• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Non-audio-products sites which are measurement based ("scientific based")

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
TV's and monitors: RTINGS.com

Do you know of other sites like that? (I could want sites for washing machines, tumble dryers and more).

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Using measurements is more the rule than the exception with photography sites.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tom's hardware. Anandtech. Etc for computers.
Car and driver for cars.
Consumer reports

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
numerous subjective evaluations are used in some of the sources noted above

"not that there's anything wrong with that"

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The car sites do a pretty good job. Car and Driver was the best, as far as editorial writing went, but their really good writers either got old and retired or were let go. Now there's only one or two left who know how to write interestingly. Recently C/D hired a lady editor-in-chief with no car experience. I could see where that was taking readers, therefore I wouldn't advise anyone to subscribe. Even though they practically give away subs. I hope it works out for them, but print magazines face a tough marketplace.

FWIW, some C/D reports are on line. Along with subjective impressions, test data is fairly thorough--you can download test sheets that cover relevant acceleration and handling data. Or at least you could. I haven't checked that lately.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated.
I love their programming but the couple of times I have cooked their recipes, they have been awful.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rod & Truck always had the best datasheets

Car & Drunkard had the best subjective reviews and writing - David E. Davis, Brock yates, and later Ceba (sp?)

The very best car writer AFAIK was "Jenks" - Dennis Jenkinson, a Brit.

IIRC, some of the C&D guys split and founded Automobile magazine

- for those of you who recall "magazines"...

BillH

Forum Donor
Tom's hardware. Anandtech. Etc for computers.
Car and driver for cars.
Consumer reports
I agree with all but have reservations with consumer reports. We joined CR to buy a washing machine and dryer. The highest rated systems in the CR review had horrible user reviews and the brand we bought, electrolux, had mediocre to bad reviews by CR but the one of the highest user reviews. Eight years later - good as new.

BillH

Forum Donor
Cooks Illustrated was sort of the original cooking website for quants. In order to figure out how to roast potatoes they would buy 50 or 100 pounds of potatoes and try every combination of temperature, slicing style, face up, face down, flip, don't flip...
They also threw a lot of the science of food products in to explain why the best way made sense.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ceba (sp?)
Csaba Csere. You don't even want to know how it is pronounced! o_O But those were the glory days of the magazine. I actually held a personal moment of silence when I learned that Yates had beamed up. John Phillips was the last of the wild bunch, and I understand he was 'let go' a few months back.

Reactions: Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.

Thing is, the readership changed. And later, the internet wiped out paper periodicals.

I have a bunch of the R&T datasheet silhouettes of cars downloaded (part of my quest for the ultimate (which means, small) sports car).

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with all but have reservations with consumer reports. We joined CR to buy a washing machine and dryer. The highest rated systems in the CR review had horrible user reviews and the brand we bought, electrolux, had mediocre to bad reviews by CR but the one of the highest user reviews. Eight years later - good as new.
I think years ago you could trust review sites like CR. But now everything is made so shoddily it's all a crap shoot. The big decision anymore is whether to get the extended warranty, or just buy something new in a couple of years when what you just bought breaks and can't be fixed, or costs more to fix than a new one.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I love their programming but the couple of times I have cooked their recipes, they have been awful.

We've had good success, though we usually use their recipes as hints and starting points. We have done a few as-written and they seemed to work as intended.

I've had universally bad results from the Kenji Lopez-Alt crew. No idea why they're so popular.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a bunch of the R&T datasheet silhouettes of cars downloaded (part of my quest for the ultimate (which means, small) sports car).
Obviously you're looking at one of Carroll Shelby's AC Cobras. Of course you'll want two: a 289 w/four 2bbl Webers for those 'lean 'n mean' drives; and a 427 with dual quad Holley's when you need that little extra something to push you over the cliff! :)

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
And of course you spent 3hr. cooking something you used to do in 30min. :) (All in fun please)

Top Bottom