• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ultimate 1ET400A Purifi Amplifier sonic shootout - €820 to €8,344

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Added price:

VERA AUDIO P150/600 RS AMPLIFIER = € 2733 (29 600 NOK) ex VAT
https://www.vera-audio.com/newsarticle.php?news_id=3
Congrats on this product. It really ticks all the right boxes of features and performance. Price seems reasonable too, especially when someone can buy 1 and upgrade to another later.

Question: how is 2.x ohms load in bridge mode? My Thiel CS3.7s are mostly in the 2.7 ohms range, quite current hungry...

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It has duct tape inside of it holding a connector together.

Read the entire thread. It was to prevent the connection coming loose in shipping, they have changed it. They also are now wiring Pin 1 per Hypex requirements.

OP
G

GuernseyBunker

Forum Donor
The guts inside of the $8k amp are basically the same as you can put together for around a tenth of that price DIY and maybe something like double that at most to get what seems like a very high quality product. Or one can do 2 Benchmark AHB2s and a pretty nice set of speakers for about the price of the most expensive product on this list. That's the part that I can't wrap my head around.

I am with you 100% on both counts, but when it comes to hifi - sometimes insanity gets the best of us :)

kukocz

Forum Donor
Definitely, the savings and ease to DIY these modules makes the choice without a thought to me. Saves a significant cost over buying a pre-made option which increases the value and frankly I would probably DIY it regardless because I find almost all the chassis in the premade options ugly. The only ones I actually like the look of are March Audio's and ATM audio. And with ATM you are basically paying $4000 alone for the machined chassis and thats just for a monoblock. Would rather just buy dual AHB2 at that point.

I heard mentioned both here and a few other forums a power supply from purifi was in the works. Makes sense from a business perspective anyway for them to do that because practically everyone using these modules are using hypex or another custom solution. I doubt spec wise it would it would be much better but it may come in various power specs for mono/stereo setups or perhaps two power connectors for those that use separate mono buffers.
Finally I decided to build it by my self basing on GX288 enclosure. I modified back panel a little bit (basing on cad filed shared on DIY thread) and I'm waiting for processing.

Purifi SMPS would be great to see...

Do you think any changes to circuit iteration with Eval2 Mono blocks?

Although DIY cost is much greater for building mono block, I do not suppose there is such a big difference on cost to manufacture Eval2 vs Eval2?

Mono block eval and diminutive SMPS would be great to add channel three sub power hack to existing amps.

What do you think???
As somebody already mentioned in other thread, thy'll change only a voltage regulator, the rest (opamps) remaining the same. The cost for stereo set (two mono blocks) will be higher than EVAL1.

Yes? Who told you?
I asked them (Purifi) via email :)

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Finally I decided to build it by my self basing on GX288 enclosure. I modified back panel a little bit (basing on cad filed shared on DIY thread) and I'm waiting for processing.

As somebody already mentioned in other thread, thy'll change only a voltage regulator, the rest (opamps) remaining the same. The cost for stereo set (two mono blocks) will be higher than EVAL1.

I asked them (Purifi) via email :)

Oh :) Thanks.

D

Deleted member 65

Armand

Audio Company
Congrats on this product. It really ticks all the right boxes of features and performance. Price seems reasonable too, especially when someone can buy 1 and upgrade to another later.

Question: how is 2.x ohms load in bridge mode? My Thiel CS3.7s are mostly in the 2.7 ohms range, quite current hungry...
While 2 Ohm bridged is possible it is nothing we can really recommend. The power output is the same bridged as in Stereo.
Just for fun I made a measurement with 2 Ohm load today.
1593182351005.png

About 500W with 0.0006% THD+N is the same as in stereo, so there is really no gain. Minimum is around 300W with probably around 0.0003% THD+N but my measurement gear has too high noise to measure low enough. (R&S UPV).
With 2.7 Ohm load the maximum power will be around 800W.

Last edited:
OP
G

GuernseyBunker

Forum Donor
Any new 1ET400A amps or components released recently or that we have missed in the last month or so that can be added to the OP???

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

maty

Major Contributor
When you pay a certain amount of money for a product you want a good job done, as is the case. You know, better galvanized steel than aluminum to isolate, as long as the electronics are more than 6 mm apart (10 mm is more than enough).

I take note of the great integration, wiring included. Other assemblers should take note.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Yes, that is a professional job. Indicates:

1. Know what they are doing.
2. Not a kitchen table build.
3. Maybe be around for a while for support.

I am glad this has been shared. Some of the products shown in the last year look like my builds
600A4CCA-41A2-485A-BC3F-1FFE61920548.jpeg

kaka89

When you pay a certain amount of money for a product you want a good job done, as is the case. You know, better galvanized steel than aluminum to isolate, as long as the electronics are more than 6 mm apart (10 mm is more than enough).

I take note of the great integration, wiring included. Other assemblers should take note.
Wish they have gain control

ririt

I have a basic question related to the fact that most of the Purifi-based amps are provided with XLR inputs. I am envisaging to connect the preout amp connection of an AVR (Denon or Anthem) to a purifi stereo amp. Since these AVR only offers RCA connectors, what is the best way to connect to 2 items? Through pre-assembled RCA to XLR cables? If so, what are the points to pay attention to? Or through a RCA-XLR adaptor (e.g. from neutrik) and then use of conventional XLR cable?
thanks in advance for your feedbacks

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I have a basic question related to the fact that most of the Purifi-based amps are provided with XLR inputs. I am envisaging to connect the preout amp connection of an AVR (Denon or Anthem) to a purifi stereo amp. Since these AVR only offers RCA connectors, what is the best way to connect to 2 items? Through pre-assembled RCA to XLR cables? If so, what are the points to pay attention to? Or through a RCA-XLR adaptor (e.g. from neutrik) and then use of conventional XLR cable?
thanks in advance for your feedbacks
Correctly wired rca to xlr cables. Adaptors and rca cable won't get round a specific issue. You need balance cable and terminate the screen at the far RCA end.

See below, note from Hypex (Bruno Putzeys) on the subject.

1594550851976.png

Top Bottom