether Genelec subs are better or not than others... But if they sound as good as the One’s I have, they will be excellent and GLM functionality will be seamless.

GLM also allows you to control the volume at the speaker if you are sending a digital signal via AES/EBU. Which is the way Genelec finds optimal (that’s the setup they recommended I use for critical listening).

I’m using GLM 4.0 beta (stable so far - feels like a final release), and I use individual calibration for each speaker due to my asymmetrical in room setup. I’m not sure whether it treats subs individually or not... I do feel confident that they know what they are doing though.

Regarding price, you can try ordering from an European online pro store. You won’t have to pay sales taxes and there’s room for negotiation, you should be able to get at least 5% off. US markup is a little too much IMO.
7360A from a EU store

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t have a Genelec sub, and don’t intend to get one, I feel that the 8351B give me plenty of low frequency information for my needs. But GLM transformed their sonic presentation in my untreated room in a way REW + individual Roon EQ never did with my passive speakers set up. Not counting the fact that it works out of the box without tweaks. It’s much easier to use than REW and it is fairly quick. And the settings are stored in the speakers not requiring extra hardware for the EQ.

Oh sure, agreed GLM is great. But no reason you can't use GLM to correct a pair of Ones and then something else to do a subwoofer crossover if you so choose. Granted, you wouldn't be able to use the volume control if you did that for obvious reasons.

But yeah. I do think for stereo music listening just going up to the 8351B instead of getting a sub may be a better idea as well. Just keep it simple. But if you want to go whole-hog and have a multi-channel setup or even just perfectly even bass down to 20hz, you'd want at least two subs to smooth out room modes and that's where 'just buy Genelec subs' starts to become a bit too crazy, at least for my wallet.

¥€$

Would be amazing if someone with a Genelec sub could send that sub to Josh Ricci at databass, to see how it stacks up objectively with similarly priced options. Neumann, too. I'd be willing to chip in for shipping, and I'm sure others would be, too.

As far as subjective listenings from various sources go, not very well. I wish I knew why, maybe people expect too much from certain expensive products. They, like all Genelec products, are overpriced. Well, overpriced if you consider paying designers and assemblers in peanuts normal ;)

Their price makes them a poor choice if you don't already own Genelec speakers, even if they measure adequately.

Cortes

I have a question about the gennies. I've observed that I like my Genelecs 8331s very close to my ear. 50cm much better than 100cm. Of course, I decrease the volume when I get closer, because I don't like loud music.

What does it mean with respect to my sound preferences?.

Top Bottom