• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Dacapalooza

I figured out a way to get my meters without Splitter and even improve my current meters. The Demon can route the unprocessed signal to the Analog outputs. Now only my EQ processed signal goes to the meters, sometimes it's weird seeing the unevenness.
Although, not sure if I want to do this. To use the Trinnov DAC circuitry just for meter.
I just found my dream meter - it even has dynamic range (Peak to Loudness). Although, I would have to use AES splitters. If I bought the Demon 8, that has an extra set of outputs, I would be able to route the unprocessed signal to it.
CLARITY-M_P0D9L_Front_L.jpg

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello again, lkong,

Please take your time for research on your selection and trials of software/hardware crossover solutions. Just for your info, the flexible I/O of EKIO enables "serious listening", and also "casual listening" including streaming web radio as well as YouTube.

As for the lead time to get DAC8PRO, in my case, I placed my order on February 15 and will receive it on Monday May 11 here in Chiba Prefecture, Japan, even under the serious COVID-19 pandemic status. It is now at FedEx Office at Tokyo Narita International Airport, and FedEx just informed me they will deliver it to my home on Monday.

Hello again lkong,

Just for your info, my project is for audio listening only through simple one-way USB connection into DAC8PRO. As you find in recent posts here, if you are also interested in HDMI and/or BR movies, the audio handling with DAC8PRO should be much complicated since you need to utilize the SPDIF/AES routing. Consequently, if you are really serious about high res HDMI and/or BR movies, my project would not be suitable for your reference.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), I am concentrated on "audio only" audio system, and have little interest in high res AV. Furthermore, since I have my "tool and method" for ripping SACD's into native DSD files, all of the about 20,000 non-compressed music tracks in AIFF or DSD format having enough tag information is stored as my music library in 2TB SSD to be played by Roon and JRiver.

On the other hand, in case of "casual viewing and listening" of YouTube video clip using web browser, for example, of course the software crossover EKIO can handle the audio signal properly in synch while I am viewing the video on PC monitor.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Where's the best place to get detailed advice/help on this?
Here or wherever someone can help. There are many "experts" here on AudioPhileStyle and on ASR.
- Oppo can read file shares on either PC
- Oppo reacts properly to the boot-loader
- ISO2DSD runs fine, but errors out with 'can't access device' errors, on either PC (W7, W10); acts like an IP address error, but can see it fine from both PCs, and vice versa.
- Bummed.
What versions of each are you using?
Does the 103 recognise the disc as an SACD?
Are you including the port with the address?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yes & no. Technically you can use HDMI for MCH and seemingly work. But all HDMI DAC implementations are broken except for an Anthem model & usually worse than the Apple dongle according to the host.
Are you referring to prepros and AVRs? Which Anthem model?
Discontinued Correction: For full high-rez HDMI DAC: You can use HDMI input of the discontinued Oppo 205. You can even have room correction with the discontinued HDMI NanoAVR providing you don't actually use the Oppo for BD :). Also no crossover is possible so not really a solution. I have the NanoAvr an if you do crossover downstream the calibration breaks.
What do you mean by calibration?

Dacapalooza

Are you referring to prepros and AVRs? Which Anthem model?
Anthem MRX1120. The host boasts "Overall, I am happy to find an AVR that is not broken and can recommend the Anthem MRX1120"
He has not said that about any other MCH DAC. "Working." So no other HDMI DAC has yet to be found working with all high rez glory of the 24 bits of BD.
I think audio geek music files are also 24 bits. I bought some DVD Audio's at shows and they are 24 bits according to Trinnov. I have some SACD's as well but Trinnov is dedicated to PCM which I wish the Okto was. BD's are PCM so I like when humanity focuses and dedicates devices on what I like :). Although I wouldn't mind if BD's were SACD, then I guess it would be Okto do SACD's. Until that time, the purist in me will not blatantly convert. I love our artists and when their art is presented in the most least edited way possible. Put all my SACD's away in storage. Vanity boasts about their SACD conversion to PCM. Tried it. It sounds Okto listen to. But feel guilty not being pure to the artists. Shame, I really like this one album. I forgot what it was called. Something about the Dark Side. Maybe it was a Star Wars fan song? I miss it it now. On the other hand I also believe in new art as the most essential, so old art is not important to me anyway. Entertainment wise that is.
What do you mean by calibration?
Not sure what you are asking?
Calibration = 1) Plug in microphone to Device. 2) Plug usb to PC. 3) Download app. 4) Run. Viola.
Are you asking the nature of the breakage?
During runtime of the calibration, during its noise emitting the calibration would just stop when crossover was downstream. I knew it is not proper to have crossover downstream but I wanted a taste of Dirac. I justified to my self the crossover is end result anyway... Ideally every woofer in every speaker should be individually calibrated. When not ideal, where is the line? Audyssey didn't complain when I experimented. Although never understood how it calculated the distance being my sub was far from my R.
I feel bad, I thought the nano was broken. Minidsp could not solve either. We thought HDMI issue. Minidsp sent me another one. Until it occurred to me to not do crossover. Did that and it all worked. It did not occur to them either. They never asked about crossovers downstream.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Anthem MRX1120. The host boasts "Overall, I am happy to find an AVR that is not broken and can recommend the Anthem MRX1120"
He has not said that about any other MCH DAC. "Working." So no other HDMI DAC has yet to be found working with all high rez glory of the 24 bits of BD.
Granted but his sample size is minute.
During runtime of the calibration, during its noise emitting the calibration would just stop when crossover was downstream. I knew it is not proper to have crossover downstream but I wanted a taste of Dirac. I
Ah. I had no such expectations but I was using the non-Dirac version of the Nano.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here or wherever someone can help. There are many "experts" here on AudioPhileStyle and on ASR.

What versions of each are you using?
Does the 103 recognise the disc as an SACD?
Are you including the port with the address?

Hm. Something about "Ability to Read AND Follow Instructions" from my 'scripts' during my hiring days.....?
Your comment made me re-read the instructions - again.
Helps to have the right actual files on the USB stick (I didn't realize the door opening was just an indication it was reading that script...not that the extract code was loaded.)
Ripping fine now, in progress.
Thanks!
:facepalm:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well,,,, now at least for me (and probably also for Pavel of OKTO), it becomes very difficult, complicated and confusing what you are discussing here...

This is the thread for DAC8PRO which is pure audio multi-8-channel DAC (with single ES9028PRO DAC tip), and each of the 8 channels is capable of up to 192 kHz PCM and 2xDSD DAC processing.

Pavel of OKTO kindly informed in his mail to myself, as you know; "The limitation for 192kHz PCM and 2xDSD is due to transfer speed limitation in XMOS processor (for 8 channels), not in the DAC chip".

That's all, but of course you may discuss a lot about the I/O routing for DAC8PRO.

If we like to play 2xDSD music/sound tracks in bit streaming, Roon or JRiver can do it through ASIO into DAC8PRO. We need to down sample 4xDSD tracks into 2xDSD or PCM (192 kHz or lower) by Roon, JRiver or other players in order to put it into DAC8PRO.

When we would like to use software crossover like EKIO (also true with TRINNOV ALTITUDE 32 on LINUX in stead of DAC8PRO) between JRiver and DAC8PRO, the upper bit rate is depending on the software crossover; in almost all the software crossover solutions, it is 192 kHz 24 bit which is currently optimal and stable for software processing in PC, also minimizing the "phase and sync issues".

In your complicated discussion on I/O of AV for DAC8PRO, what would be the bit rate (sampling rate) you would like to put into DAC8PRO? I assume you are discussing about 192 kHz 24 bit, right?

Maybe, my comment is too naive here, and you can just through and ignore this post...

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Well,,,, now at least for me (and probably also for Pavel of OKTO), it becomes very difficult, complicated and confusing what you are discussing here...
Maybe, my comment is too naive here, and you can just through and ignore this post...
???? Are we miscommunicating?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to join the discussion on SACD's DSD layer ripping into DSD file having my "tool and method", but quite regretfully to share the SACD ripping info is illegal at least in Japan...

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for your info, my DAC8PRO (order #106, February 15), together with paired Apple Remote controller (order #112, February 29), has just arrived at my home today May 9 Japan Time. I will soon, hopefully within a week or two, start to share and report my experiences in my thread... My rather relaxed days under COVID-19 "stay-home" consensus, however, will end-up tomorrow May 10 Sunday, and my posts will be somewhat slow down from now on....

Last edited:

Dacapalooza

Granted but his sample size is minute.
Agreed. So there is hope.
Also no super high-end processor was tested yet. Krell nor Bryston even my very own Trinnov. My dealer claims Trinnov DAC's are excellent.
Byrston Stereo didn't rate so well, so I guess Krell, Theta & Trinnov is only hope for HDMI MCH DAC. Actually best hope is Theta as they have 3 different DAC options and they have the Jitter Jail - buffer/reclock. They certainly seemed to put a lot of R & D into the DAC.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Feyire

Someone buy the stereo dac ? Tagged as unaivailable since some months..
I bought it as soon as it became available. Estimate for shipping was like 4-6 weeks I think.

ComasSky

There are some tests about the stereo dac ?

I hope order will be available soon :)

Dacapalooza

Everything works in my first try! Yay! A lot could have gone wrong. Trinnov did not require new calibration when I changed routing from analog to dig - unexpected.
Set Okto to 0db & Pure AES and Trinnov is my normal -25db.

Something is wrong volume-wise.
According to my ammeter, way louder. I was expecting lower. Is the DAC increasing vol? Page 1 says 3.3 volt vs 4V so should be lower volume, correct? I assume Trinnov is 4 volts because page 1 also says 4 is the normal expected. Unless Trinnov is 2v? Is that possible?
Sub sounds not so calibrated, which is what it normally sounds like when I increase the volume too much. Exactly why Trinnov should have required a new calibration.
No biggie in and of itself - I can re-calibrate. But not sure how? What is going on? Is the DAC increasing vol? Should I lower Trinnov to -27db?

Biggest issue is how can I compare Okto to Trinnov DAC's? With volume being different? How can I even the volume? Is there a trick to evening out different routing volumes? I can try with ammeter, but not exact science and sounds time consuming.

Top Bottom