• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ultimate 1ET400A Purifi Amplifier sonic shootout - €820 to €8,344

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The VTV is sonically superior. It leaves more money in your pocket for better speakers and room treatments. :p

jae

Major Contributor
I have no idea if they are going to develop their own amps. For sure you’ll see EVAL2 (mono blocks) very soon.
And here’s the question if mono blocks can bring measurable improvements and how big they could be in relation to additional costs..,
Building monos could be even 30-40% more expensive than stereo version (two smps, two enclosures, etc.).
It seems that from performance/costs point of view, the best solution is to buy EVAL1 and put it into DIY enclosure. You probably won’t hear any difference between this and other very expensive variations (even measurements possibly won’t differ very much?).

Definitely, the savings and ease to DIY these modules makes the choice without a thought to me. Saves a significant cost over buying a pre-made option which increases the value and frankly I would probably DIY it regardless because I find almost all the chassis in the premade options ugly. The only ones I actually like the look of are March Audio's and ATM audio. And with ATM you are basically paying $4000 alone for the machined chassis and thats just for a monoblock. Would rather just buy dual AHB2 at that point.

I heard mentioned both here and a few other forums a power supply from purifi was in the works. Makes sense from a business perspective anyway for them to do that because practically everyone using these modules are using hypex or another custom solution. I doubt spec wise it would it would be much better but it may come in various power specs for mono/stereo setups or perhaps two power connectors for those that use separate mono buffers.

Last edited:

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Do not underestimate the cost to DIY an amplifier. At quantities of one or two the parts add up.
Using a switcher power supply levels it some. Power transformers, diode banks, and filter caps can add up quick.
Same with a prefab case.
It looks like the case and power supplies are used for multiple products by these builders. They can order dozens at a time.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Do not underestimate the cost to DIY an amplifier. At quantities of one or two the parts add up.
Using a switcher power supply levels it some. Power transformers, diode banks, and filter caps can add up quick.
Same with a prefab case.
It looks like the case and power supplies are used for multiple products by these builders. They can order dozens at a time.
Sure! Don't underestimate that builders have to eat too (and sometime enjoy a beer or two) ;). So some margins are needed.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor

maty

Major Contributor
You still need to add regulation to the Neurochrome. IMO the vtv would be a better choice. Ymmv

The context of my comment was that it is better to spend the money on other components instead of a double mono with the PURIFI 1ET400A. Bruno Putzeys or another member of the company commented that double mono was not necessary with this module, which did not contribute anything.

For the rest, there each and his money.

jalejos

Audio Company
It was a good idea to create the options thread for the Purifi 1ET400. A great job. Please add.
ATM-Audio model EPM-450 stereo with CNC milled chassis. https://atm-audio.com/product/epm-450-stereo/ Buffer with SIL994
ATM-Audio model EPM3P mono https://atm-audio.com/product/epm3p/ Buffer with OPA1602
Buffer NC500/Purifi with op. amp. https://atm-audio.com/product/buffer-hypex-nc500/
Buffer NC500/Purifi with Korg Nutube valve. https://atm-audio.com/product/buffer-korg-nutube/
Op. Amp. SIL994 https://atm-audio.com/product/sonic-imagery-sil994-enh-ticha-dual/
Op. Amp. SIL990 https://atm-audio.com/product/sonic-imagery-sil990-enh-ticha/
More info and updates: https://atm-audio.com/blog/

Last edited:
OP
G

GuernseyBunker

Forum Donor
I have no idea if they are going to develop their own amps. For sure you’ll see EVAL2 (mono blocks) very soon.
And here’s the question if mono blocks can bring measurable improvements and how big they could be in relation to additional costs..,
Building monos could be even 30-40% more expensive than stereo version (two smps, two enclosures, etc.).
It seems that from performance/costs point of view, the best solution is to buy EVAL1 and put it into DIY enclosure. You probably won’t hear any difference between this and other very expensive variations (even measurements possibly won’t differ very much?).

Purifi SMPS would be great to see...

Do you think any changes to circuit iteration with Eval2 Mono blocks?

Although DIY cost is much greater for building mono block, I do not suppose there is such a big difference on cost to manufacture Eval2 vs Eval2?

Mono block eval and diminutive SMPS would be great to add channel three sub power hack to existing amps.

What do you think???

jae

Major Contributor
Same with a prefab case.

When doing a purifi stereo build, assuming you're using the hypex 1200 psu and a ghent audio case kit I'm getting about $1150 +/- $100 or so depending on what input buffers are used. That price includes shipping and that assumes you're paying full retail price for everything. If you're more industrious you can save chunk of that with a DIY buffer or a different PSU solution, or even an existing/cheaper chassis. Some prebuilt amps like the VTV one are near that price if using the stock buffer, but the problem is when you factor in things like shipping or import tax to other countries it quickly becomes a lot more expensive. The popular cheaper European alternatives are closer to $1400-1600 USD from what I've seen and they go as high as $3-5k or more. Both the US and European pre-made ones are often sold out too.

Last edited:

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Trying to second guess what a Purifi Eval2 will bring is easy. Bruno must never sleep.
It will be better. Whether that is distortion/noise, bandwidth, size, cost, or all the above. Bandwidth is where he really has room to advance. 100, 200, or 500 kHz -3 dB point.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I reckon all those Purifi amps should come with a few bottles of this stuff:

Similar specs too: 0.0001% of germs left, much better than those "other" sanitzers with 0.01% of TRG (total remaining germs).

1592532954632.png

https://cleanhandsandmore.com/

Last edited:
Does anyone think one could actually hear the difference between a top quality linear power supply based NC1200 vs a SMPS on a Purifi? The NC1200 is a Trinnov Amplitude 8 and the Purifi would be a NAD M28. Pre/Pro will be a Trinnov Altitude 16, and one thing about the Trinnov amp is that it has matched gain on the inputs with the pre/pro outputs obviously to make a better pair. How much of an advantage is that if any? Does this decision even matter that much when these products are so close measurement wise? Thanks!

jae

Major Contributor
How does the Purifi compares with the BOSC monoblocs?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B_64mCNoxf4JqQZ1kdWvtIIWl-ij_8nk
Which one would you chose over the othe?

The BOSC is a nice product but why pay more or a similar price to get less? You lose more half the power by going with the BOSC over the Purifi and the associated performance/specs that come with it, and then you must have these large laptop-brick-looking external power supplies that to me, defeats many of benefits of having such a small form factor in the first place.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's killing me that we are seeing the commoditization of clean powerful amplifiers and consumers are still trying to convince themselves to spend more money for the exactly same product in a shinier box, inside of a nicer shipping box, with a better story. You could probably go down to the local machine shop and get a one off billet piece of aluminium machined out for less than some of these if what you really wanted was an over the top enclosure. For sure you could get a custom box made from metal plate and have someone powder coat it.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Guess I need the BOSC monobkocks to the list of amps I want.
1. Benchmark AHB2
2. VTV Purifi
3. Denafrips Hyperion
4. Orchard BOSC
5. VTV Pacshal 250 Pro2.

Guess next is to convince the wife I have to have these. Need to be quick before there is another added to list.
Saw the BOSC is made in two versions. One has inputs on one side and output on the opposite. Made to be mounted on speaker cabinet. To keep speaker cables like bi-wire jumpers. Inches long.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any build that uses those silly discrete opamps will be inferior in measurements to a build using TI, AD, ON, etc. opamps. Audibly inferior? Probably not. My guess is that sonically, all Purifi builds will sound the same.

Top Bottom