• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi, I currently have a Fiio K5 Pro and the Moondrop Starfields (100$ IEM well reviewed) but I have a problem; even at the lowest gain level (with windows volume at 100%) I have to keep the volume very low. Is it the same for the topping L30 (perhaps combined with an E30)? or does it have a "higher volume range" at lower gain?
With the -9dB volume setting you should have good volume range even with IEMs.

Tks

Major Contributor
Is 6 inches the ideal length of RCA cable to connect the L30 to my D10s? Trying to minimize desktop clutter, but 6 inches seems really short!
6" is more than enough so as long as the cables you buy aren't some stiff things, or the stack isn't jammed up against a wall (the wires will be U shaped when connected, they won't be dangling down like a 2 foot wire as you can imagine).

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Did I see the red E30/L30 stack? :cool:

They are going to have a Blue as well as a Red stack soon.

E30_L30.jpg

rppj

Hi there, I'm quite new to this whole audio thing and just received my L30+E30 stack as my first desktop dac/amp 2 days ago. It's been great so far. The L30 does get a little warm to touch but I'm not particularly fussed/concerned by it (not any warmer than say my laptop when it's charging, for eg.)

I'm not sure if this is the place to mention this but I do have an issue when I plug in my TinAudio T4s. The first time I listened through them, my ears got zapped a lil and I had to take them off. It was just the once and I've been quite careful when I put on my T4s when I plug them into the L30.

This also happened when I tried listening to them on my iPad while it was being charged (ok, perhaps that wasn't such a great idea), but I was hoping that it won't happen on a desktop amp. Is there something I can do about it? Thanks!

raif71

Major Contributor
Chord Mojo can output 4.5V, I love to hear that through L30

1600090764801.png

Here is a mojo setup as such : Hiby R5-->Mojo-->L30

Not sure about the 4.5V but I suppose you meant running the volume max on the Mojo. However I only set mojo to output line level voltage and in this case from the Mojo spec, line level voltage is 3V. I'm happy to say that at 3V input, Beethoven 5th and 7th by Carlos Kleiber has more volume leeway and I was comfortable around 2 oclock or so instead of maxing the volume when using e30. Talking about operating at 0db gain here. Sound is awesome too using the mojo as dac. Headphone used was Senn hd600

Sonny

Forum Donor
I received today both the E30 and L30 (EU) in silver, they are smaller than what I thought, which is a bonus for me, the stack looks beautiful.
Just some notes, maybe it can be of help like others.

- after some hours of listening at 0 and +9 gain with Audeze LCD2 classic they are both definitely warm, but not something I'd consider hot, considering the room T is 26-27°c.. Maybe I'll try with a probe just out of curiosity.
- The E30 is on the bottom, L30 on top, so the volume pot is easily reachable, no problem for me with the headphone jack being too close with this configuration.
- I can't feel the little play on the volume pot. I can feel something though, more like an "elastic" turning (very minimal honestly), let's say it's not a super sharp turn. Sorry for the lack of better words, I'm not english or american.
- not sure for now, but I think I prefer + 9 gain with the LCD2 classic and volume around 12 o'clock, max 2 o'clock If I'm feeling brave, but it's dangerously loud. Relaxed listening in the evening I'd say 0 gain and 12 o'clock volume, so I guess for more hungry headphones the L30 has quite some power.

FYI E30 is s/n 2008xxx, L30 2007xxx.

So far I'm very satisfied, I guess I found everything I need: congratulation to JohnYang1997.

Thalis

Received the L30 today... I decided to stack the E30 on top instead as I kinda did not like the headphones cable up so high (OCD?) Running it at 0dB gain with the K240 MkII. Comfotarble listening levels is around 1 to 2 o'clock depending on the source. The amp is warm to touch after awhile so I hope this will be alright and I live near the equator.

Preout is feeding the Little Bear P-1 set to 12 o'clock then vol control is at the L30. The tube hybrid is a little louder at the same volume pot setting on the L30. I do find the L30 has better bass control maybe due to the P-1's high impedance output (31 ohms)? It very subtle for certain sources though.

Very impressed. The sound is really very clean and the highs are very nice. The modded P-1 is no slouch but the L30 is just that bit ahead especially in bass quality. Overall really happy with the purchase.. my endgame combo for headphones. :p

Oh I took this forum's suggestion to make interconnects using RG6/U cable. Made them to about 28cm with locking RCAs so no soldering.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They are going to have a Blue as well as a Red stack soon.
@maxxevv , I am on the verge of ordering two 'E30 + L30' stacks from Audiophonics. Actually I should have ordered them a couple days ago.
And now that I'm about to pass the order, I see that they are going to be available in blue and red too ! :D That would be great for my use as I could easily differentiate them.
Any hints on their availability ?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
@maxxevv , I am on the verge of ordering two 'E30 + L30' stacks from Audiophonics. Actually I should have ordered them a couple days ago.
And now that I'm about to pass the order, I see that they are going to be available in blue and red too ! :D That would be great for my use as I could easily differentiate them.

That photo was taken from Topping at the recent audio show in Guangzhou I believe. The person(s) to probably ask would be @JohnYang1997 or @TP-Wong . They are in the deep with regards to Topping's products.

Jose Hidalgo

Thanks. I hope one of them answers soon. I've been trying to reach John Yang for weeks now on another matter. Have tagged him and PMed him several times since august 29th, without success. I understand that they may be busy, but John Yang comes to this forum almost every day (last connection yesterday), so I don't know why he doesn't seem to read his PMs.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks. I hope one of them answers soon. I've been trying to reach John Yang for weeks now on another matter. Have tagged him and PMed him several times since august 29th, without success. I understand that they may be busy, but John Yang comes to this forum almost every day (last connection yesterday), so I don't know why he doesn't seem to read his PMs.
10.0cm x 13.5cm x 3.2cm for dimensions

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
-20f2bd4c2156fa90.jpg
63c51ef60672fb9b.jpg
46adc1719baa7b4e.jpg

Photos from recent HIFI Show held in Guangzhou.
Availability wise, it won't be available until October or November. We wish to be able to produce this month and hopefully ship next month. But it may take longer.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi there, I'm quite new to this whole audio thing and just received my L30+E30 stack as my first desktop dac/amp 2 days ago. It's been great so far. The L30 does get a little warm to touch but I'm not particularly fussed/concerned by it (not any warmer than say my laptop when it's charging, for eg.)

I'm not sure if this is the place to mention this but I do have an issue when I plug in my TinAudio T4s. The first time I listened through them, my ears got zapped a lil and I had to take them off. It was just the once and I've been quite careful when I put on my T4s when I plug them into the L30.

This also happened when I tried listening to them on my iPad while it was being charged (ok, perhaps that wasn't such a great idea), but I was hoping that it won't happen on a desktop amp. Is there something I can do about it? Thanks!
L30 is fully isolated from the earth. E30 should also be the same if using phone charger. Try power E30 using a phone charger and see if anything changes.

Jose Hidalgo

10.0cm x 13.5cm x 3.2cm for dimensions
Thanks. It wasn't my PM question, but nevermind, I have found a workaround so don't worry.

I'm happy that these blue and red versions are coming soon. I may be able to wait until then. I hope Audiophonics references them soon enough so I can at least pass my order and wait patiently for them. :)