• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Photos of rooms with acoustic treatment products

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A few more.

Kino08 (Large).jpg

IMG_1555 (Medium).JPG

DWMs_and_20.7s.JPG

12.jpg

youngho

I am afraid I find many of these rooms are more like an upmarket brothel.
The acoustic problem is biggest if, like me, you like a modern minimalist decor. I am also struck that many of these rooms do not look like they are ever lived in. Do these people not read books and don't they have book cases?

Willem, here's a picture of our cluttered non-brothel family room from last year:
thumbnail_IMG_2580.jpg

Willem

Major Contributor
Thats more like it. Not my style but a real family room.

BeepPeep_61

Happy Sunday everyone,
given Willem's request for photos of multimedia rooms with acoustic treatment really used every day, place some photos of my modest refuge after a hard day's work !!
All the walls are insulated with reinforced concrete covered with 30 mm smooth cork slabs with a special finish.
The wooden ceiling also has a 30 mm layer of polystyrene interposed on the concrete.
A double carpet and absorbers and diffusers were placed in front of the sofa at the corners and on the ceiling of the room.
Good final result but optimized by the DIRAC system of the Minidsp SHD.

20200517_203249.jpg
20200517_203342.jpg
20200517_203415.jpg
20200517_203450.jpg

youngho

Happy Sunday everyone,
given Willem's request for photos of multimedia rooms with acoustic treatment really used every day, place some photos of my modest refuge after a hard day's work !!
All the walls are insulated with reinforced concrete covered with 30 mm smooth cork slabs with a special finish.
The wooden ceiling also has a 30 mm layer of polystyrene interposed on the concrete.
A double carpet and absorbers and diffusers were placed in front of the sofa at the corners and on the ceiling of the room.
Good final result but optimized by the DIRAC system of the Minidsp SHD.

I have wondered about a highly diffusive ceiling before. Would you mind specifying the QRD wooden diffusors you used for the ceiling?

BeepPeep_61

I have wondered about a highly diffusive ceiling before. Would you mind specifying the QRD wooden diffusors you used for the ceiling?

Hi, they are HOFA loudspeakers purchased on the Thomann website at this link:
https://www.thomann.de/it/hofa_diffusor.htm
You can find descriptions, features, colors and compositions available.
Great prices and well-made shipments (here in Europe)

youngho

Hi, they are HOFA loudspeakers purchased on the Thomann website at this link:
https://www.thomann.de/it/hofa_diffusor.htm
You can find descriptions, features, colors and compositions available.
Great prices and well-made shipments (here in Europe)
Thanks! The Thomann website shows the HOFA diffusors as having 6x6 wells (and the description mentions 36 wells), but your picture clearly show 7x7 wells, which I thought was supposed to be better, since 7 is a prime number.

BeepPeep_61

Thanks! The Thomann website shows the HOFA diffusors as having 6x6 wells (and the description mentions 36 wells), but your picture clearly show 7x7 wells, which I thought was supposed to be better, since 7 is a prime number.

Excuse me .... you're right the correct link is this, always on Thomann
https://translate.googleusercontent.../it/the_t.akustik_pro_series_cg_diffusor.htm% 3Fsid% 3Dc9eb9a358e340da3c7079da9ded4dca6 & usg = ALkJrhiFOIYo92h-fXVcGL21bO6K8q6T5w

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is a still from one of Stanley Kubrick's famed films: 2001 A Space Odyssey.

I thought it would be nice because it shows the guy listening to a Magnepan speaker in mono.

It got a lotta likes but the mod didn't seem to like it, so I haven't posted other pics of Maggies in the film.

kach22i

Does anyone have any experience with microperforate panels like Soundply? Check out https://soundply.com/project-gallery/.

While attending a bar mitzvah service, I noticed that a local temple used a similar product (sourced from Europe), but I couldn't comment on effectiveness.
Nice stuff, I've been poking around their website.

At the college my wife teaches at there are several newer buildings that include micro-perforated wood looking ceiling and wall panels.

After visiting and talking to several people that work in these buildings I am confident in saying the general public gives no notice to such things. I cannot help but notice because I am an architect. This is the problem, no one takes notice unless there is a problem, then they want to see what they paid for. To incorporate such technology one needs the budget, and be able to explain the need for the extra expense.

I think in this one respect houses of worship are a captured audience because they have known of poorly performing buildings acoustically speaking and want to avoid being one of them.

Now I will post a PVC, corroplast, foil and Gator tape with suspended carpet pad curved reflector I built and tested in a day - yesterday.

20200524_163544.jpg
20200524_163637.jpg
20200524_153235.jpg
20200524_163500.jpg

I roll them into place as the first/early reflection points fall at inconvenient places. My old HP large format printer is the source of the stands with wall shelf angle bracket and castor wheel attached.

Next generation will be of improved construction and materials and mounted to walls. Shifted forward into the room because of a false front wall I still have to build, and includes new CD storage that will not be in the way.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
or a hinge could allow access to the CDs

Habu

Last edited:

kach22i

or a hinge could allow access to the CDs
This is what I came up with, sliding barn door concept. Also allows some flexibility as to exact position.

20200525_144624.jpg

Post holding up stairs shall be removed (new beam) and CD storage will be flanking on each wall above low slung audio racks (one 2-ch, one H.T.) on each side wall.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
why not toss the CDs and keep the beam?

doesn't seem cost effective to kill the post and add a new beam...

kach22i

why not toss the CDs and keep the beam?

doesn't seem cost effective to kill the post and add a new beam...
The post is right where the speaker wants to be. Normal construction framing would not have a post there.

20200513_082812.jpg
20200513_082812.jpg
20200512_220359.jpg

I do not stream or play computer files, I play CD's, vinyl long play (LP) records and FM radio.

CD's are now going above equipment racks along sidewalls, and out of 1st and 2nd reflection points.

Project evolves.

20200525_154836.jpg

Attaching some sketches from a few nights ago.

20200525_211132.jpg

Last edited:

kevinh

One thing I find curious in some for the 'fully treated' room with the High End Electronics. There are large racks full of equipment between the speakers. This wouldn't seem to help room acoustics as all, lots of hard surfaces that create reflections that would be unwanted.

Are most of the rooms being measured to determine if the acoustics of the room are being optimized?

Top Bottom